Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Now, Now, Now.





When I wrote my last post, I didn't notice until the next day that I written the word "now" several times. (I had a bit of trouble sleeping that night so I finished that post about 3:30 AM.) The next day I meant to go back and try to delete some of them but I got to thinking about that word..."now"....

Do you remember this... or am I the only one...but when you were a kid and your train of thought was going to a more cynical view that an adult would say, "now, now, now". They would not say anymore  but just leave it at that, just those three words?

Do you notice that folks will say "at the present time"?  The first time I heard that at work, I wanted to say..."Do you mean 'now'?"
(I didn't  but trust me, I had to bite my tongue not to do so.)

When I first learned to type, we had to type this one sentence, over and over.  "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."  Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, they might have added women to that sentence later, but this is what we typed back in the day, when we only had typewriters and we had no idea about keyboards on computers!

There is a beautiful hymn that is called "Now The Silence, Now The Peace" by Jaroslav Vajda.  I thought of this too.  The hymnwriter wrote the word "now", sixteen times in that song.  The hymn is about taking holy Communion and he wanted to emphasize that this was not something that had only happened long ago but was happening NOW.  (I found the hymn for you on YouTube. I hope you like it as much as I do.)

I meant to tell you in my last post that Neil Armstrong and the Wright Brothers were all from Ohio.  Looking up this hymnwriter, even though you might not think so from his name, Jaroslav Vajda is also from the state of Ohio. (His father was a Lutheran pastor of Slavic descent.)  He didn't write his first hymn until the age of 49 but then he wrote over 200 original and translated hymns that are in 65 hymnals around the world.  Jaroslav Vajda died at the age of 89 in 2008.

I wonder what he thought when he heard that Buzz Aldrin had taken bread and wine on the Apollo 11 mission for a communion service.  (No one knew about this at the time...you may read more about that just  here. )


I am wishing you all peace and beauty...now.







13 comments:

  1. I happen to like the word NOW. It certainly beats later. The butterflies are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I now live in Ohio where previously I was an Illini..is that how you say that? Anyway, it's a pretty nice state and has many famous folks too..not just me! Ha! Thanks for featuring some here and I also think it's pretty cool that you have pioneer (Mormon) stock in your roots! Jack and I joined the church 43yrs ago and we're the only members in our family. I guess that makes us the pioneers for these days! Anyway, have a good rest of the week and I love your butterfly photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting to know that all the astronauts back then were firm Christian believers, some more than others (John Glenn, for instance)? People often think of these men as very level-headed, scientifically minded guys, and they were - otherwise, they would not have made it through the selection program. But they also saw the miracle and wonder of the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I remember in Typing class, typing those words over and over. Love your photo's. Have a great day, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typing class the quick brown fox and I don't remember the rest.
    interesting post.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget - The quick brown fox ...... Pretty butterflies. Interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh mercy!!!!

    -gigggles-

    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

    I remember that!!!! I graduated HS in 1954, so you can see, that is what we used! -clapping hands-

    Annnnnd!!!! How blatantly stupid it is... All this "getting knickers in a twist"..... Over the word MEN. Over not including WOMEN. Over all this ridiculous P.C. nonsense!

    Oh it "drives me up a wall." All these terribly *sensitive* women! All these terribly *sensitive* people! Get a grip!!!!!!! Laughing Out Loud!




    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. The best people come from Ohio, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now! Now! I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot too difficult getting them on or off when they're in a knot)...not now, not previously, nor in the future. I'm not a gender-neutral member of the politically-correct brigade...not now...and not later, not previously, either.

    Now, listen here young lady...I shall refer to you as a female...a lady...a woman...because that is what you are...now, and for always...past, present, and future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great people from Ohio! Lots of presidents, too. The hymn writer was from quite near where I grew up, but I did not know him. Now I'll be trying to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, how many times did we type that over and over. Love your thoughts and your photos (at the present time, of course!). The PC police have gone nuts! Oh yes, I do believe I read today that it is National Nut Day! There are plenty of them out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do remember people saying 'Now now', and yes times and use of words change. 'There there' were words of consolation - perhaps less so now, and what about 'Ought'. Now there's a word you don't often here these days. My parents were big on the 'oughts' of life, which translated into disapproval from them if you ignored their opinion! I have had a great time remembering the moon landing and currently reading 'First Man' about Armstrong. I had forgotten about the Communion, but that was a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, isn't it interesting where the threads lead? Our cathedral at Lichfield held a special Communion service at 9.17pm on 20th July to commemorate Buzz Aldrin's Communion exactly fifty years earlier (9.17pm was the UK time the Eagle landed).

    ReplyDelete