Tuesday, October 22, 2024

October Update (One Way or Another)

 



The kids in Rockdale County finally went back to school yesterday after having been out of school for three weeks due to the BioLab disaster. (They are meant to have had virtual learning at home, and I do hope that they were able to do some kind of learning!) It has been a time of stress.  For over a week after the huge toxic cloud, we were told to "shelter in place" and not to open any doors or windows. Then, we were told it was okay to go out but if you saw a giant cloud come over you, to go back inside!   And then, for a time we were told that it was okay to go out but to shelter in place between 7PM and 7AM.  (Because as some funny person said online, toxic air has a curfew!)  I have asthma and I usually don't have any problems with it but for the past few weeks, I have used my inhaler quite a bit. I hate to think of those who are suffering from much more serious lung problems than mine. There is a push now for Biolab to be shut down permanently and you all must know that I agree with that.  During these past few weeks there have been meetings with government officials.  One was shown as a live stream from downtown Atlanta with our state representatives listening to powerful speeches from those who were closest to the BioLab facility.  One of those who spoke gave such an impassioned speech about the dangers of BioLab!  I am sorry to tell you that just after his talk, he walked outside where he collapsed in the hallway.  He later died at Grady Hospital in Atlanta.  His name was Kenny Johnson, and he was the Rockdale County Soil and Water Supervisor. A hero, if you ask me.

We are told that the EPA checked the air on a regular basis and also that the water was checked three times daily and that we should not be concerned.  (What about the vegetables that people have in their gardens, are they okay to eat, or should we be worried of the toxic chemicals that might have settled upon them? For that matter, what about the soil for future gardens?)  We are in hopes that the Good Earth (with its precious air over it) will try very hard to recover.  





Millions have voted early in the USA.  There is a young woman who paints seasonal pictures on the windows in Old Town Conyers and I love the Peanuts characters telling people to vote!  












I am sure that you heard the news that Liam Payne died in South America. Such sad news- it seems it is all we get these days. Even though he was a solo artist, I remember him as being one of those very young men from "One Direction".  I had a video on my blog of them doing a video for charity and I really liked it, so I am sharing it again with you here...




My friends, I do hope that you are all doing well.  We are hanging in there! Take care and look out for each other.  My best to you always.  x




1 comment:

  1. Still so many questions unanswered or unknown in the wake of the BioLab fire. I hope you get reliable answers soon. Sorry to hear about Kenny Johnson's death, very tragic for his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete