Thursday, June 18, 2020

A Celebration of Spring (Edward Mitchell Bannister)



Summer will begin on June 20th. (The first full day will be on Sunday, June 21st)  Before it gets here, I just wanted to tell you that this year in Georgia, our spring has been positively gorgeous. Really it has, unseasonably cool and actually pleasant to be outside. We have had rain but even then, that has been nice and mostly the showers have been short lived and just enough to make things lovely and green. And the flowers! Oh my stars, how beautiful they have been...









That last photo...it was in bright sunlight but these are coreopsis flowers and they are blooming at the side of the road! We also have them in our garden and they are one of our favorites! This year, we think they really liked the rain and cooler temps, they have bloomed beautifully!

Now, I do hope that you clicked on the video that I gave you at the very beginning of my post.  It shows a painting by Edward Mitchell Bannister.  I think it is lovely. And what a fascinating artist! He was an African American born in Canada in  1828 but later moved to Boston, Massachusetts before settling in Rhode Island.  From what I have read about him, he was very well liked and respected.  Here is a quote from him, "All that I would do, I cannot-that is, all that I could say in art-simply from lack of training, but with God's help, I hope to deliver the message he entrusted to me".  Of course, you know that Edward M. Bannister would have had to overcome great obstacles to become a well known artist!

I only just learned of this artist from watching an episode of  Antique Road Show where a lady had inherited one of his paintings and she had no idea of its worth. She said that she came very close to throwing it out! (Why do people want to throw away art? I just can't understand it.) Still, I am thankful that she didn't throw it away and she brought it to the Antique Road Show and I was able to learn of Edward Mitchell Bannister.  I would give you a link to read more about him but I can't figure out this new blogger thing, so you guys are on your own! 

Once again, I can just SEE a film about this artist!  If they ever do make one, I will let you know!

A Celebration of Spring!  (Better late than never!) Wishing you guys a lovely summer!


27 comments:

  1. Stunning beauty under the sun.

    Great artwork, accompanied by lovely music.

    (I hope you saw my response to your response to my response to your previous post, Kay! *smiles*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go and look and see now! :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, I watched that video from 1963, I think it was of the Bee Gees when they were very young! Great!!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this painter before but you are right -- gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind having this painting on a wall in my small flat, it is gorgeous, and I love blossoms on trees anyway, every year wishing they would last longer than the roughly two weeks over here.
    Our spring was extraordinarily beautiful this year, too. We had plenty of sunshine (it was actually way too dry) but finally, there have been some cooler days and very welcome rain over the past two weeks or so.
    You too have a lovely summer, dear Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased to see that episode and to learn more about this artist. When I found this painting by him on this video, I knew I had to have it on my blog. AND the painting is at the High Museum in Atlanta! Maybe I will get to see it one day if things every open up again properly.
      Take care!

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely painting. I cannot understand why anyone would want to throw it out. Philistine!
    Kay, I love the flowers in this post. Is the orange colored one some sort of azalea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people that get to inherit things, they make me sick! :-)
      And YES! The orange flower is a native azalea, it was in a new planting at Panola Mountain State Park. We were thrilled to see that they had planted them there! You can also see them in the woods!

      Delete
  5. Our Spring was late in arriving but yes, I've been celebrating by getting outside more than ever. I like summer too be sometimes the heat and humidity get too much for me and I stay indoors trying to keep cool. To bad it is such a short season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, the summer is just a bit too hot and humid for me. Honestly, I am a native Georgian, you would think I would be used to it by now!!
      Take care and if you go out, wear a mask, my friend!

      Delete
  6. The painting is exquisite. The flowers on the tree look so soft and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! It is very beautiful, isn't it? If you read anything at all about this artist, I think you will like him as much as I do. AND I just found out about him!!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! That is such a gorgeous painting. I do love his painting style. Your flowers are all so gorgeous Kay! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy summer to you, Kay! And I know you have gorgeous flowers in Hawaii. ALOHA!

      Delete
  8. I saw on Fox news earlier this week that Vera Lynn passed away at the age of 103. I thought you might be interested.
    Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did see that she had passed away. I am so thankful that I sent her a birthday card in March. I hope she got THOUSANDS!
      Nan at her blog wrote something of her passing that I loved (I love Nan and her blog!). https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2020/06/vera-lynns-death.html

      Delete
  9. Great photos, you must have taken them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I think I took the first 3 and Richard took the last two. We make a good team! :-) That last one, I made him park beside the road and then, cross a fairly busy road to get that shot of the Coreopsis!

      Delete
  10. Looks lovely. Normally we get a lot of rain here but it's been one of the driest and sun soaked spring periods since records began, two and a half months so far with hardly a day of rain up here.... and stuck indoors during lock down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I bet that meant a lot of folks looking out their windows, saying "Oh really? Great weather and we can't get out? It is usually POURING with rain!"
      Frustration, I am sure! It's hot now though, my son and I just went on a walk and I think I am melting. :-) Summer in Georgia!

      Delete
  11. Why discard art? Donate it to Goodwill and let someone else buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of the flowers this year have been over-the-top, haven't they? Everything has been so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They have been so pretty! Hope you didn't get any of the bad winds last night, we had several trees down in our county. Scary.

      Delete
  13. I hadn't heard of this painter but his work is just beautiful … as are your flower photographs.

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to introduce you to an artist! I had never heard of him either so I had to share the info!
      Hope you have a good week, Jan!

      Delete