Sunday, June 17, 2012

The JOY of Friends!


One of my husband's friends from school is Henry (and I like to think that he is my friend too!)  and you might see his comments here on my blog sometimes.   Henry and Sarah are vegetarians and they invited us to the most delicious lunch ever. Each and every single food item here had such a wonderful taste!  Tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, lettuce, radishes and those boiled potatoes!  Richard couldn't have the bread and butter, but you know that I did.  Wonderful meal and so nice to enjoy this with them and also with Dave who was not only able to come for this meal, but he also brought Richard some gluten free sausages.  Brave man to bring meat to the home of vegetarians! Thanks, Dave, we were able to take them with us and they were delicious. (You know I had mine with some HP sauce!)

Another longstanding friend from school, Dave, let us know that the coach of the England Football team is from Croydon and went to John Ruskin School.  All three of these guys also are from Croydon and went to John Ruskin!
That is Henry on the left, Dave in the middle and of course, Richard on the right! This photo was taken at the pub at Beachy Head and the very next day we went to Henry's home and had that great lunch that I talked about above. 







 The above photos are of Sarah and Henry and their lovely home.  Not only does the house look like it has a face, but the door does too!   They have a beautiful garden, but it was raining very hard the day that we were there.  It was a pity since we would have loved to have been outside in it.  The sun came out just as we were leaving...typical!  (I was very impressed by the topiary...thought I was in Disneyworld!) Thanks, Henry and Sarah! And Poppy and Bear!
Now, what a great day so far...but it's not over yet.  Sarah and Henry then drive us to Henry's parents for tea.   Joy and Henry had a beautiful table prepared for us with the most beautiful china.  They celebrated their Diamond Anniversary two years ago and did you know that the Queen sends a letter to those celebrating their Diamond, and she PERSONALLY signs the card herself!   Sends it by a special messenger all dressed up in a uniform?  I love the Queen for doing this!  She also does this for those celebrating their 100th birthday! http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/Queenandanniversarymessages/Anniversarymessages.aspx
There is the link if anyone reading this in England is interested.  You must download a form and send it in at least 21 days prior to the date.  I wonder how many people think that she automatically does this? Apparently in 2000, she sent a 100th birthday greeting to her mother, The Queen Mother...I wonder if someone had to send in the on-line form for her?  (Ha, ha, Queen, just kidding, you know I love you, besides, I am American, I can get away with this.) 

   And I took a photo of Joy and Henry's wedding photo, but there was such a reflection from the glass, but you can see that it is them, can't you?  (The church is St. Mary Magdalene in Addiscombe, which is part of Croydon, and it is the church where Richard's parents were married and where Richard was christened.)  What a delightful time we enjoyed with them, they were just sorry we didn't have our son with us.  Laughing and talking and enjoying the company...Thanks, Joy and Henry for the wonderful tea that we enjoyed with you. Those strawberries were to die for!


Joy and Henry have a lovely home with a beautiful garden.  You know that I had to have my photo made in front of this green door.  (That color! Wow!) Can you tell from our smiles what a great time we were having?  JOY!  What a wonderful word and how nice to know someone with that name.  Thanks Joy and Henry, you are diamonds to us!

30 comments:

  1. Yes, meeting friends and family when one travels is even better than "just travelling"! Glad you had such a great time, and that the sun did indeed come out :-)
    Those topiaries are so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The sun would come out when we had to be in a car or train! Such is life, but you have to make the best of things!

      Delete
  2. How marvellous, a Diamond Wedding Anniversary. That is a lovely picture of them holding their card. The lilies and roses are stunning. The topiary at Sarah and Henry's house is brilliant, and I love that wisteria growing up the front of their house. Obviously, I can tell they are fine people, being vegetarians!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! I hope the Queen sends you a card one day for YOUR DIAMOND!!
      Vegetarians are great, one of my good friends in the USA is a vegetarian too!

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, everyone looks so happy! That topiary is wonderful. A Diamond Anniversary - that deserves a card from the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my rule...only happy people allowed in my photos! Hope you will get a card from the Queen one day, that will be a wonderful post from Sulky Kitten!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely time, Kay. These are all very special people. A diamond anniversary! That is so sweet. Sarah and Henry have a beautiful home, and those topiaries are amazing. And I just love that image with the roses and lilies. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      They ARE very special. And the gardens reflect the careful attention and love that these folks give to everything! You should know! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, gorgeous photos and nice friends. I loved the wedding photo!
    A beautiful post!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dorothy,
      Thank you! I knew you would love that wedding photo!

      Delete
  6. How special to have friends on both sides of the world! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi,
      Guess what, I think I took most of these photos! That is a surprise! :-)

      Delete
  7. Ahhh - the joy of great friends you can be yourself with :) Those climbing roses are incredible - and the topiary, which I noticed immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Jane, what do you think of the house with the face and even the door with a face...I know you must have seen that too! Roses in England, don't even get me started, they are incredible!

      Delete
  8. Where to start? So much to comment on. First, I'm so happy to hear there are other vegetarians in the world. I know that sounds silly but I often feel that I am the only one. Their lunch looks so yummy!!! Second, I had no idea about the Queen's card for Diamond Anniversaries. That's so special. Also, I love that Union Jack bunting on someone's house, those topiaries (amazing!) and that green door (don't blame you at all for taking your photo there!). I just love hearing about your awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audrey,
      Those vegetables! They were just so different, so very, very good! It was as if I had never had a vegetable before! (And one of my best friends in Georgia is a vegetarian too!) There were some Union Jack buntings but not as many as I thought there would be for the Jubilee, but Henry and Joy made sure they had one on their house!
      I KNEW you would love that color green!!

