Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Stone Mountain Visit- Daydream

 



















Stone Mountain is about a thirty minute drive from us.  I have written about it before! We like to climb it when we can but on this day when we went recently, we wanted to take the cable cars to the top....

When we got there, Richard got a quick snap of the cable cars meeting each other on the journey. We had just missed that blue one going up!  Can you see the red one? That is the one on the way down and the one that we will get on to take us to the top! (That is what we thought would happen anyway.)



The attendant informed us that the cable cars were not operating due to high winds! We had just missed the last one going up! You can't make these things up, people!  Not to worry, there are lots of things to see and do at Stone Mountain.





It has been years since Richard and I have seen the homes and buildings on the historic square in Stone Mountain Park, so Richard along with his "ball and chain" decided to do just that! 




All the buildings in this historic square are from different places in Georgia built between 1793 and 1875.  They were somehow brought here in the 1960's. (I do wonder how this accomplished. I suppose there was less traffic in Georgia at that time!)




 


That is hand stitched in the frame, "The Lord is my Shepherd".











The music room in this house is just dreamy.  The family was so wealthy that the father employed a music teacher for his children!


This room might seem very simple but there was a real serenity about it.

I love that blue color on the walls!






Dinner is served!


I was very happy to recognize this!  It is a flour/corn meal chest.

My grandmother had one. Do you see how those two middle bits of wood are indented?  That would hold the long wooden bowl where the bread dough was prepared.  See, I don't need anybody to explain antiques to me, I am one! 


There were two small dwellings that were brought to this spot from Newton County, Georgia which is just the next county over from where we live.  These buildings were cabins for slaves from the 1860's.  The sign in front told us that this
 tiny building would house up to 17 people.  It is most unusual for any of these dwellings to have survived.  (And one cannot help but notice the difference in the table setting here in this home as compared to the big house dining room.)






I do wish we could have seen the barn and the garden area but the barn was closed due to a roof collapse! (Richard is so good at photography that you can't see the hole in the roof!)



 Okay, I want this bedroom! Love those colors!



We didn't spend all our time inside the houses! Here we are at the Grist Mill which was ALSO moved here to Stone Mountain!  Thank goodness it was, I'm sure it would have gotten torn down. Which would more than likely have been the fate of the cabins for the slaves.  We really do need to preserve history.

Hey!  I planted some Cosmos seeds, they are called "Daydream".

So that is why I kept humming this song!
A song pops into my head all the time.






25 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the tour. I enjoyed it. I would be afraid to take the cable cars in the wind!
    That's one of my favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked going into the houses with us. And glad you liked the song too!

      Delete
  2. We saw John Sebastian a few years ago at a nearby small theatre and he was absolutely wonderful. Full of stories and smiles. Pure delight.
    I loved all the rooms, but the slave one make my stomach ache. Literally. God, such sadness. I agree with you about the serenity of the "blue room". (I've read your wedding post but didn't have a chance to comment- will soon.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have seen John Sebastian, lucky you! (Anybody reading this, John Sebastian is the one who wrote the song "Daydream" and is the one singing it! The group was The Lovin Spoonful".) Did you know that John Sebastian's godmother was Vivian Vance (Ethel from "I Love Lucy") and his godfather was Garth Williams (famous children's book illustrator.) I didn't know that but I do now!
      When I go back we hope to get better photos of the slave cabins. It was very bright sun and was hard to get a good picture.
      Can't wait to see your comment on the wedding post! x

      Delete
    2. NO!!!!!! I can't believe it. VV and GW! How amazing is that.

      Delete
    3. Isn't that something? The thing is, I like both of them! I guess John Sebastian's parents did too!

      Delete
  3. I've visited Stone Mountain many times - it and the Cyclorama were my 7th grade class trip in 1957. My father even remembers school children collecting money to finish the carving in the 1920's. We are losing so much American history, including historical monuments and home sites, and especially our WW2 Veterans and Holocaust survivors. Germany does not destroy their history but uses the Concentration Camps as a teaching experience. I hope we will always preserve the past so that we can learn from it and teach our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "So that we can learn from it and teach our children"...I couldn't agree more!

      Delete
  4. Interesting historical buildings/museum and a stark reminder of how America was built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we saw those cabins, it was as if they were standing there in a kind of testimony. I'm not very good at describing things but it was moving.

      Delete
  5. It was the sensible thing to do to stop the cable cars when there were such high winds. Better safe than sorry! And you still had a good time there, looking at the historic buildings.
    Here in Germany, we have various "museum villages" where buildings from other places have been brought together. Usually, they are not brought in one piece, but are carefully dismantled, their parts numbered, and then like a 3D puzzle pieced together again once they have reached their destination. There is a typical Black Forest "farming village" not far from where O.K. lives, and on top of people allowed in to explore every building, they also regularly offer showings of old crafts and trades, anything from weaving linen to carving wooden bowls or baking bread. I have never been, but I keep reading about it and think I want to see it some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read your comment, you might smile when I tell you that the very first thing I thought of was this: "They might carefully dismantle a house in Germany but I bet in America, they broke it up just enough to fit onto a back of a truck and away down the road it went!" Now, the funny thing is....I did a search to see if there was any info about any of these houses being moved to Stone Mountain and...you will have to see my next post! LOL! And I would love to see that Black Forest farming village! You must go and do a post about it!

      Delete
  6. A new aspect of Stone Mountain I knew nothing about. (all the surrounding period buildings) Snap. I have a dozen Cosmos seeds coming up in little pots as well for a blast of summer colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a quite a bit to do at Stone Mountain but my favorite is still just spending time in nature! And you will have to show us your Cosmos when it blooms!

      Delete
  7. What lovely historic buildings, Kay. I always enjoy these types of collections (there are a few in Australia too), a great way of preserving the past. Back in the 1990s, we visited friends in Alabama who showed us some old slave cabins which were still in their area. I was amazed, because I somehow thought they would have been eradicated! That music room sure is dreamy, and I love the other rooms too. Beautiful shade of blue, and gorgeous dining chairs. The grist mill looks so picturesque by the water. It would make a great painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I knew you would love that blue too!!
      The grist mill is just a picture, truly it is!!
      I will have to go to Newton County and see if I can see where the slave cabins came from, it is also close to us. Look for future post!

      Delete
  8. I love seeing old buildings restored like so we can see a piece of history. We have several in parks around our area. Whole villages have been restored. I love seeing the pictures shown today. Thank you for sharing. love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to Williamsburg, VA? I haven't but I have always wanted to see it! Take care, MA! xx

      Delete
  9. My father used to move houses for a living. It's an interesting process. They probably took as many back roads as they could to avoid traffic. What a day for a daydream... custom made for a daydreamin' boy or girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to find something on video about the relocation of one of the houses to Stone Mountain. Pretty amazing. If your Dad did that, my hat is off to him!!

      Delete
  10. I do enjoy seeing historic sites preserved, even if they have to be moved to do so. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent History, excellent photography, and all this for a 'ball & chain...'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent History, excellent photography, and all this for a 'ball & chain...' ps, I hate Google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the photos that Richard took were excellent! (And I was tickled to see that ball and chain making sure the gate was closed, I had to pose with it!) And I see your comment above tried to come through as Anonymous...shh, don't say you hate Google, the computer will be tracking you down! :-)

      Delete