Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Vietnam



Very often I will read something on the BBC that I find very moving and I want to share it with you.
Recently, there was a story of an American man who had fathered a son in Vietnam and of his efforts to find him.  It was a sad story but one that I hope will have a happy ending for all involved.  I hope that you will read the story, I have a link to it here.

 Pearl S. Buck was an American author who won a Pulitzer Prize for her novel, "The Good Earth".  She founded Welcome House, the first international, inter-racial adoption agency. (And I knew of Pearl Buck's work with this, but I just read that James Michener and Oscar Hammerstein and his wife, Dorothy were also involved in the founding of this agency.  I am glad to know this since I love the books of James Michener and the wonderful lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein.)This developed further into Pearl S. Buck International.  Long before it was considered fashionable or politically safe to do so, Buck challenged the American public by raising consciousness on topics such as racism, sex discrimination and the plight of the thousands of babies born to Asian women left behind and unwanted wherever American soldiers were based in Asia. During her life Buck combined the multiple careers of wife, mother, author, editor and political activist. (Wikipedia)
Pearl S. Buck is one woman that I truly admire.

 We have a Veteran's Memorial Park right here in Rockdale County called "The Walk of Heroes" and the idea came from a World War II vet who wanted to honor the veterans of Vietnam since he felt that they did not get the respect that they deserved.  (The Memorial is for ALL veterans, but the idea began with wanting to honor Vietnam vets.) Just recently, this World War II veteran was awarded the French Legion of Honor for his time in France during the liberation!  His name is Bud Sosebee and you may read about him from our local newspaper, The Rockdale Citizen, just here. (I am pleased to tell you that I have met Mr. Sosebee several times and he is just as charming and interesting as he comes across in this article.)

I have written about the book "Love And Duty" by Ben and Anne Purcell.  Col. Purcell was imprisoned in Vietnam for 5 1/2 years and his wife was left to rear five children, while working hard to make the US government understand the plight of those imprisoned in Vietnam.  Col. Purcell died last year.  I am glad that I was able to meet him and shake his hand. It was an honor.



 

18 comments:

  1. There are many wonderful, though heartbreaking stories around...and it's wonderful that we learn of them...stories about inspirational people who should never been forgotten; whose stories must be told; passed through from generation to generation...only by doing so perhaps this world eventually will become a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that more should be known of the good things that people have done. Perhaps they could be emulated, that would be nice.

      Delete
  2. These are such amazing people. I'm always awed by the strength and determination of people who work so hard to make this world a better place. Thank you for shining some light on them, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw this piece about a man trying to find his son in Vietnam, I instantly thought of Pearl S. Buck. I wonder how many people even know of her today.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about Pearl Buck and Welcome House or of the other famous people involved. Now I've learned my something new today. There is always more to learn, It's good people take the time out to tell their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Peal S. Buck sounds like our kind of gal, doesn't she? LOOKING ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!!

      Delete
  4. I've read all of Pearl Buck's books and about her work, thank you for telling others of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never forgotten reading "The Good Earth". That is one novel that is worth reading.
      I just read that she wrote a book about her daughter and the foreword is by James Michener. They must have great friends. I am glad since I have always liked him too.

      Delete
  5. There will never be enough Memorial Days to honor the people who have given so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad there is more tolerance for all races, though there are still some people who judge people on the color of their skin.
    As for the Vietnam War, it is too bad it started. After all, the USA is now on good terms with Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work with a man who came here from Vietnam at the age of 10. His father had fought with the Americans against North Vietnam and had been held as a prisoner for several years. For me, it gives a whole new meaning to "Love and Freedom", the words that Col. Purcell wrote in his book.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! The resemblance of Jerry as a young man and his son is so strong! That story really makes you think.
    I too admire Pearl S Buck,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to watch that on the BBC. I thought that was one of the most moving things I have seen in a long time. And like you, I was struck by the resemblance!
      Yes, I am glad that you like Pearl S. Buck too!

      Delete
  8. You always find the most interesting stories Kay.

    Thank your for including the story on Mr. Sosebee. It is interesting how one period in our lives can shape everything else thereafter. He has been quite an inspiration in everything he has done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I really should a post about Mr. Sosebee alone, he deserves it! (You might see how my mind kind of wanders along on its little path, and I appreciate you taking the time to pay attention to all that I write!)

      Delete
  9. So many sad stories from Vietnam. I hope a happy one will come from this reuniting.
    I admire Pearl S. Buck's work, all of it. Her memoirs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have only read "The Good Earth". Now, I know I need to read more of her work!
      Thanks very much for your comment!

      Delete