Saturday, May 26, 2012

Easy Peanut Butter Cookies-Gluten Free!



MMMMM....these smell so good! And they taste good too!  If you have an allergy to peanuts, DO NOT make these.  My husband has celiac disease and he cannot have wheat flour, oats, barley or rye.   He CAN have peanuts and he DOES have them!  This recipe was from a Southern Living cookbook from 1983 and they are called MIRACLE COOKIES, since there is not one bit of flour in them.   Here's the recipe, it's easy and I hope you will try it.  (Meike from www.librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com  has already made them, and I think they were a hit in Germany!)


MIRACLE COOKIES (Peanut butter):

1 cup peanut butter  (I use the crunchy kind)
1 cup sugar   (I use 3/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar)
1 egg 
1 teaspoon vanilla   (If you have it, if not it's okay to omit)
1/2 cup chocolate chips  (You could leave this out too!)
(optional:  some nuts lightly pressed into each cookie, I used pecans, and these few pecans just made them extra special, in my humble opinion!)

That's it!  I just use a fork, I mix the peanut butter and sugar together well,  then I add the egg & vanilla, mixing, mixing, mixing with the fork.  Then, I just work my chocolate chips into the mixture.   I roll them into balls and put them on a cookie sheet (NO NEED TO OIL THE PAN!!)  Then, you take a fork and press down one side, and then again to make a criss-cross pattern on the top.  At this point, you may sprinkle some nuts on the top. Makes about 2 dozen.
Bake at 350 degrees  for about 11-16 minutes.  WATCH them though!  Now, take them out of the oven and DON'T touch them!  They need to sit at least 15 minutes or so, but hey, go and do something else and just enjoy that you have made your house smell so darn good!! (You need to get a spatula and gently lift them off the tray, put into a wax paper lined tin and they will keep for...I don't know, they don't last that long in my house!, but should be good for at least 5 or 6 days.)  These are GLUTEN FREE but honestly, I have made these for years and everyone seems to love them. But NOT IF YOU HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY, very important to note this!

I have always thought that my friend, Meike's name was pronounced "MIKEY" and even though it is not pronounced that way, it reminded me of the old Life cereal TV ad which I had to find for you!  At the beginning it has the OSCAR MAYER kid for some reason.   Hope you enjoy the cookies and the cute boys from the 70's!  Thank you, MEIKE, for making these cookies!

20 comments:

  1. No flour! I think even I could make these. Might have a go later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John!
      Let me know if you make them. I love easy recipes, since I am ...ahem..not that good a cook OR Baker!

      Delete
  2. These look so yummy and peanut butter is my very favorite kind of cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      If you like peanut butter, you should love these!
      And I hope you have gone on some good walks lately!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kay, thanks for the visit to our blog and so glad I stopped in here because we LOVE peanut butter, so these cookies will be tried as soon as we are back home

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks for YOUR visit! I love the thought of this peanut butter love going all over the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, i think i've seen a no bake version of something similar that you roll into balls and roll in powdered sugar, i'll see if i can find it.

    These i may make for a church supper, there's always someone around who needs gluten free options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mimi,
    My husband has had to be on gluten free diet since he was two years old! He had a very hard time when we first married in 1983, not too many people had heard of it then ( in the USA, I mean). Now, it seems to be "trendy" which is fine as it goes, but not when someone has to be very serious about it! (You may go back and see my Gluten Free Talk post!)
    If you try them, let me know! Would love to know your no-bake version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for mentioning my blog again, Kay :-)
    And hey, what's the "EVEN Meike likes them" for? I am a cookie monster and like almost all cookies :-D
    You got the first syllable of my name pronounced right - it's just the "-ey" bit at the end that's not quite it, but never mind, you can call me Meks if you prefer that.
    I do have time today and nothing planned yet... maybe I'll make these again, and this time, I won't start doing anything else while they are in the oven ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meike,
      I KNEW you would say how much you loved cookies! No, I hope you don't mind me using your name since it went along with that TV ad, that anyone here that was alive in 70's would know what I meant! I do like my little play on words, but I don't know if anyone notices!
      And I really do like to pronounce names correctly! There is a bit of joke here that people say, you can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner!
      And Meike, try these cookies with some nuts on the top, it makes for a delicious topping! Take care, Meks...but I can type Meike, since I don't have to SAY it!

      Delete
  8. These look amazing, Kay! No flour? Wow, that is something. I'll have to give these a try. I think my gang here will really like them. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      Hey! I think you will really like these! I know you are busy in your garden now, so thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Let me know if you make these cookies, it is one of the few things I can make with my eyes closed!
      Hope YOU are having a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  9. Mmmm. I'm busy just now but I just happen to have some spare peanut butter in the cupboard. I think they might be ready by supper time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scriptor!
    Hey! I just got home and found your comment. I hope you made these cookies and I hope you love them as much as we do. Simple and good, two of my favorite things!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember this commercial like it was yesterday. I went out with a Mike all through high school and you can imagine we (his friends) used that line many a time!

    I love peanut butter cookies and can't believe how few ingredients this recipe calls for - it sounds easy and delicious - I'm definitely going to give it a try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,
      Yes, I'll bet that MIKEY might even have gotten tired of it! HA!
      LOVE that you might make these, and it is super simple and they taste great. Let me know how they turn out for you! Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. What? No flour? I will never forget that commercial : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO FLOUR! That is what makes them gluten free, the peanut butter and chocolate make them delicious! :-)

      Delete
  13. I can smell these cookies all the way up here in Nova Scotia! M-M-M!
    Thanks for dropping by my post and it is good to meet you Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim!
      Likewise, I am sure! And I hope you make these cookies sometime. I like the idea of people making cookies all over the world! I am one of your followers now, so I will "see" you soon!

      Delete