Sunday, March 21, 2021

Great Concert Memory- (What's Yours?)

 Even though many are acting as if everything is back to normal, I think it is too soon to be in large gatherings of people.  This reminds me of all the concerts that I have attended in my life.  Now, I dislike naming things as favorite, like my favorite book, film, concert...etc. I mean, it's difficult when you have read a great number of books, seen a lot of concerts and watched a TON of films. How can you choose a favorite? No, but there are some though, that are special, that for whatever reason...the artist (or artists) who performed, the place, the time...all that might combine to make a concert unforgettable.

I am going to tell you of one of my concert memories. (And after I do, I hope you might share a memory of your own.)  Okay then, let's go back to almost 20 years to Aug. 25, 2001...

Many concerts will just have one artist but sometimes if you are lucky enough, you might see several. (For years, Richard and I saw the Oldies Concerts at the Omni in Atlanta which had several groups from the 1960's and 1970's and while we enjoyed them, the SOUND quality was so poor that it was sometimes difficult to make out the songs!) On Aug. 25, 2001, we went to the Z93 BBQ & Blues Concert at Stone Mountain Park The only charge for attending was for the admission into the park! It was outside in what is now called "The Special Events Meadow". Here were the performers:

Christopher Cross  ("Sailing", "Ride Like The Wind", "Arthur")

Al Stewart "Year of the Cat", "Time Passages", "Joe, The Georgian"

Gary Wright   "Dream Weaver"

Ambrosia   "You're The Biggest Part of Me", "How Much I Feel"


Ambrosia was the back up band for the other musicians!  Isn't that something? My husband is the one who remembered that for me...but he would, he is a musician!

  Z93 Music Festival2001 (concertshots.com)   


IF YOU CLICK ON THAT LINK ABOVE, YOU CAN SEE PHOTOS FROM THE CONCERT! If only that drunk couple hadn't gotten up and started dancing, you would see us! We're right behind them!)

 I have given you some of their most well known songs beside each artist's name. They were all such amazing artists! We enjoyed this concert very much. My husband and I were there along with our 11 year old son. It was such an amazing concert that we called Richard's cousin and told him to get there ASAP! He came straight away and so also was able to hear some great music. 

Since we had the latest CD from Al Stewart we took it with us in hopes of getting an autograph! He didn't disappoint us, after his performance, my son and I walked behind the small stage and when he saw us with the CD, motioned us over and he signed it for us! (I encouraged Christopher to tell him one of his favorite songs on the CD, which was "Joe, The Georgian". Al Stewart must have thought we were a couple of country bumpkins because he said, "It's about Stalin, you know.". (I wonder if he thought we liked it just because we were in GEORGIA.)   Well, my friends, this has always been a funny memory in our family...you see, my reply was..."Yes, we know."

My son is VERY funny telling this story.  (He tells it like..."YEAH, AL...we KNOW.")  Of course, the song IS about Stalin but hey, it is a very lively tune and I have it here for you, see if you don't agree! It is very interesting...Al Stewart writes a great many songs that are tied in with history, you should really check him out! Oh! And one more thing...years before this, when I worked for a travel agency, I saw that Al Stewart was performing at Lake Tahoe. I sent him a note to where he was scheduled to perform along with a post card addressed to myself. Hey! I had a stamp on it! I asked him if could send it back to me and let me know when his next album would be coming out.  HE MAILED IT BACK TO ME!  Isn't that great? (He told me that "Last Days of the Century" would be released on Sept. 1, 1988.)  I just looked it up and it said it was released on Aug. 24, 1988...maybe it came out just a wee bit earlier than expected!




                                           Here I am on top of Stone Mountain! It only looks
                                             like I am about to fall off.  I am not anywhere near the edge! (See
                                             Atlanta in the distance?)


                                            It is a tradition to have Easter Sunrise Service on Stone Mountain. 
                                            Cancelled last year, not sure about this year.


                                            






Okay, now...what concert memory would you like to share with me?

Don't be shy!

_____________________________________________________________________-

Hope you are all doing well! Guess what?!  I got my first Covid 19 vaccine yesterday! It was a real shot in the arm! HA HA!  I was so happy to get the appointment. My 2nd one is scheduled for April 12th, I will be there with BELLS on! You know I will!

 Oh, and also, in my last post, I told you about Aaron Frazer, if you remember. He will be the musical guest on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" tomorrow night, March 22nd!  See, he will hit it really big now that I have mentioned him on my blog.   Tee-hee.




