Monday, August 31, 2026

Last of August

 



Our bird calendar for August has a photo of the Painted Bunting. (I hope to see that bird one day!) For me, that has been one of the best things about this month.  Someone said that we have been suffering from "Post Parton Depression" after Dolly Parton's passing.  It is sad, but I have been truly surprised at the outpouring of love and respect for her. I thought she might be just not quite "edgy" enough for our society, just too nice. I am pleased to be wrong.  Therefore, I feel a bit more positive about the world if there are more people with a "Dolly" mentality! Thanks to all of you for your lovely comments on my last post.

Remember me telling you that I had poison ivy? Well, it got pretty bad and I went to the doctor.  I am on steroids AND an antibiotic AND a steroid cream and for good measure, was told to take antihistamines also.  So, here is a link for you:   Poison ivy rash: Symptoms, treatment, and prevention - Harvard Health     

Poison ivy is in every state in this country except Hawaii and Alaska. (So, all across Mainland USA!)  Hopefully, I am getting better though, but I am on enough medication to make me sleepy and dizzy and sometimes (oh, just sometimes) irritable!

We have been able to enjoy a few butterflies and birds though, so that has been nice for August....


We had this little visitor that we had never seen before!  According to my research, it is a Northern Parula warbler.  Richard did a very good job getting this photo, warblers are very quick. They don't often come to feeders in back yards but as you can see, the water is very attractive.









It has been so hot. Our glass hummingbird feeder looked as if it needed to be in the shade. We can't put it under the tree, as the squirrels will knock it down. So, I found a plastic bowl and put a hook right in the middle of it, and then, hung the bowl by a string.  Can you see? Guess what, it works like a charm!  


Wait, here is another shot, it shows the glass in the shade better!



Yay! A butterfly in our garden!  It is the beautiful Gulf Fritillary. 

The common name is Elephant Foot, due to the size of the large leaves at the base of the plant. The flowers are a delicate lavender color and bees and butterflies love them.  Whenever they come up in our yard, Richard leaves them there for the pollinators.  


Wildflowers!  You know I love them!  



Oh, I love rainbows too!


When we walk at the Monastery, I like to walk past this window into the shop and see this statue.  I always say "Hang on, baby Jesus!".
It just seems right to say so. 


The quote with the calendar says, " Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark". 

Hope all of you are doing well in your part of the world. Take care!






38 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous bird, I'd like to see it too.
    I'm so sorry about the poison ivy. I've never had it but I hear it's miserable. I hope you are soon better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I really am much better now. Thank God for drugs! LOL.

      Delete
  2. I am praying for your good health.

    Thank you for visiting my Blog and leaving a wonderful comment. Please call again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for such a thoughtful post on your blog! God bless you.

      Delete
  3. It's been a long time since I've had poison ivy, but I remember it was no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is no fun at all! It is better now,thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. Such lovely pictures, Kay! Sorry about the poison ivy. I have skin allergy issues and so know a bit about dealing with those. Ick! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! Funny thing, the older I get the more SKIN I seem to have. LOL!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you had to go to the doctor for the poison ivy. I'm glad they gave you something for it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he scared me a bit to be honest. So, very glad that I went too!

      Delete
  6. I had a really bad case of the Poison Ivy a few years ago. What a pain! We have a ton of the dreaded plant and sometimes you get caught in it's vines. Hope it goes away soon for you! I always loved Dolly Parton. Her music, movies, and loving and giving nature. In this weird world let's all try and be a Dolly. Have a good rest of your week and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, let us all be more like Dolly! Do you know that Dolly sends out birthday greetings to each child just after midnight on their birthdays? (Those who are in the Imagination Library program). The children have their first birthday wishes from Dolly before anyone else!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kay, I am so sorry 😞 about poison ivy. The bird 🐦 is beautiful and what a gorgeous rainbow 🌈
    Lovely photos.
    I have always loved Dolly Parton as well. She will be missed 😢 💔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would love Dolly, you would of course, I can tell what you are like from your blog! Such a sweet soul. x

      Delete
  8. I think that Dolly was a great loss.
    So sorry about your poison ivy must be so uncomfortable.
    I have never seen a painted bunting either.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever do see a painted bunting, I will let out such a whoop I will probably scare it to death! My poison ivy is much better and I am so glad!

