Sunday, February 27, 2022

An Eye for Beauty

 

The London Eye!  You know it, of course. It was constructed for the Millennium and was completed in March of 2000.   In 1993, there was a competition to design a landmark for the millennium.  The architects, husband and wife David Marks and Julia Barfield, submitted the design for the London Eye but it was rejected by the judges. They built it anyway!

I took the photo of Richard from the other side of the Thames, showing how it looks at night all lit up. The year that we were there, it changed to different colors.  (The colors can be used to show support, just two nights ago it was lit up yellow and blue, the colors of the flag of Ukraine.)  I think that's wonderful.  From the other two photos here, I think you can see how it looks very different from other observation wheels you might have seen....

You can see that it is cantilevered or supported on only one side.


If you call it a Ferris Wheel, it won't bother me any! We use words that are familiar to us.  Just across from the London Eye is, I believe, one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen...The Houses of Parliament which includes The Elizabeth Tower, which was recently restored.  Once again, The Elizabeth Tower has been called "Big Ben" for many years and we all know that technically, that is the name of the bell inside the tower itself, but if you wish to still say "Big Ben", I will NOT send the language police to your door! Whatever you call it, it is truly lovely.  



Now, let's cross back over the equally lovely Westminster Bridge and talk about the London Eye again!  Did you know that the London Eye has 32 capsules? Each capsule or pod holds up to 25 people. You might have been on it before and remembered being inside number 33.  This might be true. They are numbered from 1-12 and then from 14-33.  There is no capsule number 13!  When I have been on it, I paid no attention to the number of the capsule, I only had eyes for the views.  It made me think of the song, "On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever).  You have time to marvel since one revolution of the wheel takes 30 minutes.



If you click  here you will see other designs from the Marks Barfield architectural firm.  There is beauty in design! David Marks died in 2017 but the beauty that he created lives on.



















15 comments:

  1. I would go on the London Eye ONLY if those capsules do not swing or move at all as the wheel rotates. Yes, I'm a wuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Millennium Bridge you have to watch out for! It's a pretty bridge but when I cross it, I tend to stay towards the middle!

      Delete
  2. Interesting how it's supported on only one side. I'd have to think about riding it, but 30 minutes seems civil. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda in Kansas! Thanks for your visit! It moves so slowly, it's just the right speed to look out at the view.

      Delete
  3. I have not been to London in such a long time, my last visit was in 2007 for my sister‘s 40th birthday. Should I make it for a proper visit again, I may get on the London Eye, but my sister will definitely not join me - she is afraid of heights, and when in October she went on the smaller wheel in Stuttgart with me, she very nearly was in complete panic mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Ludwigsburg palace is lit up blue and yellow these days, too, and there is a Ukrainian flag in front of our townhall. I am in two minds about it - does it give those poor folks any comfort, knowing we flag and light up our buildings, while they are fearing for their lives?

      Delete
    2. I am very afraid of heights too! We first rode it in 2006. My husband and son was surprised that I insisted on the London Eye. I made sure not to look straight down, instead looking at the views out, if that makes sense. That way, I enjoy it very much! And I know what you mean about countries lighting up buildings in blue and yellow for Ukraine. Still, it is a symbol of our thoughts and hopes for them. I sincerely hope it is somewhat of a comfort to them and will be a fond memory when please God, war will be over.

      Delete
    3. I worded that in a strange way. I meant that people honoring the colors of their flag would be something that the people of Ukraine could appreciate after all this is over.

      Delete
    4. I understood your meaning the first time round, Kay, don't worry.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to London, perhaps some day. Not sure I would want to go on the Big Eye. Not much a fan of heights. Agree The tower is a beautiful building. How nice they lite it up in yellow and blue. Someone must stop Putin, what a horrible monster he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read above, you will see I have a fear of heights too! If you get to London, go on the Eye. You will thank me!😊

      Delete
  5. Whoa...not a fan of heights and that looks daunting! I rode the Ferris Wheel in Chicago and that was big for me! Ha! (sorry to use the term Ferris wheel here!) But maybe if I ever go to London I would put my fears aside and enjoy the view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yaya! You could drive to Florida and stop off in Georgia and pick me up! We could ride the roller coasters at Universal Studios! Ha! I'm kidding! I'm way too old for that! But that slow moving London Eye is just right.😊

      Delete