Sunday, February 16, 2020

Shetland


Shetland.  What is the first thing that comes to mind? The Shetland Pony? (The little long-haired pony has been there for 4000 years!)  "Shetland", the TV series that is filmed there based on the books by Ann Cleeves?  After reading my post, I hope that you will also think of "Shetland Bus" whenever you hear "Shetland".  (And Shetland is situated in the North Atlantic between Scotland, Norway and the Faroe Islands.)

After Norway was invaded in 1940 by Nazi Germany, some 300 boats filled with refugees left Norwegian shores by heading west. The majority of these went to the islands of Shetland. If these boats could get to Shetland, then they should be able to return, it was reasoned. Those who returned could execute clandestine missions. This became known as the "Shetland Bus.".

So, the Shetland bus- not really a bus, but a wartime resistance movement using boats between Norway and Shetland.
"It was a dark and stormy night"...that is a phrase that should come to mind when you read of this because the most favorable conditions for entering Norwegian waters were on the darkest, stormiest nights, so that put the boats in danger not only from the Germans but also from severe weather. (However, such was the skill of those involved, I think I've read that no boats were lost.)  It soon became apparent that bigger, faster boats were needed. The U.S. Navy donated three American sub-chasers.  I found a video of the sub-chaser and it is much larger and I assume faster than the fishing boats that were used. I can't get that same video on here but I do have another one...




And please look at this link...Shetland. It is an excellent source of information.  While there, pay attention to the map showing the location of the Shetland Islands and that will help you understand the importance of the islands in relation to Norway during World War II.




Like many people, I used to only think of Shetland ponies when I heard the word "Shetland" but years ago, I read a book called "We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance" by David Howarth. The book is an amazing true story of Jan Baalsrud and his escape from Nazi occupied Norway. It is one of my favorite books of all time. It became a film in 1957, "Ni Liv", which means Nine Lives" in Norwegian. The author, David Howarth helped to set up the Shetland Bus and was second in command at the Naval base in Shetland. When he died in 1991, he asked that his ashes were to be scattered over the waters of Lunna Voe, Shetland  which was the first base of the Shetland Bus. His request was honoured.   


Why am I telling you about Shetland? Have I ever been there? No! It is because we recently discovered that Bill, Richard's father was stationed there in World War II.  Some 20,000 British troops were stationed there during the war and that number was greater than the residents. It was very much feared that Germany could invade Britain beginning with the Shetland Islands. (Therefore, the reason for all those British troops.)  There was a very large Nazi occupying force in Norway.  If you draw a straight line around the coastline of Norway, it would measure about 1,650 miles. However, with all the islands, fjords and bays, it measures over 15,000 miles. The Germans thought (incorrectly!) that the Allies might have their landings in the North Atlantic.


Apparently, from what I have read, the people of Shetland were very welcoming to the troops. Just as I hope Bill was able to hear the lady sing in South Africa,  I also hope that he was able to enjoy some of the local entertainment on Shetland. 


----------------------------------------------------------------
I hope my research has been accurate. Please forgive any mistakes that I have made.  All respect and honor to all the brave men and women in the "Shetland Bus" and to all who served on Shetland.

34 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the Shetland Bus before! Very inspiring! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I hear Shetland I think of yarn! And amazing knitting and knitters. I believe Hazel Tindall, the world's fastest knitter, lives there.

    But thanks to you I can now think of the Shetland Bus. I hadn't heard about this until now, so thank you for the informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you would think of beautiful yarn!
      Now, you will also think of the Shetland bus. xx

      Delete
  3. The 'Shetland Bus' was very important. Usually fishermen who knew the waters and could find their way about. Often stopped by German boats. Rescued many escaped prisoners, shot down airmen and Norwegians. I do not think Scotland has forgotten Norway and what they did then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance, you should read that book that I mentioned. I gave it to my brother- in- law as a present and he likes it as much as I do.
      Thanks very much for your comment from Scotland!

      Delete
  4. I can not remember where, probably on a blog - but I have actually read about the Shetland Bus before. And I know the series you mention! Funnily enough, my first thought when hearing "Shetland" is not "pony", but "wool" and "jumper" - Shetland jumpers, knitted of heavy wool in particular patterns, are beautiful and practical at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing, Richard said that Shetland wool is the first thing he thinks of... I asked my son and he immediately said, "Shetland pony!". Being from a place where it is summer for most of the year, we don't think of wool sweaters that much! :-)

      Delete
  5. Interesting history lesson. When I hear Shetland though, I do think of the tv show. I did finally get a map to see exactly where the islands are - further out than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did want to make sure that folks looked at a map to see exactly where Shetland is located. Thanks for doing that!

