Thursday, October 12, 2023

Yellow

 










Color me happy! You can see me smiling amongst the Yellow Daisies at Arabia Mountain.  They bloom every September and we are always glad to see them. (They are called daisies, but they are in the sunflower family: Helianthus porteri.)






We also have Yellow Daisies in our own backyard!  Here is a photo of what they looked like....


Look carefully at those petals above...do you see the petals are rather rounded? And the plants themselves are not that tall. These are the Yellow Daisies that have re-seeded themselves from last year! 



  There is another yellow flower that blooms in October rather than September and it is the Swamp sunflower (or narrow leaved sunflower) and for the first time this year...we have it in our own yard!



Ta-DAH!!  It is also in the sunflower family:  Helianthus angustifolious! 

In Greek, "helios" means "sun" and "anthos" means "flower". Therefore, anytime you see the word "Helianthus" you know it is in the sunflower family!

Isn't it a beauty? We have it in a pot.  Back in the Spring, we were walking down Main Street in our town of Conyers and there was a woman selling plants from her front yard. She had a sign saying "Swamp sunflowers" but when I asked her about it.... she said she was sold out.  She must have seen the disappointment on my face because she THEN said, "Oh, but let me go and dig some up for you!". Well, you can bet that made me smile! For $2.00, I have this lovely flower blooming just now! It can grow very tall; we just saw some today that must have been 10 feet high! 







Both of these sunflowers that I have shown you are NATIVE to this area!  We have seen all of them growing wild, either near the trails where we walk or just growing beside the roads.
------------------------------------
"Yellow Submarine"!

 Richard and I were treated to a wonderful gift from our son and daughter-in-law.  They gave us tickets to see Ringo Starr!  Oh my goodness, it was most enjoyable! We saw Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band in Nashville at the Ryman Auditorium at the end of September.  As lifelong fans of the Beatles, I can't tell you how special this was for both of us!  You know I waved at Ringo, and he waved back at me! HA! My son will tell you that is the truth!

 So wonderful to hear a big crowd sing along to "Give Peace A Chance", although it made me feel a bit sad thinking of the two Beatles that are no longer with us, John and George.  


My friends, I do hope that you are all doing well.  October is flying by now and the colors of the leaves are just beginning to change and today I even had to wear a jacket while we walked! And if you ever get a chance to see Ringo, wave to him and say I told you go!

26 comments:

  1. Yellow is a great color. It is cheerful and sunny. And of course I love Ringo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should look up his new song! "Feeling the Sunlight"!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to see Ringo Starr in concert, you lucky fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful! I think I would just like to hear him on stage, just talking....I love his voice!

      Delete
  3. How exciting, going to see Ringo. Isn't he amazing, still going strong. Did I ever tell you I saw the young Beatles in Brisbane back in the sixties? That was a night to remember! (I still have the program). The sunflowers are gorgeous and you look so pretty among them. The ones you have in your garden are really beautiful too, and what a treat to have them popping up in Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, to have seen the Beatles in concert! I saw Paul McCartney with Wings in the 70's, so I have now seen Paul and Ringo! It is great to have sunflowers in the Autumn, we love them. x

      Delete
  4. You know this post made me happy for the sheer yellowness of it :-D
    Arabia Mountain is one of your happy places anyway, but even more so when the yellow daisies are in bloom - it shows in your face.
    What a great gift from your son and daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful gift! They presented that to us for our 40th wedding anniversary present! The yellow daisies always just blow me away every year!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely flower, and great pictures again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard is such a great photographer. I might not have even shown you his best shots. I really must do another post on Arabia Mountain!

      Delete
  6. Peace and Love, Ringo! I saw Paul on July 4th, 1989, at RFK Stadium. It was and always will be the best concert ever for me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, sitting on stage with his guitar singing "Yesterday" is one of my favorite concert memories of all time! Nice thing, our SON loves the Beatles music too!!! That makes me so very happy!

      Delete
  7. I love the daisies and sunflowers. They are different from what we have here, but they are bright and beautiful. Sunflowers here produce seeds that feed the birds and they love them. Thanks for sharing your part of the world. It is definitely jacket weather here with temps mostly in the 50's for the next few days. That is a high for the day and the nights are colder yet, In the 40's. Some had frost advisories this past week, but we missed out on any frost, so the growing season continues yet for a while. Enjoy a colorful fall! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what, our yellow daisies in our back yard have now gone to seed and we are enjoying the goldfinches eating the seeds!!! (Goldfinches are usually bright yellow in the summer but they have lost that colorful plumage. Look for the white wing bar and you can ID them!) Our leaves are beginning to change just now and we hope for a beautiful Autumn! Take care! x

      Delete
  8. Good you got back to Arabia Mountain again in time to see all the flowers. I'll need to grow sunflowers next year. I always forget to pick up seeds. It's been cosmos seeds for me this year so I've planted them over the summer months in my garden. Time for something different next spring though. Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosmos! I love them! For the first time this year, I planted zinnia seeds and they did very well for me, I might do more next year! As you know, Arabia Mountain is a special place for us and one that can get very busy at the weekends, so we try to go during the week!

      Delete
  9. I love yellow. It's such a happy color. Between my brother and I, I think we owned every Beetles record made when we were teens. I still own all the records on the original Capital label. They certainly changed the music world in the short time they were together as a band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it was the Beatles singles that we had! Funny thing, there was no A side or B side, both sides were great! We had friends who had their albums but when we were kids, we couldn't afford albums. LOL! They changed the music world and for America, for a small town girl like me, they changed everything!

      Delete
  10. I love Ringo! That video just makes you smile. You son did good! Great gift! I saw the Beatles in person when I was 11..1964. I screamed my head off back then and would be afraid I'd embarrass myself if I saw Ringo now! Ha! A screaming 70yr old! Enjoy your beautiful yellow October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know you love Ringo because he is like family to you! (Richard Starkey) LUcky you to have seen the Beatles in 1964. I would still be screaming! Enjoy your October in Ohio, dear YAYA! xx

      Delete
  11. Isn't yellow a beautiful cheerful colour. Lucky you to see Ringo, when I used to teach basic computer skills I had my students type out the words to Imagine. I had them change font size and colour. I still remember how they hummed along as they typed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful memory for you. Thanks for sharing it here, I love it.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed these photos very much Kay. Those daisies are incredible! How splendid you got to see Ringo in concert. A lovely gift for sure. I read a story about him recently and you may have seen this already. Years ago a young group of friends had just arrived in the parking lot where one of the Beatles concerts was being held. The five of them were still in their car when who should roll up next to them was Ringo Star. He parked and had a chat with them and took their photo. No one believed that it ever happened and said they were making it up. Recently they were vindicated because Ringo published his book of personal photos and one of those photos was this young group of friends. They reenacted it as they appear now, and the two photos are place one on top of the other and making the rounds on social media. It's a great story and they said Ringo was a super guy, which is what I have always heard about him. I loved the story. Anyhow, enjoy the rest of your week and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise! Thanks very much! Yes, I did see that photo of the folks who said for years how they had met Ringo and spoken with him and then they saw their photo in his book! I love that story. Thanks for sharing it here! I also saw their recreation of the photo! Love it. Ringo was so JOYFUL during the concert, he doesn't have to do a thing, does he? He must do it out of love. I think Ringo Starr is known for being a nice guy and that is all that ever really matters to me anyway! Take care! xx

      Delete
  13. Yellow is such a cheerful, happy colour.
    How wonderful to see Ringo in concert.

    Enjoy your October days.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan! Ringo was great, it was a special gift to see him. Enjoy your October! x

      Delete