Thursday, November 15, 2018

Roy Clark, A Great Talent, A Great Guy








Roy Clark died today at the age of 85.  I first knew of him from "The Beverly Hillbillies"  TV show.  And of course from "Hee-Haw"! That show is still shown in syndication (it was on the air from 1969 until 1997). Very often when I call my Dad and ask what he is doing, he will say, "watching Hee-Haw!". (He must have seen them all but he still enjoys them.)

Roy Clark was not only an entertainer, but a very talented guitarist and even the most famous guitarists would list him as one of the best! I found a video of a British guitarist who is speaking of his admiration for Roy and he shows a clip from a episode of "The Odd Couple".  It is true what he says, by the end of the performance, the actors are not acting but they are just truly enjoying the moment.

I once saw Roy Clark when I was in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was just as you expect him, with that big smile on his face! (I just read that Mickey Mantle, the great baseball player, asked that Roy would sing "Yesterday, When I Was Young" at Mickey Mantle's passing. Of course, Roy did so at his funeral, as requested. They were great friends.)

I will always think of Roy Clark, "picking and grinning".










24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not only was he a talented musician and singer but also, a most loved man who did a lot for charity. I really don't care what you do in life, you must be a good guy!

      Delete
  2. Me too. Our family faithfully watched Hee Haw every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never missed it! We are country folk, after all!

      Delete
  3. He was fabulous, my guitarist husband admired him greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anyone who knows the guitar would know him!

      Delete
  4. Roy Clark could play any stringed instrument. He also wrote a lot of songs. To me is one of those people who seems forever young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone who uses the talent given to them to bring joy to others has my respect and admiration, even if I've never heard their name before (as with Roy Clark)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respect and admiration, YES! I so much agree!

      Delete
  6. This is the first I've heard of his passing. Yes he will definitely be remembered here too. Hee Haw was a favorite for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Grandpa", what's for supper?" Remember that one? Makes me hungry thinking about it!

      Delete
  7. I didn't know that he had died, but I also didn't know that he was still alive. He certainly was talented. My parents loved Hee-Haw.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Janie, you know that there had to be bits from it that make you giggle too! Even the very corny bits! And hey, I know you must have loved the gals singing..."WE don't go around repeating gossip...so you better listen close the FIRST time"! Ha! And "Gloom, despair and agony on me!"

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that about Roy and Mickey Mantle. Nice piece of history. Did see his passing was posting the other day on Facebook. RIP. I remember him from Hee Haw days as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they were friends. I also happened to see Mickey Mantle also, he bought airline tickets from our travel agency. Another great guy! 👍

      Delete
  9. He is a remarkably talented and accomplished man. But is he dead? I am confused.
    https://en.mediamass.net/people/roy-clark/deathhoax.html Wikipedia says he is dead. I am still confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sad to say that he has passed away. His funeral will be in Tulsa this week. That death hoax that you mentioned, how terrible for Roy Clark. I think he was still performing and had shows scheduled for this month.

      Delete
  10. Not heard of him before and know of Hee Haw only through your posts. A great guitarist though. Love good guitar, piano, violin and sax players. Cracking video. Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked the video too! I also love to see and hear talented musicians and singers.

      Delete
  11. I remember watching that when I was a kid...they were a'pickin' and a'grinnin'. He truly was a wonderful man and not an ounce of negative said about him from anyone.
    Love the video. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Diana! You totally get me, the kind of people I admire. You are one of them!

      Delete