28 comments:

  1. My most memorable concert was the Guess Who's final concert as a band before they broke up. It was 1975 in Winnipeg at the old Winnipeg Arena. I still have the ticket stubs somewhere, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVED the Guess Who! Back then, I had no idea that they were from Canada! You should be proud of your singers and bands from Canada!

      Delete
  2. Now I've heard Joe The Georgian, and I know it's about Stalin. I remember Year Of The Cat. Loved that song. Best concert ever: Paul McCartney, RFK Stadium, July 4, 1990. Our seats were in the nosebleed section, but it didn't matter. I was so happy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who saw Paul McCartney and she also was in the nosebleed section. Guess what, someone came up and asked them if they wanted to move to closer seats. (Apparently, this is done at his concerts.) You know she said YES!! I saw him with WINGS in ....1977, I guess it was, to hear him play "Yesterday", just Paul with his guitar...magical. xx

      Delete
    2. Paul and I sang Yesterday together at his concert. No one noticed me, but I knew I was alone with him. I remember the tour in '77. I was so jealous of a friend who got to go.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it was the same for me. Just me and Paul! Magical, a wonderful memory.

      Delete
  3. Your concert sounds very memorable. What a good topic! Hard to choose, I have to say my best was when The Beatles came to Brisbane back in the 1960s. With a group of girlfriends, we screamed out heads off, and for me it was Paul, Paul, Paul, he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And keep in mind, we already had annual passes to Stone Mountain Park, so it was really FREE! And see my comment above about PAUL!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting your vaccine shot. I've had both and am so relieved. I didn't actually go to a concert of any kind until I was in my 60's. I got to see a Christmas show done by a famous band. It was wonderful even though I was in the nosebleed section. My son and his wife took me for a Christmas gift. Concerts were never in my budget but have watch some on TV. Not the same for sure, but I'm thankful for the free show.Hope you all can have your sunrise service. It's such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I used to camp out for concert tickets back in the day when you had to do that...nothing like sleeping in a sleeping bag on cold concrete in order to hear a favorite band! Kids these days...gee whiz, they have no idea! I love a sunrise service at Easter, there is just something about the world coming to light on Easter morning. xx

      Delete
  5. That concert sounds super special! And well done with the vaccine shot, isn't it good to feel that "normal" life might not be such an unattainable dream as it's seemed over the last year! I would love to visit Stone Mountain. I just looked it up and see that it has all kinds of attractions for families too - and it's HUGE. You're lucky to live so near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stone Mountain IS amazing! If you are ever at the Atlanta airport, you can actually see it from the runway. You also might fly over it, but look carefully, it might be Arabia Mountain (which is smaller but really closer to the airport.) The trees and flowers that grow on the rock are amazing...but you might know that already from my blog!!

      Delete
  6. My most memorable concert was the first year I took my granddaughter to see the Irish Rovers for the first time. She just glowed with pleasure for the whole thing. I also saw Gary Lewis and the Playboys way back when. It was my first real concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Gary Lewis and the Playboys, you know I do!!
      How wonderful to take your granddaughter to a concert! And YOUR pleasure was seeing HER pleasure!! Well done, you!!

      Delete
  7. My favourite concert performance, hands down, was my first live performance of Handel's glorious, "Messiah." I have not a shred of religiosity in me, and it is purely the music that inspires me. I have been to many performances since but nothing will ever replace the spine-tingling sensation of the first time. A close second would be a wonderful presentation of Dvorjak's "Requiem", a seldom produced and highly underrated piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have just mentioned a concert that I have often talked of wanting to see- Handel's "Messiah"!! Since I don't know the other piece you mention, I will look it up.
      Thanks very much for your comment, I see from your blog you love birds as much as I do! Let's spread the word about our feathered friends, we need more bird lovers in the world!