      Delete
  9. Birds, flowers, and butterflies. The colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dearly hope to get my own photo one day of that painted bunting!! The color must be amazing!

      Delete
  10. I've also got bird feeders and a pond in my garden but due to all the bushes and trees I don't see much, unlike yours. I also get pigeons, grey squirrels and cats so my feeders are tucked out of sight in awkward positions otherwise said three gluttons will get any food I leave out. Glad you are improving with the Ivy. Just watched a programme about USA forest fires and beaver valleys. Apparently after a bad fire everything else is black apart from where beavers live as the ground is so soggy and damp year round in their valley dam areas they do not catch fire. Natural fire retardant areas which saves a lot of other wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually do controlled burns in some of our parks here, it is meant to prevent the brush building up and making it harder for wildfires to spread. These wildfires this year have been brutal. God bless the fire fighters, true heroes in my book. We have such a small patio and backyard, it makes it easy to see our birds. I pity rich people with their huge mansions, no bird sightings for them except those with expensive bird cameras!

      Delete
  11. Poison Ivy is terrible! I'm sorry you have to suffer from it. All you photos are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really must be more careful when I am outside. From now on, I am touching nothing!

      Delete
  12. The Dolly love cheered me, too. I didn't hear anyone say anything nasty about her. So sorry about the poison ivy. Clever idea with the hummingbird feeder and the plastic bowl.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly love!'Yes, it really did,didn't it? We have had so much meaness in our country, it was good to see her kindness appreciated. My dear, I hope your wounds are healing, you must get lots of rest and eat healthy foods and walk on the beach in the early morning! There, I could be a doctor! Take care. xx

      Delete
  13. Bunting are pretty birds! I just came back from Tennessee. I was so impressed with all the Dolly events and memorials going on. She was a bright light and will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sherry! Thanks very much for your comment. A bright light indeed. I really equate her with Queen Elizabeth, a truly good soul.It is my belief a small band of good people are holding the world together. That band is now smaller. It does make me proud to think our little granddaughter is also a Tennessee girl. Take care.

      Delete
  14. I am so sorry about your poison ivy. My hubby had a bad case of it we weeding in our garden a few years ago. You have our sympathy. I hope yours goes away very quickly. As for Dolly, I always knew she was a super, super nice person and did so much good for the world. Everyone liked her! She was one of those earth angels with a heart big enough for everyone she came into contact with. A real head on her shoulders for business but she never got jaded. I was very happy to see the outpouring of love she got, and it's still coming. Great job on the feeder. Your birds and butterfly and rainbow photos are gorgeous. I've made a note of the Elephant Foot. I am determined to put in more pollinator plants. Your monastery photo is lovely and that's right, hang on most definitely, and you ended up with the perfect quote. Happy September to you Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Denise for your thoughtful comment. Has anyone ever told you that you are an excellent writer? Well, I'm telling you now! My poison ivy is so much better! Just hope I never get it again, I bet your hubby knows the felling

      Delete
  15. Oops, hit print before I meant to! Thanks again, Denise, you bring the light too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always envious of humming birds, we don't have them here. Here is a link for you, you will love it https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/8398548

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sweet knitted Dolly must have brought many smiles to passerby! Thanks!

      Delete
  17. Hi Kay - poison ivy is 'horrible' ... I sincerely hope it eases soon. Lovely garden to see those birds and flutterbies - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know I thought I was over it but I woke up at 4AM with itching on my other arm. Wish me luck.

      Delete
  18. Hi Kay! I love that bird. It looks like art by a child. Hard to believe it’s a product of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We have them along the coast of Georgia, I would dearly love to see one one day. Hope you are okay with the hurricane headed your way! Aloha!

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks, but it just goes to show how writers can deceive. I have mostly been trying not to scratch at my poison ivy. Not too busy at all! Thanks very much for your visit here. Please, stop here again. Best wishes from Georgia.

      Delete
    2. Yes! I knew your name seemed familiar! You were on Hilary's blog from Eastbourne, England! The little grey cells are trying their best.

      Delete