      Delete
  6. A wonderful, informative post, Kay...thank you. :)

    (I like the TV series "Shetland", by the way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! And I also really love watching "Shetland". They even mention the place names, "Lerwick" and "Sumburgh", being two that is written down in Richard's Dad's handwriting.
      And "Vera", another TV show that I like, is a character from the same author as "Shetland". Ann Cleeves!

      Delete
  7. Watched a documentary about it a while ago and also the old film The Heroes of Telemark with Kirk D. which I enjoyed. Read an Ann Cleeves book a few years ago about the Scottish Islands which was very good and evocative. 'Raven Black', set in Shetland. Nice post. The 'St Kilda Mail Boat' might also be of interest if you haven't heard of it. Easy to look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look up the St. Kilda Mail Boat and you are right, I find that most interesting! And it also makes me want to see St. Kilda and having a go at making a mailboat myself! (Looks as if it is a touristy thing to do now.)
      Thanks for your comment from Scotland!

      Delete
  8. Every which way you look, when evil was truly threatening to take over the world, good found ways to work against it, as much and as hard and as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book that I told you about, all a true story, is a tale of great courage and survival.

      Delete
  9. How nice you visited my blog.. and here I am reading yours! What a neat story of you meeting your pen pal and falling in love.. and such a handsome son! Nice to meet you!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! And I asked you if you know Lucy from Attic 24 but perhaps I should ask if she knows YOU, your crochet work is beautiful!
      Thanks for your comment! xx

      Delete
  10. The saddest thing is that wars still continue , such upsetting news about the plight of Syrian women and children on the radio today.
    I think first of jumpers when I hear the word, Shetland. My mother was Scottish and I wore a variety of decorative Shetland jumpers throughout my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another who thinks of the Shetland wool... as I said above, I am from the hot state of Georgia, in the USA and wool sweaters/jumpers are not something that quickly come to my mind.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for this interesting post on Shetland. I have a good friend who lived there for some years. I've just been reading "A Crowd is Not Company" by Robert Kee, his first hand experience of life in a German POW camp. Nothing to do with Shetland, but the whole way of life in World War 2 was so unlike what we have now, the attitudes people had also. I didn't get around to wishing "Happy New Year" but I hope 2020 has been good to you so far Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you!! You have given me a book that I MUST read! I just looked it up and it is listed as "fiction" but reading more, it is now known that it was his autobiography! (THat's what it said!) I love books written by journalists, they are my favorite writers. So, thank you again!
      And so good to see your comment here, my friend!! I am hoping that 2020 is wonderful for you.

      Delete
  12. How wonderful that Richard's father had this connection to Shetland during WWII! I do love the series Shetland and the books it is based on. Somehow, this post brought up a book (for children) which I read because a Norwegian American friend suggested it to me years ago. It is Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan, an amazing true story of how Norwegian children got 9 million dollars in gold out of Norway by sledding it out under the noses of Nazi invaders. You can read more about it here: https://talesuntangled.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/snow-treasure-fact-or-fiction/. The gold ended up in Baltimore, Maryland. There are so many amazing stories of things that happened in that era which we just seem to find out by accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! I had not heard of that story before and I just did some reading on it. I understand that there are those who might not believe that the children did this but after reading that book that I mentioned in my post, I firmly believe that the Norwegian people including the children could do anything.
      Thanks very much for telling me this!!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. OH! I do hope you will like it as much as I do! I have to tell you, I gave that book to my brother-in-law and he loved it as much as I did. THEN, I found a copy for sale where both David Howarth and the Jan Baalsrud had signed it! You know I had to get it for him!! (It was not very much, the book was in poor condition, but I bought it because they both had signed it.)

      Delete
  14. This is the first time I've heard of the Shetland Bus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So interesting! I did think of the pony at first! So many inspiring stories from that time. Thanks for your comment on my blog about my Dad and that your Father-in-law has the same bday and would have been 100 also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the post that you wrote about your Dad. Richard just wrote on his Facebook and he has allowed me to put it on my blog which I am just about to do right this minute! Thanks very much for your comment. xx

      Delete
  16. I’ve never heard of this either. I’m so thankful to you for sharing all this history that you’ve been researching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. I do wish that you would write a book about your grandfather taking care of those who had leprosy in Hawaii. A lot of people know about Father Damian, they should know about your relative also.

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing this, Kay. I knew nothing about the Shetland Bus. What a wonderful story. There are so many stories of courage. Things like this give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about it until I read that book I told you about, and I was astonished to learn of it. I want to know everything about everything!

      Delete