Friday, August 18, 2017

Total Solar Eclipse (or ALMOST Total) and Little Shop of Horrors





Total Solar Eclipse





USA map with eclipse path


On Monday, we will have a total eclipse of the sun in the very far northeast corner of Georgia.  It will be at about 97% here in the metro Atlanta area.  This is being called the Great American Eclipse since the eclipse cuts right across the country like a banner across Miss America!  Everyone must have the special glasses to look at the eclipse and they MUST have this code on them: ISO 12312-2.





You may read a lot online about the eclipse...and I have a link at the beginning of this post for you, but I since I am always about the music, I am thinking of "Little Shop of Horrors" and Seymour buying the strange little plant that appeared after "the total eclipse of the sun".  If you have never seen this film, you should search it out.  If you are lucky, you might find a high school that will have this as one of their musicals.  It is always a hit!  The songs are by Howard Ashman (lyrics) and Alan Menken (music).  They also wrote the songs for The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast.  Songwriters ECLIPSE all others for me! (Yes, I said that.)  Sadly, Howard Ashman died just after Beauty and The Beast was completed. When you watch the film, you will see that there is a dedication to him at the beginning..."To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul, we will be forever grateful. Howard Ashman 1950–1991".


Little Shop of Horrors is described as a "horror comedy rock musical".  It is a bit hard to put something like this into a box, isn't it?   I very much appreciate something that is well written, don't you?
Also, in the film the voice of the plant "Audrey" is none other than Levi Stubbs.  What? You don't know Levi Stubbs? Well, you should! He was the lead singer for the Four Tops. What a voice!


Here is photo of the rising sun through a heavy cloud cover. (Richard took this one morning recently.) We are hoping for clear skies so that we will see the eclipse. The weather forecasters seem to think that it won't rain.  We will see!





Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article164563302.html#storylink=cpy

12 comments:

  1. I so remember that film...lol...and that SHOP!! I will see it at my daughter's house in IN...should be fun. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i remember that film, and we won't have nearly as good a show here on Monday as you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my glasses and am hoping for clear skies too. We have a small group going to the cemetery for the viewing. No trees, buildings, or l;ight poles to block the view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since I last witnessed an eclipse myself, but I remember it as a very special experience. The most eerie bit was how all the birds went quiet, you couldn't here a sound, although it was in the middle of the day.
    So I hope you'll have good weather to observe it!

    Howard Ashman died so young, at 41, same age as Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a while since I saw the Little Shop of Horrors, but it is a stayer and well remembered - such an unusual story line! Did not know there was another eclipse about - I wonder if we will see it in the Southern Hemisphere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in New England, the eclipse won't be as dramatic as in other parts of the country, so we plan to view its totality on the news. Ironically it falls on our wedding anniversary, so a memorable date for 2 events! Thanks for the trip down memory lane with Little Shop...I have only seen the film version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will not see the full eclipse here and since I don't have any special glasses I've decided not to look at all. They say unless done properly you can do a lot of damage to your eyes. I even saw that one of the school districts here called off school for the day. I'm not sure if it was in honor of the eclipse or the fact that they didn't want to take on the responsibility of making sure all students view responsibly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing that movie, but I don't remember much about it and I can't believe I don't remember there being songs in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We seem to have quite a few partial solar eclipses but it's 2015 since we had a really good almost total one. I remember them when I was a child but I suppose it would have been much more exciting then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we had their partial few days back but little late night .

    may be slow net i could not play the video.
    i enjoy your photos a lot including that you displayed at sidebar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy the eclipse while you can. The latest doomsday theory is that it will be the end of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that you enjoyed the eclipse, Kay! We had a 92.8% coverage in our zip code. Thanks for sharing the arrival of the plant in the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie. I had forgotten all about that. My overwhelming memory of the movie is the dentist and his song. I had the fun of seeing the Broadway production of Little Shop of Horrors at the Denver Performing Arts Center in early 2006(?). Fabulous!!! The puppeteer who played the plant and sang "Feed Me" was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete