Sunday, July 5, 2020

Do You Want To Know A Secret (I'm Happy Just To Dance With You.)


Do you enjoy a play on words? I do! My title post might seem to imply that I secretly love to dance. (Which does happen to be true, I am no good at it but does that stop me? NEVER!)  No, no...what I am really trying to tell you is that George Harrison sang the lead on those two Lennon/McCartney songs.  Those two and those two only! (Wait, you are thinking...what about "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun" and "If I Needed Someone" and I am sure you can name others, but those were written by George Harrison, you see.)
So...if you are ever in a situation and are asked what are the two Lennon/McCartney songs where George Harrison sang the lead...the answer is : "Do You Want To Know A Secret" and "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You.".  

If you ever win any money or prizes with this, you can just thank me. You don't have to name any of your children after me, but my name is KAY!  (And if you have a boy, GEORGE would be nice.)

And Richard and I watched the film "Hard Day's Night" recently. Did we enjoy it? YEAH YEAH YEAH!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Whew, how are you all doing?  Everybody getting along okay? Trying not to get too stressed out? Good luck with that! Remember I told you that I thought we should all be wearing masks?( I watch too many films, I know but I feel just like that character from "Independence Day"...you know the one who everyone thought was nuts but he KEPT saying that there were aliens!) Upsetting to me to see the news and see everyone acting as if the virus is over and not wearing masks and just PACKING themselves onto beaches and bars.  Another film comes to mind, "Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?".

We need some more music, I think...Take care everyone, we will get through these rough times. We just need to try our best and be sensible.  Respect all but be a good example!
You must know and I might have told you in a post before but John Lennon got the words for the song "Do You Want To Know A Secret" from the Disney film "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".  Just before she sang the song "I'm Wishing", she giggled and said, "Do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell?"  Songwriters get their ideas from everywhere! 





Look, I can't go to England just now so I am going back to October 2019 and you can see me in Russell Square in Bloomsbury, London in my grey jacket.  Hope to be able to walk there again soon.  I'm wishing!

20 comments:

  1. Both of those are great songs. I especially like Do You Want To Know A Secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you know that clip I gave you from the Snow White film, it is amazing. That bit where the camera looks as if it is inside the well with water over it, that was all animation, and it was Disney's first film. Genius.

      Delete
  2. Same here, Kay; so many are acting as if there is no coronavirus around anymore, even while at the same time we are told of hotspots and mass outbreaks almost every evening on the main TV news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at the attitude from some people. Amazed, saddened and quite frankly, irritated! Honestly, I might not be the brightest in the world but when there is a pandemic I think we should all be on the same page!

      Delete
  3. As always I learn something new from you every time I read your posts. I'm keeping cool in the house right now with the air conditioning on. Ohio is experiencing a heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I grew up in Georgia and back in the day, we never had any air conditioning. Not quite sure how we made it, I sure appreciate it now!

      Delete
  4. Just told my Sweetie, the Beatles fan extraordinaire, and he had no idea where the song inspiration was from. Excellent trivia, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I am so happy that you told me that! Your sweetie has good taste if he loves the Beatles. But then, he married you, so we knew that already! Take care in Louisiana and wear a mask if you have to be around others!

      Delete
  5. "Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?". I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to Covid-19 the average IQ of some people is rounds about 10 (I'm being generous - I'm like that). I used to stay at The Russel Hotel or was it the Hotel Russel (there were both and I can never recall at which I stayed). That was many years ago (over 50 actually).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Graham, how I would love to stay at the Russell Hotel, I am sure that is the one that is so lovely, it is over 100 years old! That one is just down from the one where we stay and when we walk past it, I admire it so much! And also, if you stayed there, then you must have walked past that fountain which is right in the middle of Russell Square, so I have walked in your footsteps! We like the Bloomsbury area. Wish I was there right this second!

      Delete
  6. That song takes me back to an night being walked home from a Gympie dance by a young man visiting from Maryborough (the town from where P.L. Travers, the author of "Mary Poppins" came from.

    My now late ex-husband was a huge fan of The Beatles. He and I saw McCartney & Wings live in concert back in the late 70s. It was a great concert. Denny Laine, ex Moody Blues was a member of Wings then...and Linda was on keyboards and back-up vocals.
    This documentary I am sure you would like, Kay...it's streaming on Netflix....https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10655608/

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about the documentary, I will check it out! My sister and I saw Paul McCartney & Wings in the 70's with Denny Laine & Linda on the keyboard! We saw them in ATlanta, and they were GREAT. Take care in Australia! I have read that you might have to go into another lockdown. If so, hunker down and stay safe! xx

      Delete
  7. I'm still not going anywhere except rarely to see one of my daughters and we still keep our distance and wear masks when possible....Fun with those songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun with songs...I should have another blog and JUST talk about songwriting! Never knew how much I thought of music and lyrics until I had my blog! Stay safe. x

      Delete
  8. I just watched "A Hard Days Night" too. I love that silly movie and the innocence of that time. I remember seeing the Beatles live in Chicago when I was 11 and those screaming girls reminded me that I was one of them once! Ha! Thanks for the uplift today and yes, we will be wearing masks for a long time. I've worn them for almost 50yrs in my surgical career and they don't bother me at all! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw the Beatles but I would have loved to have seen them. My sister and I did have the Beatles dolls, you know, with ones with the bobbing heads that are worth a good deal of money now? Our mother left them behind when we moved. Oh well, nothing can ever take away my love for the Beatles! Stay safe, my friend.

      Delete
  9. One day this will all be a distant memory. Sadly the world will never be the same again and I think masks will be with us for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for the day when we are told the virus rates are going DOWN. Hasn't happened yet, just the opposite. AND when we are told there is a vaccine, I hope we have dancing in the streets.

      Delete
  10. Ha - huge Beatles fan. Kay - if you haven't done the Beatles thing in Liverpool, you should. Let me know if you need any tips for an itinerary. "Do You Want To Know A Secret" - the band I was in used to do this and it invariably brought the house down (take that whatever way you like!). Hope you're all well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Liverpool! The furthest north I have been in England is the London Zoo! Would love to go, of course!
      Oh, how I would have loved to have heard your band play, "Do You Want To Know A Secret"!!
      I bet you guys were great and had all the women falling all over you, I am sure. :-)
      Hope you are well and keeping your distance and wearing a mask!

      Delete