Sunday, May 15, 2022

Joy From Flowers and Music

 

Blooming flowers! I never tire of them. Honestly, every time I see a flower, it is as if I have never seen one before...


Walking Iris or Apostle Plant. (Neomarica gracilis).  









The walking iris is on our front porch and we have several in pots.

The blooms only last for one day but what a great day that is!



We also very much enjoy the blooms on different trees and shrubs that we see on our walks.  


Fringe tree (Chionanthus virginicus).

This is a native tree, also called "Grancy greybeard"!  Such a lovely thing! We saw this planted on the grounds at the Monastery and also in the woods at Panola Mountain State Park. (And also growing in woods beside the roads here and in other yards!) Wish I had one!





Mourning doves at our very expensive bird bath.  It's quite amusing to see a bird this size take a bath in such a tiny amount of water but they seem to enjoy it. (Keep it clean and the birds will come. I promise!)



Does this rabbit look big to you? Or is it just me? We have a wildlife haven at our home, I tell you!






If you remember my last post, I wrote about air conditioning and how grateful I am for it in Georgia.  So, it's a bit funny that we just had a very comfortable April and it has even been fairly cool the first two weeks of May!  The mornings in particular have been truly lovely.  What about you in your part of the world?  Do tell!

In a recent post I also spoke of seeing the International Space Station. Well, TONIGHT you should be able to see a total eclipse of the moon!  I say YOU should because I won't be able to stay up to see it, so please let me know if you do! LOL!

I don't see too many films these days but I do believe that I would like to see the new film about Elvis that will be coming out in June.
I've read that Priscilla and Lisa Marie have seen it and both of them love it.
That's good enough for me!  You have most likely seen the trailer so I am going to try to find you one of my favorite videos of Elvis....


This was from the special on TV in 1968.  I remember it well. Just like my spring flowers, it still brings me joy!





18 comments:

  1. Your Walking Iris is just gorgeous! I've never seen or heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They continue to bloom for us, we had six blooms just morning!

      Delete
  2. Those flowers are truly beautiful, and what a joy it is to watch the birds!

    We also had some cool mornings up until the end of April, but that break is over as summer is well and truly on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been so lucky with our weather here but it is almost June and that means HOT weather until late October!!

      Delete
  3. Always makes me happy but a little sad to hear Elvis. Thanks for keeping my memories alive. There'll never be another one like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know I like Elvis. I loved his films as a kid, I didn't really appreciate him until I was older and by then, everyone else thought I was "uncool" to like him but I didn't care! When I heard of his death announced on the radio on my way home from work, I pulled over and sat there a few minutes.

      Delete
  4. Like you, I never tire of beautiful flowers, good music and walks in nature! This year, I was blessed with TWO springs - the area high up in the Black Forest where O.K. and I have just spent a week is about 2-3 weeks behind the areas where we live, so while at home, most spring flowers are gone and the orchards have lost their blossoms weeks ago, up there in the cooler parts spring flowers were still in full swing!
    I didn't know there is a new film about Elvis. Sounds like something I would like to watch with my Mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been several photos on "Bing" of the Black Forest along with the history of the area and of course, I thought of you besides wanting to go there! When they spoke of those little huts where you can stop and they have food and drink, I said to myself, "That's just how Meike describes it!".
      Oh yes, please do take your Mom to see the Elvis film! And I do hope that they get the Southern accent right, you know i will be paying attention to that!

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed seeing the lilacs bloom and all the other spring blooms. We've had an up and down temp spring. Last week was warm and beautiful. This week will be cool until Friday when it's warm but only until Saturday when it's cool again! Hard to find things to wear as the weather has been so crazy! I've seen the trailer for the new Elvis film and it does look good. I remember seeing all of Elvis's films when I was a kid since my best friend just loved him! Take care and enjoy your lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my sister and I saw every single Elvis film! I loved them, people make fun of them but they were great for kids. He was always so nice to any little kid in the film. He was nice to everybody!
      https://www.pbshawaii.org/a-flower-girls-special-story/

      Delete
  6. That iris looks like it's made with butterfly wings. Guess I'll go see the Elvis movie if the family approved. Thanks for the info. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, thanks very much for that description of the flowers! We had six blooms just this morning and I shared that with my husband,
      "They look as if it's made with butterfly wings". Love it.

      Delete
  7. You are correct about flowers. They are fabulous to look at. So many varieties, colours, shapes. Good pictures also.
    Loved the birdbath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the flowers and doves. Watched King Creole recently on TV and Elvis was a good actor in that film, far better than the later musicals he ended up in. He might have had a second career as a proper actor if he'd landed decent scripts like that one instead of the lightweight stuff later on, popular though they were at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVE the film "King Creole"!!
      It IS one of his best and it is directed by one of my favorite directors of ALL TIME, Michael Curtiz!!
      I think Elvis is one of those kind of people that were quite possibly good at a great many things, not just singing, dancing or acting. That's what I think anyway! I respect Elvis and I hope the new film does also!

      Delete
  9. Love to see the mourning doves. I hear so much about them but rarely see photos. Love the Fringe tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pauline, you would have LOVED the fringe trees they were magnificent this year, truly they were!!
      And our mourning doves are so amazing, do you know that they are very fast flyers? They can come down to our bird bath and then, shoot straight up in the air and very quickly fly away! Clocked at 55MPH!!

      Delete