Saturday, May 27, 2023

Month of May 2023- Flower, Birds, Butterflies!

 



Hello there! My last post was about the Coronation of King Charles. That was ages ago, wasn't it? What have I been doing? Oh my goodness, I have been working on a book. Oh, didn't you know that I have THREE books? They are as follows:

Book 1:  The Things that Kay Knows
Book 2:  The Things that Kay DOES NOT Know
Book 3: The Things that Kay Knew but Has Forgotten

That first book is a slim one, very slim indeed.
The second one is so big that it can hardly be lifted.
The third book is rapidly getting bigger every day!

What recent additions to that first book of Kay Knowledge?

Cotyledons- The first two leaves that come out on a seedling.

Blue eyed grass - not really a grass but an iris that grows wild. 
Sisyrinchium atlanticum, botanical name. (Beside a trail at Panola State Park.)

A small green butterfly- Juniper hairstreak. (On a daisy, it was.)

A grey bird with bright white feathers at its front- at the edge of Alexander Lake. (Even though I was so happy to ID it but now I can't remember the name of it so looks like it might be in that 3rd book. It is one that I have never seen before, only seen here in migration.)

Plains coreopsis-  A beautiful yellow flower growing wild beside the road in East Atlanta.  It had a dark center in the middle of the flower. We have lots of coreopsis growing wild beside the road but that particular one, I had never seen it before.

A green anole (a lizard) was on my front steps on a Dusty Miller plant- it was very straight on the stem and as I watched, it ate its own skin! I looked this up and sure enough, that is what I was seeing!

If you look back at my blog, you will see that I did a post in October and I told asked you all to read "Dracula".  I hope some of you did so!  Guess what! There will be a film coming out in August that focuses on just ONE chapter from that excellent written book! 
The film title is "The Last Voyage of the Demeter". It is about the ship that carried 50 wooden crates from Carpathia to London.  Isn't that something? To have a movie made from just one chapter? I told you that it was a great book! "Dracula" by Bram Stoker was first published on May 26, 1897.  If my math skills are correct, that was 126 years ago! Now, will I see the movie? Probably not, I don't like scary stuff! It cannot improve on the book anyway!





"Jennifer Juniper" by Donovan (I sang this when I learned the name of the little green butterfly.)




It has been a lovely cool breezy kind of month, this month of May in Georgia which is rather unusual, but I am not complaining! Flowers are blooming but my tomato, pepper and cucumber plants are wondering what happened to the Georgia heat. (Don't worry, it will be here soon enough!)

Hope you are all doing well where you are and always adding to your book of knowledge. And if you are like me and keep adding to that third book, at least we have our blogs where we can look back and refresh our memories.  Take care!







Close up of the blue eyed grass.  Isn't it beautiful? See how those little bits go out from the edge of the petals? Amazing, it is so tiny.







24 comments:

  1. Interesting that some film makers have come up with a new angle on that classic "Dracula" even if based on a single chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just goes to show that is a truly well written book!

      Delete
  2. I forgot much that I knew too. I love Donovan. I can't decide if Atlantis or Season of the Witch is my favorite song. Then I'll come across another song and start to rethink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song fit the butterfly name just perfectly!

      Delete
  3. May is almost over, can you believe it? We have had a much cooler month than average, with some rain that was very welcome. Now it seems we‘ve gone from chilly spring to warm early summer in the space of one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly believe it, time goes by so very quickly but especially so during months with blooming flowers. Hope you are doing much better and over your illness. x

      Delete
  4. It took spring forever to show up in our area and now we are already getting summer temperatures! I'd heard of blue eyed grass but also had apparently forgotten what it actually was. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower starts out looking white but then, changes to that lovely blue! Hope you are doing well these days and finding lots of cute things! x

      Delete
  5. There's a book called, I've Forgotten Everything I Knew In School: A Refresher Course to Help You Reclaim Your Education. I have a copy somewhere, i need to find it and read it again.

    That "grass" is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need that book! Glad you like that blue eyed grass too!

      Delete
  6. Love your three books. I could add one called-What is your name again? lol.
    I think that is really something that a movie is being made from just one chapter of Dracula. I read it years and years ago and should probably do a re-read. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please re-read "Dracula" and you will thank me! Let's sell t shirts with questions that we ask all the time: "What's Your Name Again?" and "Can You Help Find My Glasses/Car/Husband/Keys?" and simply "Huh?". One would only have to point to the shirt! LOL!

      Delete
  7. ... guess who's now singing Jennifer Juniper!!!

    Enjoy the remainder of May, hard to believe it will be June on Thursday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan! It's so true, it is June already! Time flies, it sure does. Take care. x

      Delete
  8. Dear Kay, thank you for this lovely light-hearted posting. I, too, am working and have been for long years on those three books. I've never realized that they are around until I read your words. And yes, that 3rd book has more and more pages in it. Some blank because I forget what I leaned I'd forgotten a moment ago! Hope all is well. From Dee Ready and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dee! The older I get the more I want to learn and yet, my brain is playing tricks on me and not cooperating the way it used to do! Oh well, as long as we can laugh about things, it must be good for the soul! I do like to laugh and even more, make other people chuckle!

      Delete
  9. The book 'Kay Knows,' would be a very large book I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you very much, Ad-Man! I so wish that could be true!

      Delete
  10. Thanks Kay for introduction to Blue eyed grass Guess I need to get out in the "countryside" more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might see this little blue eyed grass just growing between cracks in a sidewalk. When you first see it and recognize it, appreciate it and let me know! :-)

      Delete
  11. May here has been a beautiful weather month but no rain and now we could use a good week of showers for the farmers fields. The heat is up here and it looks like we've got yours too! I'm not ready for the hot, hot stuff yet! Hey, I think I have those same books in my hand writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had weeks and weeks of rain off and on and now....with just a few dry days we are wanting rain again! LOL! It promises to be 90 degrees on the weekend, and even though I like it cooler, my lemon tree and tomato plants want the hot sun!!

      Delete
  12. Oh gosh! I remember that song very well. I loved listening to Donovan so very long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you any green butterflies in Hawaii? And do you sing to them? I do! 😊

      Delete