Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer At Arabia Mountain

Arabia Mountain is a place that my husband and I love to visit.  There are beautiful trails there but we especially love to walk over the mountain and see the views from the top.  We haven't been there in a while, ready to go on a late afternoon hike?  Get a bottle of water, it's hot today!

No one knows for sure why this is called ARABIA Mountain, it was possibly named this by the men who quarried the mountain and that they were comparing it to Saudi Arabia because the rock gets so hot in the sun.  And I am here to tell you, it is hot.  The rock retains the heat, you could feel the heat coming off of it and with the sun still on you, it is hot, very hot.  Everything has gone to seed and is in waiting...we have to get through the summer and then this mountain will be covered in yellow daisies!

It has not rained for weeks, so we only saw two small brackish pools of water.  But wait, what is this...ice?  In this heat?  It looked so much like ice, I had to reach down and touch this just to see why it had the appearance of ice.   I think it might have been the minerals or salt left behind when the water evaporated.  I don't know, of course, it is only a guess.


Richard took a photo of our son who was able to go with us on this day.  This reminds me so much of my post about Willie B, the gorilla from Zoo Atlanta.  I wrote about him on Nov. 2nd of last year if you would like to read about him.  I asked my son if it was okay to compare him with Willie B, and he said it would be an honor.  That's my boy!



Two good-looking guys on top of Arabia Mountain!







The sun is setting behind HOT LANTA!  Can you just see the tall buildings?  It will be hot in Atlanta this weekend, it is expected to be over 100 degrees and may set a rccord for this time of year.





The photo of Atlanta in the sun reminded of this song from the summer of 1966.  I remember that summer very well since my little sister was born that summer and this always reminds me of that hot summer.  "Hotter than a matchhead", yep, that's pretty hot.    Hope you stay cool, wherever you are!

25 comments:

  1. These are beautiful photos, Kay! And your boys are so handsome. How lucky that you have such a lovely mountain to visit and spend time on. I would be there regularly snapping photos. That's a great song to end this post with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! We try to go as often as we can, it might be too hot in the summer unless we get there at dawn! Hey, that's an idea, we need to make some sunrise photos!

      Delete
  2. Those sunset pictures are breathtaking!
    You are certainly right about the "ice" being mineral residue.
    I was born in 1968, so I can't remember the song from when it was released, but I do know it well and always think it catches the mood of a city sweltering in the heat so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny though, how much it looks like ice? I am remembering you see with great fondness when it was cold enough to see ice on the mountain!
      It was hot today, it made it to 104 degrees and they think it will be even hotter tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. That song always makes me think of living in Malta, when the summers temperatures and humidity are both in the 90s. It's even more built up now than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny,
      We are lucky in that usually these triple digits pass us by in Atlanta...tomorrow's high is expected to be 106 degrees.

      Delete
  4. Hello Kay! Gorgeous photos...I especially love the one of the tall buildings peeking over the trees. Wonderful to have a mountain so close. We had a very hot day yesterday, but it's cooled right down again now...of course, as you know, very hot here is about 80f!Hoping you have a great weekend - thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog, too. they mean a lot to me. xo R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel!
      It's wonderful to see the sun set behind the tall buildings in Atlanta from the top of Arabia!
      We really enjoyed the cool weather in Eastbourne when we were there the first two weeks of June. Everyone felt sorry for us in England, but we knew we would have heat like this to contend with!
      Thank you, for your sweet comments. I am always happy to see your name. Your blog was one of the few that I had the courage to leave a comment on, before I had my own blog!

      Delete
  5. I could almost feel the heat looking at those first two pics. The sunset pictures are gorgeous, such beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall tell Richard that his photos are gorgeous.
      I am still trying to get him to do a guest post...his photos from the Eastbourne seafront are prize-worthy, honest, they are!

      Delete
  6. My favourite analogy for heat is "hotter than the hubs of Hell." Sounds like Arabia Mountain fits that bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debra,
      Yes, and I would bet that the men who worked in the quarry there would certainly agree with that!

      Delete
  7. The girls and I enjoyed listening to Summer In The City as we were getting ready this morning ~ thank you!!! Going to be 105 degrees today. Whew. I won't be leaving the house. Ugh. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audrey,
      With weather like this, I would be in the kiddie pool WITH the kids, if I were you!

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, loved the shot of "hotlanta" in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if it is on fire, and it felt like it today. How about where you are?

      Delete
  9. Those pictures of the setting sun are amazing. I love those tall buildings peeking up in the distance - it actually looks HOT! That song is one I remember very well and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,
      You don't look old enough to remember that song!

      Delete
  10. Stay cool, and think icy thoughts! Sounds like you will need them, as will we.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mimi,
    Thinking icy thoughts, thinking icy thoughts...if only that would do it rather than running the A/C so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for all the heat you are suffering through. My daughter is in Illinois and they're staying indoors with air conditioning. It's only June, for goodness sake! I sure hope July and August won't be worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay,
      It is rough, but I feel sorry for those who have to work outside! Yesterday, (June 30th) set an all time record for high temp in Georgia, it was 106 degrees.

      Delete
  13. Kay

    Do tell Christopher that I approve of his hirsuteness..... and remind Rick that we await his article.

    Due to a series of 'cobbler -ups', Joy and Henry haven't seen the article yet. We are hoping to rectify that next week.

    We are currently sweltering in 68 degrees which makes it one of the hottest days since March. How we long for those far off sunny days of......winter.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Henry,
      I did tell C. and he laughed!
      I also reminded R. that he needed to write on my blog and that YOU said so!
      Oh, I hope that Joy & Henry like what I wrote. Since I wrote it, I added a note with a link to the Queen's website to say how to down-load a form so that those who are eligible are able to get a card from the Queen.
      Remember I told you that I didn't mind it being cool since I thought we would be coming home to very hot weather? I had no idea how correct that prediction would be! You knew that we would be wearing jackets in early June in England and then sweltering in 106 degrees by June 30th!

      Delete
  14. I meant to say WHO knew we would be wearing jackets in England, etc... the trouble with typing a comment, I never notice any errors until AFTER I hit the publish button!!

    ReplyDelete