Saturday, November 3, 2018

Tom Hanks As Mr. Rogers



 Tom Hanks will play Mr. Rogers in the new movie which will be released in October 2019.  If you are reading this quickly, you might think I am talking about the documentary about him which was out this year. ("Won't You Be My Neighbor"). 


 Apparently, that was a marvelous film!  This will be a NEW film and it is not a documentary but rather it is based upon a friendship between Mr. Rogers and a journalist from Esquire Magazine, Tom Junod.  I have a wonderful link about it for you just here!  

("The climate of the times" is mentioned in that article...we are certainly needing Mr. Rogers in the climate of the times that we are having just now in America.  The last of the eleven who were killed in the shootings at the synagogue in Pittsburgh was buried yesterday, the oldest was a 97 year old woman.) 

If you are reading this from another country, you might have never heard of Mr. Rogers.  Fred Rogers, also from Pittsburgh,  had his own TV show for children from 1968 to 2001, called "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood".  You may read more about him here.  Sadly, we lost him to cancer in 2003. We often see his words quoted after tragedies...when he was a child and was scared by bad news on TV, his mother told him to "look for the helpers, you will always find people who are helping." 

(Speaking of his mother, did you know that she knitted all those sweaters that he wore on his show?  You always think of how thin he was but did you know that he was chubby as a child and was teased and called "Fatty Freddy"? He was befriended by a football player and I think must have credited that with helping him to fit into school. I could be wrong but this is what I think I remember reading. Not to discount the great influence from his mother, of course. And Mr. Rogers was also a Presbyterian minister...a true man of God, I believe.) 

Now, back to Tom Hanks.  I think he is the perfect actor to play Mr. Rogers.  I loved him as Walt Disney in the movie that he made with Emma Thompson.  Did anyone else see that one? ("Saving Mr. Banks". )We need more people like Mr. Rogers and Walt Disney.  Who do we have for our children to look up to these days? Who is represented on our TV screens? If we have anyone that is a positive influence, we should try to make sure that our children know about them.  Adults too, for that matter.


This mushroom in my yard has been a welcome sight.  The days are shorter, so my drive to work in the morning is in the dark. It seems to glow in the predawn hour, having pushed itself up from the mess and the muck of my side yard, like a candle in the darkness.

28 comments:

  1. I do love Mr. Rogers and agree agree we need more people in the world like him and Walt Disney too. I also like that candle in the dark mushroom. I used to go back and forth to work like you in the dark for many years. I no longer have to go out in the dark at all and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean then, how nice to see that almost glow in the dark mushroom. Be nice to be retired, hope I get to it myself one day. :-)

      Delete
  2. Mr. Rogers is a hero in my family. Like your mushroom, he was quite a light in the darkness. (This analogy seems funny to me since calling someone a mushroom used to mean you were calling them a pushy upstart! But the way you described your mushroom applies to Fred Rogers, I think.)

    I also like Tom Hanks who seems such an excellent actor. I'm quite looking forward to seeing this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of a mushroom as a pushy upstart, they just seem like FUN GUYS to me! (HA HA)
      When Tom Hanks gets Oscar attention next year, you can say you saw it here first!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kay - the film was quite fun ... and Tom Hanks is an excellent actor. Mushrooms are delicious aren't they ... but they do shine with light at times ...cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love to eat mushrooms also, but not from any that grow in my yard! :-)

      Delete
  4. I am looking forward to the Mr Rogers movie. I loved Saving Mr Banks. I also need to mention that I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! So lucky you saw the film and glad to know you liked it. I hope to see it soon.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like it's going to be a great movie, Mr. Hanks will make sure he does his usual fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot to say how much I loved Tom Hanks as the voice behind "Woody" in Toy Story, one of my favorite movies!

      Delete
  6. Kay, I really love Tom Hanks. He can play about any type. He was great as Captain Phillips and Sully. We need some more Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroos. :):) Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Kangaroo AND Mr. Green Jeans! I loved them too. Blessings to you too! xx

      Delete
  7. I enjoy Tom Hanks also it will be interesting.
    I am not fond of how long the nights are this time of year.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooler weather but I dislike the lack of sunlight. Man, I want it all, don't I? :-)

      Delete
  8. I will definitely be watching this movie, Kay. Tom Hanks is the perfect person to play the part of Mr. Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Can't wait to see him in this!

      Delete
  9. I've not heard of Mr Rogers. I saw Saving Mr Banks. It was an excellent film. Tom Hanks is a superb actor. Add all those things and I think I will be looking out for Mr Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham! Mr. Rogers was such a welcoming presence on our TV screens. I still need to see that documentary about him that came out this year. I know I would like it.

      Delete
  10. Interesting history as I didn't know Mr Rogers or the TV show. Like Tom Hanks as an actor. Saving Mr Banks was a great film. A classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Saving Mr. Banks"...was amazing! Tom Hanks did such a great job as Walt Disney! Believe me, I watched enough of him on TV as a kid, that I knew his voice and mannerisms as if he were really was my "Uncle Walt"! Of course, I also loved Emma Thompson in her role, also. I love true stories, as you know.

      Delete
  11. I just read an article about Mr. Rogers and it brought back to mind all the times I watched him on TV and how I've always enjoyed his voice and his classic shows. There aren't too many heroes today that can equal him. I'll look forward to the movie. I'm sure Tom Hanks will do a great job. I'm sure Mr. Rogers will be watching from above and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching from above and smiling, that is a lovely thought. If we can't find heroes now, let's highlight the ones that are no longer with us!

      Delete
  12. Like Graham, I have not heard of Mr. Rogers until just now reading about him on your blog - something that happens quite often with your blog :-)
    And like Graham, I enjoyed "Saving Mr. Banks" even though it was not all strictly true, according to the wikipedia entry about the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to inform others about Mr. Rogers, a fellow American I can be proud of!
      You know, I read the Wikipedia article on the film before ( as I always do!) but we have to remember that it is a film and even with true stories , they will sometimes change things to make it more upbeat or edgy. Me, I vote for upbeat! By the way, I often read the background of a movie on Imdb.com , lots of info there!☺ Too bad no one pays me for movie info, I am full of it!

      Delete
  13. I probably will see the Tom Hanks movie, but LOVED the documentary. My sister begged me to see it - I was undone by the end of it and had a good, healthy cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like to own that documentary when it comes out on DVD, then I can loan it to others and spread the Mr. Rogers love! Thanks for your comment, Lynn.☺ You are my neighbor!

      Delete