Saturday, January 18, 2020

"Bespoke" and "What Is It When It's Home?"




Having been married to a Brit since 1983, I am still amazed at how many words or expressions that I come across that Richard will know but that I have never heard in my life! When we were in London a few years back, we came across a sign that said, "Bespoke Tailoring".  Now, we don't use that word in the USA so I looked it up.  It simply means "custom made". Funny how there are certain words in the English language that simply didn't make it across the pond! Another funny thing for us, you can listen to a Brit pronounce it (male voice) and then, an American woman pronounce it, and they sound very much like Richard and myself! You may listen just  here.  Okay, I listened again and the woman sounds a bit like me but the man's voice made us both laugh since it sounds very much like Richard!  (Wait, Richard are you making extra money with your voice and not telling me?)

And it is not just words but expressions that I will not know! We were watching a TV show from Britain, "Vera" with Brenda Blethyn.  One of the characters stated to Vera that he was trying to get into the IOAS, and she said back to him, "What is that when it's home?".  It made me laugh and I asked Richard if he had ever heard that expression before and HE said, "Of course." (In his very polite English voice, don't you know!) You can get the meaning from the context quite easily but if you look it up, it states this: "British English spoken used humorously to ask what a long or unusual word means". Of course, in the example I gave you above, it was a long string of letters...which by the way, have any of you come across that lately? People will automatically think you know every single initialism and acronym on Earth! I am in a state of bewilderment at any time of the day.
NOTE:  I used IOAS above but I can't remember what the exact letters were used! So before anybody tells me there is no such thing as IOAS, I had to give you some kind of letters so I could tell you about the expression. As always, I can never remember details, I am a look-at-the-big-picture kind of gal!

Okay then, you now know that I am in a state of confusion on most days. How have you all been? I was thinking of asking y'all "How are you? and "Have you been alright?" and you know it brought a song right into my head! There really is a song that comes to me almost every single minute. My brain is full of tunes and song lyrics.  (No room for passwords or appointment dates.)


Jeff Lynne! There, isn't it nice to hear his voice? You know it is for me! "Lovely, thank you very much".  I hope you will listen until the very end! This video is just Jeff Lynne singing as he plays the guitar along with someone playing the piano. Incredible! It is from 2012! And you must remember that Jeff Lynne is also the SONGWRITER! How much do I love good songwriting? You know I do! Now, Jeff Lynn released a new album in November 2019, it is "From Out of Nowhere". (Jeff Lynne ELO, I should say and I hope you all know that ELO stands for Electric Light Orchestra. You know I know THAT one!) Grateful for the voice of Jeff Lynne and thankful that he is still writing music and performing. (I am also quite bewildered by the mumbling of most singers these days. Honestly I am.)






Richard and I took a late afternoon walk at the Monastery last week and that is where he took the first two photos.  The last photo of the sunrise, that is from our front driveway just yesterday morning. What is Richard when he's at home?  TALENTED! 





30 comments:

  1. I've heard that British expression before (probably from books/movies) but it's only been in the last 2 or 3 years that I learned the word "bespoke" and what it means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could fill a book about the things I don't know and I think I could fill a bigger book about the things I have forgotten I knew! :-)

      Delete
  2. In Scotland I've been asked a few times, "Are you well enough? for, "How are you?". And in Georgia, in 1975, when someone said, "Y'all come back now," as I was leaving from our conversation, (at the Tourist Information booth) I immediately turned around and returned wondering what the woman wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all come back now! Tee hee, that's funny, you turned back around! And I like that, "are you well enough?" I find the different ways we use the same language very interesting.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, Kay! You won't be surprised that I am familiar with both expressions; after all, I was not only married to a Yorkshire man but am still very much in touch with my family there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me how well you know the English language, even down to the expressions that other English might not know! (I talked to my father-in-law and HE didn't know that expression that Vera used!)

