Saturday, August 31, 2024

La Seine Musicale /Cardboard Houses

 









La Seine Musicale (On MY TV!) Imagine how lovely this would be at night!


It seems like ages since the Olympics in Paris, doesn't it?  I still have fond memories of watching the events and then, pausing with the remote and researching the buildings in the background. During the Marathon, I had a full 26 miles and 385 yards in which to see the surrounding area around Paris! Why is the Marathon that unusual length? It is due to the 1908 Olympics that were held in London. 26 miles was agreed upon- the distance from Windsor Castle to White City Stadium but the 385 yards was for the last lap in the stadium so as for the athletes to finish in front of the Royal Box! Hey, the runners might not wish for that extra bit now but all the more for me to see Paris is fine by me.

The building that I have shown you above - I was truly intrigued by it. The description that I found of it is this: "A unique egg-shaped structure with a sail-like solar panel". It is a music venue! Located in the western suburbs of Paris, it opened in 2017. (The first artist to perform there was Bob Dylan!) The architect is Japanese named Shigeru Ban. In 2014, he was given the Pritzker Architecture Prize, not only for his modern buildings but also for his humanitarian efforts.  He is well known for his work with recycled cardboard tubes which can quickly be made into homes for disaster victims. The nominating committee called him "an inspiration."

 Look, let me see if I have a video to show you....



I wish I could find the video that I found of Shigeru Ban helping to build the houses in Maui- I think it was after the horrible fire.  The buildings had ...I think holes in the roofs that the builders could go in and out of as they were building, and then afterwards, they were used for light.  There, that might be a strange description, but it was very clever, and they were not only functional but very attractive.



I first heard this version of "Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole in the film "50 First Dates".  I have shared it with you before, but it is always nice to hear it again! 



I truly love beautiful buildings.  Paris inspired me to decorate my little creation at Panola Mountain State Park! (No children were around, so I had these wooden blocks all to myself.)


 




20 comments:

  1. I have always loved IZ's version of "Over the Rainbow" too! I have fond memories of hearing it being played on the radio in Maui. He died much, much too young, tragically so and we were denied more of his musical genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Musical genius, we are tragically short of that these days.

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I hardly watched the Olympics at all apart from the wall climbing finals. Watched box sets of USA CSI instead in a deliberate and successful attempt to miss the Olympics altogether as it was on TV every hour here. So while you were glued to the streets of Paris I learned a great deal about NY, Vegas and Miami. :o) Bob. BSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I bet you know more about the streets of America than I do! I can't say that I ever have watched CSI, but I know it is hugely popular! I might watch it one day and will wonder why I never watched it!

      Delete
  3. Like Bob above me, I have not watched the Olympics apart from part of the opening ceremony, which took place while my sister and I were in Yorkshire. But I can understand how seeing so much of Paris has inspired you to research the buildings and their story.
    I remember having read about the cardboard tubes houses before, maybe on your blog :-)
    Funny that the first artist to play in that venue was not a French artist, it being the capital of France and all...

    Love the idea of you playing with the wooden blocks and decorating your creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't go past those wooden blocks and leave them all just splayed about, I must put them in order! That's my brain for you. Funny thing, I might have mentioned that architect before. Once I admire someone, that won't change, although I might not remember the name!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, and also liked the Para-Olympics opening. The French do it all with such style and the music venue shaped like an egg is similarly chic. Love your little wooden creation - I like architecture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do love your posts about art and fashion and architecture! You might not can see my little hickory nut on top and the small stones, but they are there!

      Delete
  5. I have heard IZ sing that before. It is good - but Judy Garland . . . I think Paris is beautiful, but I did not watch the Olympics. I actually have been there twice - years ago.
    Isn't there a game that has - smaller wood pieces and you build them up as high as you can. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln Logs? I think that is what they were called. I suppose after our President who was born in a log cabin. I loved anything that let me build!

      Delete
  6. Your wood sculpture is fascinating. I suppose it has been remodeled by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I suppose some kid might have destroyed it by now. Tee hee, toys are wasted on children!

      Delete
  7. I didn't see much of the Olympics only bits and pieces on the news. Paris is such a beautiful place with so much history to see. I do love history and believe we could all learn a lot from it. Hopefully you are enjoying the last days of summer. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love history too and beautiful places!! Hope your last days of summer are wonderful! x

      Delete
  8. I love that version of Over The Rainbow. IZ died way too young but I'm glad we have his voice for this song. The Olympics were on here at the Pines and I tried to catch as much as possible but I didn't watch the opening or the closing ceremonies. One of my coworkers went to Paris to watch the Olympics and she said the city and people were so welcoming and the area so beautiful and it was a great experience. Have a good week Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad to know that you had a friend who enjoyed Paris! I wasn't there but I was there in spirit, truly I was! Take care, Yaya! x

      Delete
  9. That version of Over the Rainbow always moves me to tears; it is so gentle and sweet and wistful, plus it was my dad's favorite.

    Thank you for the fascinating peek into one of the many amazing buildings in Paris! While we were watching the men's and women's Olympic cycling road race, I too spent a lot of time looking up buildings on the route. They rode through the courtyard of the Louvre, which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did that too, looked up the buildings you saw on TV! Also, Versailles, Grand Palais, and Hameau De La Reine. Oh, and Marnes la Coquette. Look them all up, Sue!! So glad you like that song too, how marvelous that your Father loved it. He had good taste, like you. x

      Delete
  10. I loved Paris when I was there in November 1969. I loved the Opening ceremony with Celine Dion capping the event. What a superb voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't her performance wonderful? Formidable! (Say that with French accent!) Ah, Paris...I love it without ever seeing it. I guess others are like me, dreaming of beautiful places. I am quite familiar with London, so I am thankful.

      Delete