Sunday, August 19, 2018

I'm For The Birds-I HOPE You Are Too!




Want to see some fantastic photos of birds? You should see the pictures that were entered into the Audubon Photography Contest for 2018.  You may see them just  here!  (Let me know if you have the time to look at the photos and what you think. I love the one with the bird in the stream holding that leaf...for some reason, that one really stood out for me.)

Will you see any of MY photos there?  Not hardly! Although, I must tell you that I took a photo one year of two baby blue-grey gnatcatchers in my backyard and that photo is proudly displayed at the home of my in-laws in England.  Hey, I should have sent it off to Audubon that year! (And if you are thinking that Richard must have taken that picture, he was at work, so I promise that one is mine. Honest!)

 I am glad that we were able to take my English in-laws, Joan and Peter to Florida when our son, Christopher was just a wee lad.  We went to the Gulf Coast side of Florida and we all enjoyed a bird sanctuary there at Indian Rocks Beach.   Joan and I both got t-shirts that said "I'm For The Birds". Recently, our son went back to the same area and I am happy when he told me that the bird sanctuary is still there.  It is called the Seaside Seabird Sanctuary and it is FREE! (Of course, you will want to support it if you visit, either by donations or by purchases.) I have a link for you just here.
Christopher visited the sanctuary in honor of his Nana, who died in March of this year.

It is not easy to get a good photo of a bird.  They FLY, for Pete's sake, and they move very quickly when they are on the ground or on a limb of a tree or bush but here's the thing, they are beautiful!
So, it is well worth your time to notice them and to observe them. Not sure what bird you are seeing?  It is quite easy to identify them now with the aid of the computer and digital cameras. Back in the day, one could only identify them from bird book guides with photos and that, my friends, was not an easy thing to do!
 We very much miss the lakes that were drained at Panola Mountain State Park.  We miss them very much.  The work is still being done there, so we are in hope that we will have the lakes back again in the spring of 2019.  Here's hoping!  Hope...

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

This poem is by Emily Dickinson. I am sure you know it.

31 comments:

  1. I'm for the birds, too! There is a bird sanctuary of sorts on a tiny island on a pond in Venice, Florida. The birds chose it themselves and I don't think anything is done for them, but it is an amazing place to see them! It's on a little road that goes beside the town hall. I love that Emily Dickinson poem. I have a painting with the word "Hope" in my bedroom. We need to keep hope in our hearts, always. And I hope the lakes on Panola Mountain are back next year, more beautiful than ever if that is possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is called the Rookery, I just looked it up! It looks magnificent! Maybe I will get there one day. I live in HOPE!
      When I am able to be back at those lakes, you will know it from my blog! x

      Delete
  2. Kay, I love birds. All the pictures were fabulous. The one with the leaf...wonder why he wanted to carry it, for nest building maybe. My daughter Kathy is a huge bird watchers. She so good at recognizing their songs too. So sweet of your son to think of his nana. She would be so happy to know that. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love those bird photos! And you are correct about the bird songs! Do you know that if you go on a bird hike, you can count the bird songs that your hear, just the same as if you see them! I know a lot of bird songs but not all of them! I know, our son is so sweet. He loved his Nana so much. Blessings to you, sweet Susie. xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Kay - they are beautiful to see out in the 'bush' ... ie wild. But Audubon photography produces such excellent pictures - I've had one or two of their calendars ... Hope is a delightful poem - we all need it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Audubon Society! And you know I have their calendars too, along with the National Park Calendars! Hope you are doing well out in your neck of the woods! x

      Delete
  4. Yep, I'm for the birds also but seriously regret I cannot take a recognizable picture of them so I just watch and record them mentally. I am so envious of those of you who can capture them in all there beauty. Thank you from those of us who can't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have to watch and record them mentally. My husband is the better photographer anyway! I am so lucky that he lets me use his photos on here for you. xx

      Delete
  5. Now that I think about it, birds are probably the most commonly photographed animal outside of family pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that may be true. I think birds are getting more respect these days. I hope so!

      Delete
  6. We feed the birds year round. I will get over to see the pictures in a bit but you are right they are hard to get a photo of.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THey can be really tough to photograph, for me anyway! xx

      Delete
  7. It's hard to take photos of birds, because they fly away the instant you point a camera at them. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That is why I let Richard do all the "shooting"!

      Delete
  8. Water birds are easier to take a picture of. Cormorants for instance stay put for a long time. Swans and ducks swim merrily along enjoying the swim. I will definitely go to see the birds but I'll have to do it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the water birds are easier, if you can see them, that is! Sometimes, they are very still by the water and blend in very well with the background!!

      Delete
  9. Yes, i am for the birds. We like to watch them search for worms in the field across the street after a rain storm.

    The bird with the leaf in its beak is a great pic, and that owl! Oh, that silly owl, that had me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the owl photos! The one that is shaking off the snow, the one that is so well camoflauged in the trunk, and all the burrorwing owls...so many good ones! I took a photo of a very large owl recently, but dang it, it was so high up in that tree, I just couldn not get a good picture! xx

      Delete
  10. Can (or would) anyone say they are NOT for the birds?
    Indian Rocks beach - that is where I was stung by a stingray (not his fault) during the one and only US holiday I have had in my life so far! Regardless of that "stinging" memory, I remember the place as wonderfully serene and spotlessly clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness! Even if we never meet, I like to think that we once walked on the same beach in Florida! Isn't that a nice thing! Ouch, sorry you got stung there though, that could not have been pleasant! It is a gorgeous spot!

      Delete
  11. I am definitely for the birds too! They are wonderful to watch and great entertainment. Hope you do get your lakes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another one for the birds, I knew you would be though. x
      And when we get the lakes again, I will be sure to show you!

      Delete
  12. Oh i loved this wonderful poem my friend!

    thank you for such wonderful link where photos were breathtaking!
    Loved this soothing shot by you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So good to see your comment here! Take care.

      Delete
  13. There's been a lot about birds in the news recently and although most folk love birds but dislike insects the two are intertwined so we need loads of thriving insects to have thriving birds. Feed a bed bug and help the food chain is my new motto :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to have more natural gardens so the insects are there for our birds!
      I don't know if you come back to see this reply but I truly loved your post about Edinburgh and the cities that are built on 7 hills!

      Delete
  14. Thank you Kay,
    Three more on Edinburgh's hills to come hopefully. The Festival/ Fringe is on there at the moment so it will be jam packed with tourists. Edinburgh came 3rd in recent UK's most loved cities poll after York and Bath. All historic places with fine period buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me, I will be sure to look out for them. I hope to see Edinburgh one day but if I don't, I will enjoy it from your blog. Many thanks.

      Delete
  15. I hope to see Bath and York too!

    ReplyDelete