      Delete
  4. I don't think many people use 'bespoke' any more. Or perhaps they do but I'm not aware of it. When I worked all my suits and shirts were bespoke. I only have two suits now: my funeral suit (the last remaining 'office' suit I had. Given that I retired 24 years ago I'm surprised it still fits me but it does) and my evening dress. For weddings I wear a (bespoke) kilt. I've been saying all that to try and remember the word I would usually use instead of 'bespoke'. The phrase is 'made to measure'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bespoke kilt for a wedding, I bet you look spiffy!
      And I know that the florist on your island is Bespoke Blooms!

      Delete
  5. It is always interesting to learn the different ways we have of saying the same things. It does keep our conversations from being boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a great many things interesting and language is one of them!

      Delete
  6. You always have the most interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be nice being married to a Brit. I think they have the sexiest accent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell Richard that, he has too many women hanging on his very word as it is! :-)

      Delete
  8. "Bespoke" suddenly became THE word to use a few years ago here in the Land Down Under. In newspaper articles, magazine..."bespoke" was the "It" word, it seemed. Not by me, though...I never followed the in-trend. Actually, I had to look up it's meaning when it suddenly hit our shores/newspapers/magazines!

    I guess I'm just not "with it". I've never been "part of the in-crowd"...never wanted to be. :)

    Love the song....ELO were a great group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear, I am so with you about those "trendy" words. My son will tell you, there was a time there that whenever I heard the word "eclectic", I wanted to scream!
      Glad you liked the song too!!

      Delete
  9. Unusual phrasing? The last time I was in London, I came across two signs that really made me smile. One was for "Posh Hot Chocolate"; the other was a "Polite Notice" about bikes attached to a rail will be removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posh hot chocolate as opposed to the common hot chocolate for common folk? HA!
      And the polite notice about the bikes, that sounds like the Brits!

      Delete
    2. 'Polite Notice' is common.
      It is supposed to fool people in thinking it reads 'Police notice.'
      It always fails.

      Delete
    3. POLICE notice. Ha! That's funny! I had to read that twice before I saw it said "police" instead of "polite". That is what my brain is like after I work all day!

      Delete
  10. I am always in a confused state when it comes to language, so many words with so many different meanings. Yes it is always good to learn something new. And I'm here to say, You are never too old to do so. We keep learning every day of our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do keep learning if we pay attention! Now, if only I can remember what I learn! :-)

      Delete
  11. I love the last photo of clouds. It's fun to learn what a British phrase means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John! THanks, I will tell Richard you like that photo. Guess what, I just looked at his photos, and that one wasn't even the best one. He is very good at photography!
      Lovely to see your comment here! Take care!

      Delete
  12. I had a very gifted student a long while ago when I was teaching 1st grade. His mom was very careful not to call him a genius, but he's the only student I would say came close to that definition. She told me that he had already read Harry Potter, but in the British version. I see now why that was extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention Harry Potter, he also had the Harry Potter books in the American version AND the British versions!
      Your student had already read them in 1st grade? Sounds like genius material to me! Thanks for your comment, Kay! Love to Art and to your dear mother. xx

      Delete
  13. My 'Bespoke' clothes come from the charity shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I can't even afford charity shops, I just keep wearing the same old things. I have a couple of shirts that I wore when C. was a baby. He is 30 now!

      Delete
  14. Dear Kay, I did learn "bespoke" because of a mystery--British, of course--that I watched on BritBox. As to Jeff Lynne, I'd never before read or heard his name or listened to his music. Thank you for introducing me to him. The song saddened me--the message so beautiful and no one answering. Life feels like that sometimes to me also. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! You must have heard of ELO? Jeff Lynne was the leader of the group, their hits were "Mr. Blue Sky", "All Over The World", and lots more I can't think of just now! They were great and had big hits in the 70's and 80's. Jeff Lynne is not only a singer and guitarist but a great songwriter too. Peace to you always.

      Delete