Friday, September 13, 2019

Milton Hershey, Chocolate and Accolades







September 13, 1857...that is the date that Milton Hershey was born.
Of course you all know Hershey Chocolates! The Hershey bar was invented in 1900 and the Hershey's kisses in 1907. (I have seen varying dates on that but it is close enough for me.)  The Hershey bar was a part of the rations supplied to the troops in WWII. Milton Hershey is the one behind the famous chocolate company that bears his name but he was not just a successful businessman but was also a great philanthropist. 
Read some of his quotes...


"One is only happy in proportion as he makes others happy".

"An interest in something new triumphs over the calendar". 
(Never too old for new things.)

"If I rest, I rust."

The town of Hershey, Pennsylvania was built around the Hershey chocolate factory and he wished to build a model town.  He envisioned a town that would be a nice place to live: tree lined streets, good schools, public transportation and parks.  (I remember my own Dad saying that he once drove though Pennsylvania and as he came near Hershey, he could smell the chocolate from miles away.  Don't know about you but I love that.)

"Hershey: The Sweetest Place on Earth"

Milton Hershey's wife, Catherine "Kitty" sadly died in 1915.  In the year 1918, Milton Hershey gave sixty MILLION dollars to the Hershey Industrial School for Boys (now called the Milton Hershey School.) This was his entire fortune of Hershey Chocolate Company stock. There is a statue of Milton Hershey at the school and on it there is a plaque that reads: "His deeds are his monuments. His life is our inspiration."

I hope this post will make you think of Milton Hershey whenever you see a Hershey kiss! There is a lovely story of a gentleman who gives away Hershey's kisses... you may see that story just here.


"All I really need is love but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt".  That is a quote from Lucy from Peanuts.   I agree!









Our yellow daises are beginning to bloom now (these are photos from last year at this time) and they are beautiful to see. Sweet!


25 comments:

  1. Many years ago, during a very stressful time I was sitting in Starbucks. A very elderly gentleman and his daughter came in the store. On his way to the counter to order their coffee he reached in his pocket and handed me a Hershey Kiss. He said that I looked as if I needed a hug, but a kiss would have to do. It is one of those memories that I think about when I feel all alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! Thank you very much for sharing it here.
      Just a little thing, I once had an elderly gentleman tap my shoulder and give me a cough drop. We were at the American Legion building and it was a service for the Four Chaplains (Look this story up!) and it was in February. I was very grateful.

      Delete
  2. I love Hershey's Kisses. Thanks for the bio on this great man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My posts these days are just bits of info but I hope it will make you look up more about him.

      Delete
  3. Oh I do love chocolate ! I've never been to Hershy PA but always keep Kisses on hand for the grand babes. They love them! And I love the grands! They say there is nothing better than a friend, than a friend with chocolate! Thanks for all the sweet thoughts today ! Hugs and Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and kisses to you too! I know that Milton Hershey looked on the bright side of life!

      Delete
  4. Lucy is very wise. Chocolate is also considered an herb so good two times over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good friend who loves dark chocolate and she is the healthiest person I know!

      Delete
  5. He sounds like someone i would have enjoyed knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does smell like chocolate in Hershey. My ex-husband did some work for the Hershey company many years ago. He got to eat Kisses directly from the production line.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh chocolate right off the line, sounds heavenly!
      You know I am thinking of Lucy stuffing all those chocolates in her mouth, of course!

      Delete
  7. Those yellow daisies just make me feel happy! And reading about a man whose deeds were good does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! He followed the GOLDEN rule, so my flowers match!

      Delete
  8. I've never been to Hershey PA but it's on the "list"! We're not that far from there. What a great story about the candy bar man, Bob. It's amazing how just one act of kindness can make the world a better place. Why we complicate life is a mystery isn't it? A smile and chocolate makes a day turn great! Hugs and Kisses to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love that the Hershey Company heard his story and they now supply the chocolate to him to give away. A great story!
      Hugs and kisses to you!

      Delete
  9. That is a lot of money these days....it was a huge, huge amount in 1918!

    The gift of giving is the gift.

    Lovely story, Kay...and by the way...I've just come back inside after spreading fertiliser around the base of my lemon tree. It is absolutely covered in blossoms...and the bees were having a party when I was out there! I put the fertiliser around it this morning because...fingers crossed...a storm is predicted for later today. Not a lot of rain predicted, but one can only hope. A little bit will not be scoffed at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! And I also have some lemon tree seedlings! Those shiny dark green leaves make me very happy.

      Delete
    2. The prediction was spot on! We got some much-welcome rain from storms that evening...every drop helps! It was wonderful to hear it on the roof...and to savour the aroma of the rain as it fell upon the thirsty ground. My timing could not have been better!! :)

      Delete
    3. Rain is much welcomed when you need it for growing things! I love the smell of rain, we got some two days ago as I was cooking dinner, I had to turn things low on stove to step out on my porch just to smell the rain, much welcomed rain! And my Dad was a wonderful gardener...fertilize, fertilize, fertilize...that is what he always said!

      Delete
  10. I've heard of Hershey bars but never encountered one. I used to live a few miles away from the Mars factory and if the wind was in the right direction the smell of chocolate knocked you out when you went outdoors. I know that it sounds great but it really was overwhelming and not that nice. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think I would ever tire of the smell of chocolate but I suppose if something is VERY strong, it would become tiresome!
      Milton Hershey sounds like such a remarkable individual, I just had to have a post about him. Wish we had more like him.

      Delete
  11. I'm with Lucy!!! I enjoyed learning about Milton Hershey. Love those three quotes! "If I rest, I rust" describes me perfectly.

    ReplyDelete