      Delete
  8. A fine collection of songs there but we do have very different tastes. Best concerts for me would be Neil Young (25 years ago)
    Cloudbusting (2 years ago) Joan as Policewoman( 3 years ago) Good sound quality makes all the difference to any performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is crazy about Neil Young too! (I hope you heard his version of "Heart of Gold"!!
      We might have different tastes in music but you know I love ya like a brother anyway!! And we certainly agree about sound quality. Why, you will never know how much I listen to something on YouTube before I share it here. Sometimes I am forced to go with something with inferior sound quality just so you can hear it, but believe me, I take a lot of TIME over it!! :-)

      Delete
  9. I have not been to many concerts in my life, but I do enjoy life music very much. At our town‘s annual International Street Music Festival, you can wander around in the palace grounds and stop whereever a band makes music that you like, and then move on to the next, or return to one that you liked the first time round, and so on.
    Of course, nothing like that was possible this year, and I can not see it happening this year, either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In England, and I wonder if it might be the same in Germany, you can just happen upon a brass band! And they are so good! I do miss things like that, because things are not looking good for visiting England in 2021 either. Oh well, good thing you know someone who can play music for you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. On 4th July 1985 I saw Bruce Springsteen play at Wembley Stadium. It was an unforgettable night. He started at 6pm with Independence Day and finished with a twenty minute version of Twist and Shout which had us all mesmerised and although people had edged towards the gate, nobody left the stadium till he finished at 10.45pm. There were 72,000 of us.
    I like a sunrise service on Easter Day too so last year, when there were none, I did my own on my doorstep, with a hot cross bun and a cup of tea. I watched the sunrise, read the bible and some reflections and telephoned a friend so that we could wish each other Happy Easter and say The Lord's Prayer together. I looks as if I'll be doing the same thing this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear,you are very much like me! I also had my own sunrise service last year at Easter and following the service in The Common Book of Prayer, my husband and I also had Holy Communion. I think my husband was surprised at how special it felt. Now as for music, I have read that Bruce Springsteen gives a great concert, you have confirmed it! God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness...where do I start???

    David Bowie, John Denver, Mikis Theodorakis (Composer of "Zorba, the Greek" and "Z" soundtracks), Benny Goodman, Johnny Mathis, Paul McCartney & Wings, Springsteen...and the list goes on, to name but a few.

    My late brother and I were fortunate to meet and talk with John Denver after his live performance. What concert it was...about 18 moths prior to his tragic, untimely death.

    Another highlight was to be in the audience, in the early 70s, of Aussie tenor, Donald Smith. Quote: "DDonald Sydney Smith was born in Bundaberg, Queensland, on 27th July 1920. He made his Sadler's Wells debut in England in 1962, where he performed many Verdi operas including Attila, Rigoletto and Un ballo in maschera. He also performed at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, where he made his debut as Calaf in Puccini's Turandot opposite the English soprano Amy Shuard. He established his career in the UK for six years, before returning to Australia in 1967 to sing with the Australian Opera in major roles including Canio, Manrico (Il trovatore), Bob Boles (Peter Grimes), the Duke of Mantua (Rigoletto), Dick Johnson (The Girl of the Golden West), Cavaradossi (Tosca), Radames (Aida), and King Gustavus (Un ballo in maschera). He also sang the Germanic operatic repertoire, including Florestan in Fidelio and Eric in The Flying Dutchman." End Quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addendum...

      And, of course, up there way up high with the best...the icing upon the icing on the cake...was witnessing Rudolf Nureyev's live performance of "Giselle" \...in Brisbane in the mid-70s.

      If that wasn't just the greatest...to top the thrill of being in the audience to watch the master of the art of dance...at the end of his performance....Nureyev smiled and bowed at me...at me! True story!

      I will never forget that exhilarating moment. What an extraordinary, brilliant, beyond-compare talent he was....I adored him...I still do!

      Delete
    2. And there's more! Also in the early 70s I was lucky enough to be in the audience of a live performance of the Glenn Miller Orchestra led by Buddy DeFranco!!! I certainly was in the mood for that!!! :)

      Delete
    3. Lee!!! Thank you so much for sharing these memories! I just read every word out loud to my husband! I never saw John Denver in concert but I truly wish I had. And the music of Glenn Miller, what a great concert that must have been. I have seen only one opera in my life but I truly enjoyed it. And ballet!I have seen Swan Lake and The Nutcracker, that last one I have seen many times, just love it. xx

      Delete
    4. Kay, my mother who was a brilliant pianist loved the music of Glenn Miller (she introduced so much music to us when my brother and I were kids).

      One of the regular pieces she would play on our piano was "Moonlight Serenade".

      I was running a little late arriving to the Glenn Miller concert, arriving as they'd begun playing their first tune....none other than "Moonlight Serenade".

      What an omen it seem to be to me.

      Naturally, me being me...tears immediately filled my eyes. :)

      Delete
  14. Oh gosh, Kay... I haven't been to a concert in ages. And ages and ages. And yes, you DO look like you're about to fall off the edge.

    ReplyDelete