Friday, September 28, 2018

A Walk At Arabia Mountain





If you look at these photos, you might think we are in the North Georgia mountains.  We are not, this is actually just a few miles from a shopping mall which is just next to a very busy interstate highway.  This is on one of the trails at Arabia Mountain! You see, we don't just walk UP the mountain, we walk on as many trails as we can. (Once again, I will tell you that Arabia Mountain is really a monadnock, but hey, it is easier to call it a mountain!)

September has been so very hot.  This one morning that we hiked was a bit cooler due to it being overcast and it was such a welcome relief to have a nice long hike on the trails.  We walked for three hours that day.  Then, it began to heat up, so we headed home. What did we see that day?


                                Yellow Daisies!


                         Eastern Boxed Turtle



An old grave with the headstone of granite. I am guessing it would have been locally quarried from Arabia Mountain.  Also, I love the red leaf hanging on the fence. See it, just there at the back? I am thinking it is a sassafras leaf. Can't tell you how happy I am to identify it! I hope I am right! Do you see it? The Sassafras has THREE different leaves, that is the baseball mitt shaped one   three lobed one.  (Sorry, I said baseball mitt shaped one but as you can see it is the three lobed one!)
See the back of the headstone?  Notice that the bottom has been left a bit unfinished. Do you see the pattern of the rock? That is why this rock was quarried in this area, it is in buildings all over the country.


The lake that you come upon as you walk this trail is a special treat!  

At the very end of the walk, we saw not one, not two but THREE things that stopped me in my tracks!  I will have to tell you all about that in a future post, my friends!
Hope you are all doing well.  I have been a bit under the weather this week, but things are looking up!  

And just to make myself feel better, this a photo of me from England.  This should make you giggle!

34 comments:

  1. This all looks so wonderful. I love Arabia mountain and I've never been there. But your lovely photographs make me love it, the woods, the happy yellow daisies, the box turtle going about his own life....The pond. the stones, the red leaf. All make me smile. (So does your last photo!) Now I am very curious about those three things that stopped you and will be very eager to read about them in a future post. I am very glad that you are beginning to feel well. May that continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful place, so glad you like to see it here. That day was overcast which was good for us but photos are better when there is more sun! The yellow daisies this year were gorgeous, and I didn't tell you but they smell heavenly. x

      Delete
  2. That trail must have helped make you feel better. Lovely scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my problems is my breathing and I always breathe better when I am outside.
      Don't you love those big rocks?

      Delete
  3. I am sorry that you've not been well, but glad you were able to go walking that day. Thank you for sharing the walk with us, and the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kay, I like that hike . I wish I could identify more leaves than I do. I do know poison ivy, so that's good to know. :) Fun photo from England. Get well soon. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can identify poison ivy, all the years I have been in Georgia and as much of it as we have, I still have trouble with that one! Leaves of three, yes I know, but sometimes it will trick you, the way it will hide. Blessings to you, sweet Susie!

      Delete
  5. A nice walk in the middle of town. We are cool and lovely here. So sorry you have been under the weather.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look up Arabia Mountain on a map, you will see how close it is to that busy, busy interstate but when you are there, you are worlds away!

      Delete
  6. It is a wonderful time of year with the cooler weather making it possible to get out doors and enjoy it. You have a great place to walk with lots to see. The pictures are beautiful. Hope you are feeling better and can continue to enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our September was more like August, but that ONE morning, it cooled down a bit and man, was that a very welcome thing! Our cooler weather...we are still waiting for it! Even if I am not feeling great, I still try to get out to walk, nature restores me.

      Delete
  7. First I've heard of the mountain, while I'm not super far from N. Georgia, I rarely ever venture into the peach state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you have heard of Stone Mountain? If not, you need to venture into Georgia and bring us some of those S. Carolina peaches, would you? Thanks, we might be the peach state, but South Carolina produces more, as I am sure you know. (Not that I would turn down peaches from any state, just saying.)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Oh yes, I hear that one all the time. Yawn.
      HA HA!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kay - good old Eastbourne ... memories! Lovely walk .. and that turtle is a delight to see ... the gravestone ... gorgeous hot Fall walk - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot Fall Walk, yes that the kind that we have!
      You know Eastbourne! That was taken at the Redoubt, I am sure you know it.

      Delete
  10. I love going for walks in a park. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you’ve not been feeling too well, i hope you are doing much better soon.

    Those monadnock mountains are so pretty i hope to get to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in Atlanta, you could do all three-Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain, Panola Mountain! In fact, today they are having a triple mountain hike in one day! Wish I could do it but not able to do so just yet, but I hope to one day.

      Delete
  12. I always like seeing your posts about Arabia mountain. It looks such a charming and rather varied place. I never saw a leaf shaped like a baseball mitt. As you know we don't have them in England! (and not many baseball mitts either though I saw someone using one the other day - except his kids wanted him to play cricket. You would have laughed) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked back at my little leaf and I am realizing that the leaf that I showed you is the THREE LOBED leaf and not the baseball mitt one! (It would be like a mitten.) I do think the leaf is from the sassafras though, so I hope I got that right!
      I must admit I miss baseball if I visit England in the Spring!
      Glad you like Arabia Mountain too!

      Delete
  13. Nice walk and love the little turtle and the photo selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait til you see the photos of the yellow daisies that Richard has taken in the sunshine, they are so pretty. Wish I could bottle the fragrance, it is wonderful.
      The turtle was really moving but it completely froze when I approached it and that way, I got some photos!

      Delete
  14. Such a lovely way to spend time. You look awesome in that bikini :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful trail, so what was it that stopped you in your tracks. Curious .....Luv Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nothing earth-shaking just some bits of nature that made me very happy. Most people would have walked right by them and not even noticed. I will show you in another post! :-)

      Delete
  16. Wonderful big boulders. There is something quite special about big boulders, huge rocks...I might sound crazy..but that's okay....I've never denied being so! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lee, you are so right. These boulders are just so beautiful and at different times of the day, they look so different the way the light shines upon them...I don't care if people think I am crazy for loving rocks! :-)

      Delete