Saturday, September 22, 2018

"Chas" from Chas & Dave Has Died...Charles Hodges


Chas and Dave...you might have noticed their names on my blog before. How much I love them and their musical talents!  Today, Charles "Chas" Hodges has died.  He had been going through cancer treatments for some time now. (His death was attributed to pneumonia. Chas's family wanted to emphasize this since his cancer was under control. They felt Chas would want those suffering with cancer to know this, that it was pneumonia that was the cause of his death.) 

 When our son was a baby, my English in-laws sent us " Chas & Dave's Jamboree Bag #3". It  had so many songs on it!  They included old songs from the music halls in England but with Chas & Dave's own kind of style.  There was a Knees Up Side, a Rock and Roll side, Waltz side, and an Old Time Boogie side.  I wonder how much this influenced our youngster in his love of music.    How much we enjoyed this in the car as we traveled! It was almost always what our C. would ask for.  We would all sing along joyfully with them.

Of course, Chas and Dave were also songwriters! You all must know by now how much I admire songwriters. Some of their biggest hits: "Ain't No Pleasing You", "Rabbit", "Snooker Loopy" and do you remember the song that was used for London Heathrow Airport "Coming Home"- that was written by Chas & Dave.

One of the songs that they wrote,  "Mustn't Grumble" is one of my favorites.  Listen to the words!   Once again, the combination of music and words combined perfectly together is simply a marvel to me.  Bloomin' marvelous, Chas! Thank you. 






Hey!  Why not give you more of that album?  Okay then,  here is the Old Time Boogie Side.  We need to hear more music like this. Sing along if you like, I am sure that would be a nice way to honor Chas. 


30 comments:

  1. It seems we've lost a lot of great people in the music world this year. I agree what better way to honor them than to play their music! It will last years and years after they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chas & Dave are not just brillant musicians and songwriters but just really nice guys. I wish someone would make a movie about them. You saw the idea for this on my blog first!

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard of Chas' death until reading your post just now. Thank you for this nice tribute about the men and their music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard for me to write when I try to write about something that I care about. So sad to read this news today.

      Delete
  3. They're great. I'm glad you remembered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John. Don't you just love that "Mustn't Grumble" song? Just so good, we need to remember that.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know, they had been performing this year and only just had to cancel some gigs recently. Playing music as long as possible!

      Delete
  5. My condolences to Mr. Chas' family, friends, and fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Chas but I felt as if I did. He must have had many, many fans.

      Delete
  6. so sorry I had never heard of them but really like what I heard
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think they are very well known in America but they should be!

      Delete
  7. I know Chas and Dave were musical favourites that you liked. R.I.P Chas. 76 is not a bad innings though for someone working in clubs and pubs over decades as before the smoking ban they were not healthy places to earn a living in for artists and performers. In some of the old club circuit videos you could cut the air with a knife the smoke was so visible hanging over the audience and of course stages were usually raised higher than the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even remember the pubs with all the smoke! As much as I loved those old pubs, the smoke was terrible.
      Thanks for remembering how much I love Chas & Dave! Glad someone is paying attention! :-)

      Delete
  8. I did not know these musicians, but they are great IMHO....So sorry that one has died. How versatile they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMHO...sorry, I don't know what that means.
      They were very good together. I am thinking of Dave now, he has lost his musical partner of many years. And Chas and Dave stopped performing for a few years a while back because Dave lost his wife. So sad for him.

      Delete
    2. In My Humble Opinion....(And I loved that Musn't Grumble.)

      Delete
    3. My son would laugh at me not knowing that! There is a columnist in a local newspaper here and his column is In My Humble But Correct Opinion. Love that.☺

      Delete
  9. Music that makes you smile. What a nice tribute. Their music will go on and on and continue for folks to enjoy. That's a great legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right, music is forever. I am hoping that someone will make a movie about them. Perhaps my favorite director, Michael Apted will read my blog and follow up on this!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, I didn't mention what a lovely man he was, but I hope it was implied.

      Delete
  11. Great music and we certainly do need more of it.

    I hope you get to watch the documentary streaming on Netflix, Kay...."Quincy"....it's about Quincy Jones. It is a brilliant doco about a brilliant, talented man. It's not to be missed...take my word for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good documentaries are what I love! When I see this, I will think of you. Might take years until they show it on public television. ☺

      Delete
    2. If you're not with Netflix, perhaps you can find the DVD of the documentary at a library, Kay. It really is worth seeing...and I know you will love it.

      Delete
    3. That's a great idea! I forget th at our library has DVDs now. And how quickly things go to DVD! I know I will love it. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Lovely tribute, Kay. Very sad - they were quite an act and much loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the music critics seemed dismissive of them which irritates me no end! Those who are truly musically talented appreciate them and that is what matters.

      Delete
  13. I hadn't heard of them before, but I can see why you liked them. They must have brought joy into many, many lives with their music and songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I really hoped to see them perform one day. So sorry we lost Chas. Would be nice if someone made a film about their music. We need more joyful music like that.

      Delete