Tuesday, September 17, 2019

I Give You The World (And Brownies)


If you read the BBC like I do, you will already know about this! For the past four weeks at Peterborough Cathedral, there has been an art installation of the Earth! You may see it just here.   Go and look at it...I will wait.


(While I was waiting, I made peanut butter brownies. Would you like one when they are cool?)






There...wasn't that amazing?  I can't imagine seeing something like that, rotating just like the Earth and with music with it as well! It was called "Gaia" and the visual artist is from Great Britain. His name is Luke Jerram.  Reading about him, he is color blind and that is what he attributes to his way of "seeing " the world.   (I am reminded of a book that I have told you about before, "Crashing Through" by Robert Kurson". It is the story of a man who was blinded when he was 3 years old.  It is a fascinating book. His sight was restored as an adult and you learn that your sight is not just from your eyes but also from your perception.) 

 Luke Jerram...you may read more about him here.
Does anyone remember me telling you about pianos being placed in public places?  He is also the one behind that idea!  (He called it, "Play Me, I'm Yours".)  These pianos have been placed all over the world and it is estimated they have been enjoyed by over 10 million people.


(Sorry...that makes me think of the song by Squeeze, "Take Me, I'm Yours, so I had to have it here for you!)








Luke Jerram has also written a book..."Art In Mind: An Artist's Journey Exploring the Edges of Perception".  You know I want to read it!

Hope you find this as fascinating as I do!  Why when I took the edge of my knife and pulled it through that peanut butter mixture on the top of the brownie batter, I felt like an artist creating something for the ages! My baking might not be the best but it looks good!
I made those brownies for a family reunion.  "Oh no, here comes Kay with brownies again.", said NO ONE EVER!  Most people really like brownies!  Even mine!

26 comments:

  1. When I have to take food to a family function I always take deviled eggs, cupcakes or brownies. I never have to take food home. It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few desserts including one relative who brought the best poundcake EVER! So, I had some brownies left, but one of my relatives asked if they could take the rest home. Of course I said YES!

      Delete
  2. The brownies look so good! And the world is a wonderful place from where I sit, but yes perception is different for everyone. Interesting thoughts today. What I see of the BBC is on PBS here and I watch it now and then to see what they have on. Always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you just type in BBC NEWS on your search engine, you can go right to their news website. So many interesting things on there!

      Delete
  3. Yes please, I'd like to have a brownie! That is a lovely piece of art, specially the way it seems to just float there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! His art installations are amazing. I wish he would bring one to Georgia. I would be first in line to see it!

      Delete
  4. I love Brownies. And...when I'm FINALLY OFF this low carb NIGHTMARE I'm going to indulge in them until I'm SICK. Love the art! <3

    <3 Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! I am endlessly fascinated by the things that people create and if they come from nature, that intrigues me even more. xx

      Delete
  5. Fascinating. Gaia is another name for Mother Earth. Good name for the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It said that it was Greek for Earth...but that is all Greek to me! :-)
      He has also done the moon, and I would love to see that too.

      Delete
  6. That's a stunning exhibit, and i would love to share a brownie with you and bake you one of my fudge cookies in exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I am sure your baking is far superior to mine, but still...my simple brownies are welcome everywhere they go! Now, I am thinking of your fudge cookies...

      Delete
  7. The pianos have appeared up here on this plateau...as have the scarecrows. The annual Scarecrow Festival is on!

    Yum! Yum! Yum! I've savouring the Brownie...thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarecrows! In the Land of Oz! Am I the only one who thinks of this? :-)
      Glad you are liking my brownies too! xxx

      Delete
  8. I bring brownies to work and they are usually gone before 9am! I will have to try peanut butter ones...yours look beautiful..almost as beautiful as the world! Great story and exhibit...thanks for sharing! (Now pass me a piece of brownie please!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's your brownie...enjoy!
      I love all the food you show us that you make and take places, it all looks great! How do you stay so thin??? xxxx

      Delete
  9. There have been some great installations in English cathedrals this summer: Lichfield has been all about the moon and Norwich had a huge helter skelter! I think you need to share your brownie recipe with us because that looks yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that the artist will have the moon installation at Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire. Looks amazing!
      I was so excited to tell you the recipe is...a box of Pillsbury Brownie Mix and the recipe for the peanut butter topping is on the side of the box! But then, I see you are in England, so you won't be able to see what I am talking about!
      You just mix peanut butter with confectioner's sugar, I think you call it icing sugar...and then swirl it through the batter!

      Delete
  10. I like the mini biographies of those 2 men. Makes me want to know more about them. The brownies look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will take the time to read more about these two men. I find them both fascinating.

      Delete
  11. I can't imagine anyone not liking your brownies (perhaps with a smattering of Marmite to complement the peanut butter - just joking). Weird song!The piano idea is wonderful. I've seen a number of them - all being played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marmite! You are joking!
      Squeeze, weird? NEVER!
      I would love to see those pianos being played. Can you play the piano, Graham? Let's see...I could play "Heart and Soul" and "Chopsticks". That's IT!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, Kay, I realised at a young age that I'd never be good enough to please even myself so abandoned lessons very early on. My mother, grandmother and Godfather all played though so I think I must have been a disappointment.

      Delete
    3. My sister and I took piano lessons together. She was wonderful! For myself, it gave me a love of music that I will have forever. I might not can play the piano but music is always with me. I bet it is the same for you! x

      Delete
  12. The brownies do look good …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would dearly love one of your brownies, Kay? Have you ever shared the recipe? I would love to make them! I've enjoyed listening to those pianos in airports and train stations in Europe. Luke Jerram's idea has brought a lot of pleasure to travelers!

    ReplyDelete