Friday, May 4, 2018

Islay Memorial To American Soldiers from 1918





Just read today of an amazing story that happened one hundred years ago.  (If you didn't see this on the news, please read this!) I saw this on the BBC website and you may read the story
just here.

Towards the end of World War I, an island off the west coast of Scotland named Islay experienced two separate disasters involving  American troop ships.  The Tuscania was torpedoed by a German U- boat on Feb. 5, 1918 and sank.   That same year in October, the ship Otrano was involved in a collision with another ship in stormy seas and it also sank.
Over 700 American soldiers died from the sinkings of these ships.  The small island of Islay (pronounced EYE-la) had most of their own men in World War I, so it was up to those left on the island to care for those who survived the shipwrecks and also to identify those who had been washed ashore.  It was a gruesome task but from all accounts they did this with great honor and reverence.


It is quite impossible to say too much of the humanity of all these people, of their readiness to accept any hardship in the name of mercy, of the gentle, steadfast nursing they gave the soldiers, virtually bringing them back to life.

 As they began preparations to bury the American soldiers, they wished to have an American flag on display in their honor.   They didn't have one so...they MADE one.  Four women and two men working through the night, completing the flag at 2AM, just before the first funeral.
  This beautiful handmade flag is now in the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.  You may read about the story behind it (and see the photo of the flag!) just here.   

Today, there was a memorial service to honor these men on the island of Islay.  That American flag I told you about?  The Smithsonian sent it on loan to Islay and it was used in the Memorial Service for today.



(Photo of my Dad taken 10 years ago at a Veterans Service, posing in front of a big American flag.)






I have read of a memorial in the state of Wisconsin that will honor the 21 men from Baraboo, Wisconsin who survived the sinking of the Tuscania.  You may read about that memorial here.  


Now, I hope that you will find this story just as fascinating and interesting as I do.  I had never heard of this until today so if I have gotten any of my facts wrong, I will be happy to correct any mistakes I have made.  I wanted you all to know about this! 

Our walking iris is blooming!  (I like to call it Apostle Plant.) The fragrance is divine!   Neomarica gracilis


24 comments:

  1. My dad was a medic in WWI! I had not heard the story before I saw it here. He never talked about the war. He was 53 when I was born and I was his first child. I have about 200 letters he wrote home while he was in the service.

    Living in WI (and working at the VA) we got notice of the honors being issued in Baraboo.

    Have a wonderful weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to share this story here with you then! You have 200 of your Dad's letters? You should think of making a book of them, I would buy it.
      When you next are at the VA, please give them my deepest regards. x

      Delete
  2. What a great story! I've never heard of it before, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. You know this is one of the kind of things I most like to share.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kay - well done ... so good to read more stories and get information about that period - lovely photo of your father - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. I was trying to find a photo of a big American flag and then...I remembered this photo of my own!

      Delete
  4. As most people, i've heard and studied the names and dates of the major battles of the major wars. These stories of everyday heroes back home, and those who died other than in battle, tend to get overlooked. Thank you for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those kind of stories that I wish more people knew about.

      Delete
  5. Such a touching story. And what a fine photo of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My Dad was in the Army, just after World War II, and he was considered part of the "mopping up" operation. He was sent when he was only 18.

      Delete
  6. Yes many islanders were lost during the war, some when their ships sank also.
    The islanders well knew the dangers of the sea and were well able to look after the survivors.
    A great and true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you know this story but I wonder how many Americans know it? They would if I had my way about it!

      Delete
  7. Last week we had Anzac Day...a very special day in our Australian (and New Zealand). I wrote a post in honour of our men and women of our Defence Force, past and present.

    There are many stories...small and large. None, no matter the size are insignificant - and none should be forgotten, but told over and over again.

    It is a day that means a lot to me.

    Thank you for this post, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, these stories should be told so that all will know them!

      I read your post about Anzac Day and it is very moving. Thank you for that post.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kay.
    It's been on the news here as well. I visited Islay and the American Monument and war graves plus the headland and cliffs there way back in July 2010 on the blog. If you want to see any island photos from that trip type in BSS Mull of Oa for the three posts gallery.
    It's a wild remote headland and a very dramatic monument- also one of the most impressive in Scotland for its location right on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your description- "an utterly brilliant island", I think is one of the things that you said. Thanks for directing me to your posts, I don't think I knew you yet in 2010!
      Wish so much I could visit this American Monument on Islay!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this story, Kay! I had not heard it before. Poignant and magnificent. I'd love to visit the site. Hopefully on a sunny day, because I know just how raw and cold foggy seascapes in the North Atlantic can feel! The Islay video was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise. I was pleased to learn of it too and so I was very glad to share it here. Don't know if I will make it to the Hebrides but I can still learn about the area!

      Delete
  10. That's absolutely fascinating, Kay - my kind of story. Eventually, A Bit About Britain will make it to Islay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, when you go there take me with you!

      Delete
  11. This is a very touching story..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. "...to bury the American soldiers, they wished to have an American flag on display in their honor. They didn't have one so...they MADE one."

    Oh, WOW!

    I had never heard of this! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I hope to get to Washington D.C. one day and actually see this homemade flag at the Smithsonian.

      Delete