      Delete
  9. Friends are indeed a source of joy! The photos you've shared starkly shows how blessed you and your husband are for having great friends through the years. God bless you more! ♪( ´θ`)ノ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I LOVED you flying high above with the birds, your last post was so beautiful. God bless you always!

      Delete
  10. Oh Kay: what can I say?

    We really,really enjoyed your visit. And,yes, you are very much our friend and always will be.The weather was not kind during your visit and yet we still had a high old time.Your visit was a fillip for Joy and Henry who always look forward to seeing,and hearing from, you.

    I became a vegetarian at the age of 9 and didn't meet another till I was 28! And she was a veggie due to her religion rather than individual choice. In the 60s here, it was quite common if you asked for 'a cheeseburger without the burger' to be presented with the full burger. Then the waiter would come to the table, remove the meat in front of you and charge you full price!

    I might be biased but Joy and Henry are a special couple. They have been through a lot in their lives yet always remained cheerful and positive and happy to do far more than 'their bit'. I think I am right in saying that, because money was so tight when they married, they spent the morning of their wedding day doing their own catering - making sandwiches etc.

    So pleased that you enjoyed your visit, that it coincided with the Diamond Jubilee and that you have so many good - and photographic - memories of it.

    We look forward to keeping up with your blogs and seeing all 3 of you next April.

    Henry Lord Snuffy, the Gorgeous Sarah and Poppy and Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Henry,
      I hope in my simple writing style I was able to convey the JOY of the day! I didn't know that your parents spent the morning of their wedding day making sandwiches but it doesn't surprise me. What a wonderful pair! Let me know if they see this post! Give them our love.
      We had a great time with the Diamond Jubilee events and we couldn't let a little rain dampen our spirits!
      Our love to two smokin' vegetarians and their dogs!

      Delete
  11. That topiary is really amazing. I would love to see it in real life and have a close look. I'm s sucker for topiary.
    I'm glad you had such a good time despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny,
      Isn't it beautiful? I love how it makes such a statement in that corner beside their drive. Can you tell that one is an elephant? I confess I forgot what the rest of them were!
      Hey, I am like those singers on the Thames, keep singing even in the rain!

      Delete
  12. Hi Georgia Girl, Burwash Bloke here - I've finally worked out how to sign in (well, if Henry can do it....)

    Glad you liked the sausages, and I'll look forward to your next visit when the famous G/F pizza will be revealed!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Burwash Bloke!
      Sounds like you have the name for yourself for your own blog!
      I'm looking forward to the GF pizza. :-)
      Take care! And don't be a stranger and visit my blog again!

      Delete
  13. Morning K

    The folks are so excited at the thought of being on the web. I have fed them tidbits from your blog but they will not see the whole thing until tomorrow when we go over to cut their grass and hedge. Sair does the former and I the latter.

    They will be 'tickled pink'. The question is: will Joy put your posts in one of her famous albums or will she buy a new showcase for them? A number of their friends have already been directed to your site!

    It really was a great visit and we all have such happy memories.

    Although not so today, the weather here has been beautiful this week.I took a few snaps of the garden so that you can see what it looks like when not shrouded in mist and merk. It goes without saying that it will be Sair who sends them!

    Joy and Henry send their love to you all and say they want to see Christopher next time.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Henry,
      Oh, I am hopeful that they will like this post about them! I love the thought of this going into one of Joy's famous albums!
      Hope you enjoy your long days of summer. Thanks for sending me this comment! Take care!

      Delete
  14. I think that Diamond Anniversary from the Queen must be just for this year - her Diamond Jubilee year because my Mum and Dad didn't hase it bwhen they celebrated theirs in 1999. Sadly neither of them quite reached the hundred either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sciptor,
      From the official website of the Queen, it appears that she sends them to those celebrating the 60th and the 65th wedding anniversary and every year thereafter. The trick to it is that one must go on-line and download a form and send it in 21 days prior to the anniversary. Joy & Henry had their 60th two years ago. Three more years and they can get another card from the Queen!
      (And it said on birthdays, 100th and 105th...and every year thereafter!)

      Delete
  15. Dear Kay and Rick

    We are at Sarah and Henry's for the day and have just viewed your blog. It is wonderful; you have really done us proud. The photograph of us with the card from the Queen is one of the best ever taken.When we married in a side-street church some 62 years ago, we never dreamt that our wedding photo would be seen all over the world! It is fantastic.

    W have bought a special book for the blog and comments.

    You 2 packed a lot into your time here. We were so pleased to see you and catch up with your news. It is always good to see old friends and we really,really enjoyed the visit. We missed Christopher,of course, and look forward to seeing him next time.

    And many thanks for the lovely anniversary card which arrived in good time and was so special.

    Henry was right to say that I (Joy) made the sandwiches etc for our reception while I (Henry) set up the hall and barrels of beer with my soon-to-be father-in-law. The 4 piece jazz band, 'The Fords', came from the next road and cost the princely sum of £4.50.

    Again, our thanks and wishing you all the best for the future,

    Joy and Henry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy & Henry,
      Sharing the joy all over the world!!!
      So very pleased that you liked the post. There is always more I want to say. I should have taken photos of your lovely table with the food and tea but I was too busy eating and drinking!
      Still, I hope I conveyed what a wonderful time we had with you and I truly think you can see that from our photo in front of the green doors!
      I love that you have given me the details of all that you did yourself for your wedding reception. With those barrels of beer, I'll just bet it was a barrel of fun!

      Tickled that you will make an album from this!
      Must stop my comment here, I am running out of exclamation marks!
      Take care!
      With Love from Kay & Richard.

      Delete