Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Oh, Say Can You SING? (National Anthem)

 


Last night was the Home Run Derby which is always at the beginning of the All-Star Break for Major League Baseball.  Of course, before it began there was a rendition of our National Anthem.  Now, it is a very difficult song to sing but this morning it was all on the news that it was a terrible rendition.  I could give you a link to it but honestly, you can look it up, if you like....it was by a country singer named Ingrid Andress.  (As I am typing this post, Richard just told me that the singer said she was drunk and has now admitted herself into a facility. Oh dear, let's hope she gets the help she needs.)


I quite enjoyed watching a lot of the Euros. (I spent loads of time looking up the history of each and every city in Germany where the games were played!)  Richard made sure to record the ten minutes or so before the games started just so I could hear the National Anthems. (I only know the words to two of them, "God Save the King" and "La Marseillaise"- the anthems for the United Kingdom and France. I sang along to them both!)

For all the countries, I liked seeing how many of the players and coaches sang along to their national anthems. Quite often, they sang with great gusto and that also included many of those in the audience. The National Anthem for the USA is "The Star-Spangled Banner" and I while I really like the song myself, it IS a truly challenging song to sing!

I am not the first one to say that we really should change it to "America the Beautiful".  There, I said it and I say it again..."America the Beautiful" for the National Anthem! 

Did you know that it used to be the custom for the National Anthem to be played at the end of the films in British theaters? Yes! Ray Bradbury wrote a story about this, "The Anthem Sprinters". He must have found it very amusing when he was spending time in Ireland and heard of men who tried to run out of the theatre before the National Anthem started. The guys would race out as fast as they could, the last man out would have to buy the drinks at the pub! 

I looked this up and it states that this practice stopped sometime in the 1970's but it seems to me that Richard and I went to a play in 1985 in Eastbourne, and I was surprised that "God Save the Queen" was played at the end. Maybe this was still done in certain places, or perhaps in live theater? 

Of course, it didn't bother me one bit - I sang right along!


Now, if you have a chance, do YOU sing along?  During baseball games, we are asked to sing along to "Take Me Out to the Ballgames".  People do sing but without a lot of enthusiasm.  Such a shame! 


There are a lot of videos of "America the Beautiful" but I am very fond of this version by Ray Charles.  He did this just after 9/11 and it was much needed. Hope you like it!



Okay now, I have to be practical. I doubt that the USA will ever change their National Anthem. In that case, it should be sung with a special consideration. Here, let's see if I can find one that we all will like.... Trish Yearwood!  Hey, guess what?  Both these artists, Ray Charles and Trish Yearwood are from Georgia. 






                                                     "God Save the King"



                              "La Marseillaise" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, our night blooming cereus bloomed!  This is very exciting!  Just as the name states, it only blooms at night, you have to get up very early to get a photo of it before it closes up.


Richard and I were invited to a garden party, and you know we attended! The gardens were lovely as was the home.


     Who is that crazy lady trying to hide behind the potted ferns?





Lots of videos on here for you but hey, I could have found more! HA! Take care!

22 comments:

  1. Lovely photos Kay. I remember our family used to run out at the end of films before God Save the Queen as if you stayed you got stuck in the queue after it ended then usually last in the queue for the bus home. Just watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye on TV last night. Yes, America, (to a UK viewer) is a very strange country indeed :) And you probably think the same about us. We had Sooty and Sweep over here. Bob. BSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. America is seeming very strange to these days to me too but hey, I know I got that English heart, but I am truly American to the bone! I've been watching the British Open today from Royal Troon and last week, it was the Scottish Open from North Berwick. How much I would love to visit Scotland! Honestly, I drove myself crazy looking up anything that was mentioned and anything I saw in the background! I find all places fascinating, wish I could see the world!

      Delete
  2. At the beginning of the broadcast day on Canadian television, the CBC would play "O Canada." At the end of the broadcast day, they would play "God Save the Queen." This tradition came to an end once 24/7 broadcasting started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember the TV networks playing the national anthem at the end of the night, and then, they went off the air! I wonder what kids would think of a TV station with nothing on the screen.

      Delete
  3. National anthems should be easy to sing along to, at least. But tradition is tradition and some things just cannot be changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I doubt that it will be changed but still, I dream of hearing a crowd singing along with great participation.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy and learn something from your posts. As a Georgia Expatriate living in HOT! Florida for 40 years, I so enjoy the glimpses of my home state's landmarks and notable citizens. I personally believe that beauty, nature and especially music will help us get through these trying times we live in. Thank you for lifting us up this July 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Beauty, nature and especially music". YES! You know I agree with you. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Those gardens - I don't know whose those were - but they were just gorgeous!
    I know the National Anthem is extremely hard to sing - but every time I hear it I almost cry - America is wonderful. I do that with flags too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those gardens were just over the county line from me in Gwinnett county! You know where that is, I am sure! I'm a bit soft about flags and patriotic songs myself!

      Delete
  6. I don't notice the National Anthem being played very much here these days but then Scotland tends to regard it more as the English National Anthem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I really do want to visit Scotland but I won't mention my blog name to anyone! LOL!

      Delete
  7. A garden party, how lovely! It seems you had good weather for it, too.
    Of the Euros, I only watched a few games, including the final where of course I was rooting for England.
    Many Germans have a somewhat difficult relationships with national symbols such as the flag and the anthem, due to our nation's terrible past. But I do think the German national anthem is a song that deserves to be sung - it was written long before the "third reich" happened. Maybe one day we will have a more relaxed attitude towards it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely garden party. It was unusually cool for early summer and for once, we were outside without feeling like we were melting!
      As you say, it must be difficult to have such a song association. As time passes perhaps, the song will become just a song.

      Delete
  8. The National Anthem took the tune of some old tavern song. And of course I sing along. With all the songs. For the National Anthem my right hand is firmly placed over my heart as I look at the flag. Our anthem is a pretty song. I know a lot of people don't like it but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, our National Anthem took the tune of an old tavern song from England! LOL! I don't really dislike our National Anthem, but I do wish it could be easier to sing!

      Delete
  9. Our National Anthem is very difficult to sing. I don't like it. On the other hand, what a nice garden party! The flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved the garden! And look at those flowers that were on that coffee table in the house! So gorgeous! Aloha!!

      Delete
  10. The National Anthem is a difficult song to sing but I heard it done beautifully this past May at my Granddaughter's graduation by one of her classmates. I was blown away! I heard the version that caused all the chatter on the internet. As soon as I heard it I said, "That gal is drunk". Yep, she was but then she owned up to her problem and is getting help. Everyone deserves some kindness and a second chance when they ask for help. That garden looked amazing. I wish I had more time and talent to get my gardens up to speed! Maybe after the inside work is done I'll get to it. Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard and I marvel at that garden every time we see it. You mentioned graduation, one year a couple showed up and asked to have their prom pictures made in that garden. They were delighted to give permission! Yes, kindness is much needed these days. Very much so! Hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  11. Always sing along, whenever I can! I do love America the Beautiful.
    This bit seems extra poignant these days: "America! America! God mend thine every flaw, confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law." If only He would.

    That is a wonderful recording by Ray Charles. Makes me cry every time.

    Thank you for the beautiful garden photos, and congratulations on capturing the night-blooming cereus. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue! Yes, that verse is especially poignant and one that we should all be singing. I remember you visited Colorado this year, so Katherine Lee Bates writing the words to "America, the Beautiful" after seeing the view from Pike's Peak is something I know you appreciate. Such a lovely country we have, we need to keep it so!

      Delete