Monday, March 27, 2023

The Lost King

 



"The Lost King" is the title of a new film that I want to see! 

 The film is about the discovery made by Philippa Langley who had some great interest and curiosity about the possible burial site of King Richard III and against all odds was actually able to "unearth" him in a parking lot in Leicester, England!  (I mean, not her personally digging up bones there but you get the idea, right?) It is based on her book "The King's Grave: The Search for Richard III".



‘I had goosebumps!’ – the finder of Richard III’s remains in a car park is celebrated in a Steve Coogan film | Movies | The Guardian


There, I have a link above to a review in The Guardian.  Hope you can read it! Tsk, tsk...the writer refers to Phillipia Langley as a "super-fan".   There are just some words I dislike intensely, "super-fan" being one of them.  It somehow seems a bit of a put-down to me. I wonder why that is.  Perhaps it is because if you are passionate about something our world just finds it hard to describe that great enthusiasm that some of us have even if we aren't "experts".

I also have the trailer below if you want to watch it.  It is three minutes long and I must admit, I don't always want to watch the trailers.  It can sometime spoil it for you! (It does for me anyway.)



I am sure that I wrote about this on my blog before and wished that someone would make a film about it.  Once again, the universe has listened to me. (Okay, now I want to win the lottery!! Are you listening to me, universe? LOL.)  HEY! I just found my post, it was from February of 2013!  Want to read it?  You can at link below!

Georgia Girl With An English Heart: Richard III


 Philippa Langley is of the firm belief that Richard III was NOT the villain that Shakespeare made him out to be. That his play about the king was influenced by Queen Elizabeth who was a Tudor and since he knew on which side his bread was buttered, he presented Richard III as a very bad guy.  I am wondering...and please don't anyone get their knickers in a twist about this but...what if Shakespeare DID get it right? What if Richard III did have those young princes murdered in the tower?  I don't suppose we will ever know for certain.  How can we know?  


Still, the story behind Phillippa Langley finding the bones in the parking lot is a pretty fascinating one to me.  If you read anything else about her, a large part of her instinct about where to find him had to do with a very strong "feeling". Since I also sometimes have strong feelings about certain things, this speaks to me in a very personal way.  (Haven't dug up any bones YET but hey, you never know what I might do!)

  I do hope that they have done a good job with the film.  It stars Sally Hawkins as Philippa Langley and I really like that actress!


The photo that I have here for you is on top of The Old Bailey in London.  It is called the Statue of Justice.  She is holding scales in one hand and a sword in the other and in this version from 1907, she is not blindfolded.  "Justice for King Richard III" might be the next film adaptation!  What do you think, was he a hero or a villain?












20 comments:

  1. My wife would love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it yesterday! You know I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. We're planning to visit the Tower of London. I wonder if they'll talk about this history. I don't recall them mentioning Richard lll having those two princes murdered when we went with the kids the first time. Then again, that was 30 years ago so... uuuummmm.... I'm sure I wouldn't remember anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to be visiting in London! There is SO much history, even on the best tour they won't be able to talk about all of British history, as I am sure you know! Can't wait to see your posts from London!

      Delete
  3. Have you read Sharon Kay Penman's "The Sunne in Splendor"?
    bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read it but I will put it on a list. I always have so many books to read! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. This movie looks WONDERFUL! Love the trailer. Thanks for giving me the heads up! I've read Josephine Tey's novel/analysis "The Daughter of Time" more than once and he makes a persuasive case that Richard III was not the evil villain painted by Shakespeare. However, I'm not entirely convinced that Richard didn't have his nephews murdered. After all, they were both minors (by definition a weak situation for tje Yorkists to hold onto the throne they'd fought a civil war for) and were the only thing standing between Richard and the throne. Perhaps I've seen too many episodes of "Game of Thrones" not to think Richard may have found grasping that all-important power too hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your thoughtful comment! And guess what, I DID see the film right here in Conyers, Georgia yesterday! You know I liked it.

      Delete
  5. The winners write the history books, so we may never know the whole story.

    This reminds me of two sayings. Churchill said, "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." A very wise police officer I knew said, "There are always 3 sides to the story [in a domestic dispute], his side, her side and the truth."

    Anyway, i hope the movie is good, even if the king himself may or may not have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read anything with my own thoughts about the subject. I know it is popular to believe everything you see and hear (and read) but I try to keep an open mind. And I saw the film and it is good! (It might be a bit slow for some but hey, if it is set in England, it is my kind of subject.)

      Delete
  6. I remember having read/heard about the discovery of Richard's remains, and from the trailer, I definitely want to see the film! Maybe they'll have it on Netflix or elsewhere where I can find it easily.
    By the way, during my first holiday with Steve in Scarborough, more than 20 years ago, we went for a meal at a seafront restaurant called Richard III. It was there that I had Yorkshire Pudding for the very first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what, I DID go and see the film! Yes, I did, I was surprised that they had the film at our local theater but they did and Richard and I saw it! It amused me that it was about RIchard III, and two other characters in the film were both named Richard AND I was sitting beside my own RIchard!! LOL!!
      I looked up your restaurant in Scarborough, the one called Richard III. It is still there, of course! And it is called that because it is said that he was in that building, he visited there once having something to do with naval business. There, I love knowing that!! What an ancient building!!

      Delete
  7. It's hard to believe his burial sight wasn't well known I love reading about history. Who knows just what will be yet discovered. So many mysteries never answered. Good luck on winning the lottery. Don't we all wish we could win. I have to remember to buy a ticket. I really like the picture of the flowers you have at the beginning of your post. We are still waiting for some blooms here in Ohio. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this film. We did see it yesterday!
      The photo that I have just now is a picture of our wild azaleas, you can even find them like that growing in the woods. Old folks used to call them wild honeysuckles, they are lovely. Your blooms will come soon! xx

      Delete
  8. The movie does sound interesting and I am sure it does to you. I have to be honest - I do not know my history about this as you do. I didn't know he was missing. Or that Shakespeare might be lying. I am going to have to check that movie out. Interesting to me now. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear, check it ALL out! Read up on Richard III and about how his body was uncovered in 2013! If you click on that link I gave you from my blog, I wrote about it a bit then! I love history!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a really good movie I would love! Thanks for the recommendation and all the mystery about King Richard...good or bad. I can't believe he wasn't found when they made the parking area. Guess I'll just have to watch the film to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the film yesterday and I think you would really like it!
      It is a pretty amazing story but there are no car chases or gun fights so I imagine it won't do very well at the box office. True stories are the stories that I like the most.

      Delete
  10. I loved this movie, and after seeing it I read Philippa Langley's book too. She presents all the arguments about Richard 111, and I loved reading of her quest. I hope she has success with her current quests too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the film yesterday and now, I want to read her book!
      I also want to read that book by Josephine Tey and the one by Sharon Kay Penman, there I think those authors' names are correct, I always have to look things up. I think the work by Phillipa Langley is extraordinary and should be applauded!

      Delete