Don't let that photo of the beach fool you. I have not been anywhere NEAR a beach but hey, I can always remember the cool breeze along the seafront in Eastbourne and the sound of the waves crashing against the pebbles. I have read that folks that live in southeast England are recalling the coolness itself too, there have been record breaking temps this summer. In years past, I recall visiting and having to turn the heat on in August! It is hot this summer, in Georgia as it always is but it seems to be so just about everywhere.
I love watching TV shows and movies from the UK. One of my favorites is "Antique Road Show". The last two that I watched were from Crystal Palace Park and also from Swanage in Dorset. Both locations were so beautiful! Now, one of the objects that they showed us was an album of old letters from the 1870's. You know I had to hit the pause button and jot down a line or two....
A slight sprinkle is just moistening the face of earth as if with teardrops of silent unaffected sorrow at my departure....".
The above was written by a gentleman to his hosts after he had been with them for a visit. He ended with this: "We bear thee in most kind remembrance.". Ah, the language of long ago, isn't it nice to read that? It just so happened that I saw this on the same day that I learned that "birb" is now used for the word "bird". I am assured that it is an affectionate term much like the word "doggo" is for "dog". Well. I never! We all know that new words are added to languages all the time and that some words become obsolete and are no longer used but what is wrong with the word "bird"?
The brown thrasher is the state bird of Georgia and is a really pretty bird. It is quite large with a very long tail. In the first photo, something has happened to its tail. In the second photo, you can see one with how it normally looks.
Hey! What words or expressions were added to the English language when you were born? Do you know? Here is a fun site for you - Time Traveler by Merriam-Webster: Search Words by First Known Use Date
There! If you click on the above you should be able to type in your birth year and it will give you a list of words that came about the year you were born. For myself, the words "disco, leaf blower and happy camper". For my son, "chat room, GMO and man up"! Let me know if you check that out!
In the English language, we say "Pardon my French" before we let out a few "choice" words! I wonder is there anything similar like this in other languages? We say it because we actually get this from England. Oh, it has a long, convoluted explanation but it boils down to some severe bad feelings between England and France. You are welcome to look it up!
Even that quaint expression, "pardon my French", makes me feel a bit wistful. I just read that at a local government meeting they are considering fining the representatives for using foul language! Tsk, tsk. (And that is ANOTHER phrase that I miss these days.)
Hope you are all doing well, my friends! I managed to have a close encounter with POISON IVY. When I discovered that I had touched it, you might think I let out some rough language of my own. Alas, it was more of a low mournful intake of breath, very animal like, I should think. I have had it before you see, so I knew what I was in for. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. (A well-worn phrase, I know but trust me, I am sincere.) It is on my left hand and arm and even though I am right-handed, you just don't know how much you use both hands. It is getting better, so if you ever need any advice about it, ask me.
Ouch, poison ivy, Kay! I hope you're improving quickly! I looked up the words for 1950, and the one that jumped out at me was "antsy." I am definitely an antsy person. 😂. Take care!
ReplyDelete"Antsy", that is a great word! There must be a much better word for you, Louise! I am thinking either "curious" or "enthusiastic" describes you! Take care yourself! x
DeleteThat is a fun site! I would never have thought that many words would come up every year. I was born in 1960 and one of the words from that year is chocoholic. That's perfect. Another was Ob-gyn. I can't believe that wasn't around before then.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the bad language. You can hardly watch a movie lately.
I'm sorry about the poison ivy!
Oh yes, movies these days with the language! Tsk, tsk indeed! Chocoholic, that is a great word!
DeletePrecipitation is making a return appearance, nourishing the parched earth, encouraging a flourishing of verdant luxury, before winter kills it again.
ReplyDelete...whereopen, the spring will come, and the gorgeous greens will be with us once again. "Now, The Green Blade Riseth".
DeleteSpectacular butterfly and birds. Poison Ivy is not nice. Would not know it to avoid it though if I was over there or the other poison plants by sight. England and even Wales are in full drought conditions now. No rainfall for months and lakes and rivers drying up. Brown grass everywhere and several months with 30 plus temperatures in a succession of heat waves. Folk are taking Scottish Highland holidays now just to feel rain again and escape the heat.
ReplyDeleteOh, I really should know how to identify poison oak or ivy by now. "Leaves of 3, leave it be". And when it is even brown and dead, "Hairy vine, no friend of mine". However, my sense of tidiness outweighs all else. When I saw it on the side of my house, I instantly pulled it down, without gloves!!
DeleteAre folks in Scotland now tired of all who come there for holidays?
Hey, MY list has those same words! We must be the same age!
ReplyDeleteYes! We are the same age. I am not as funny and wise as you are though!
DeleteI'm a bit wistful for the beach, also. The bird and butterfly photos are beautiful and you have my sympathy on the poison ivy. I always have to take steroids and do everything I can to avoid the stuff.
ReplyDeleteI am just remembering that I had to go to the doctor last time I had it, and she did give me steroids. Oh dear, might have to this time too.
DeleteWhat a wealth of information here, dear Kay!
ReplyDeleteIn my birth year (1968), an incredible amount of new words made their first appearance - anything from band-aid to Fu Manchu moustache to morning breath to urban legend to ziplock... Wow!
So far, I've not come across "birb" (except for your post, of course). It doesn't make sense to me, since it's neither an abbreviation nor term of endearment.
I don't think I have ever had a close encounter with poison ivy myself, but it does sound VERY unpleasant and painful. Hopefully, you'll soon have your arm back to normal.
The butterfly is so, so beautiful!
We really have not seen that many butterflies this year yet. We were very thrilled to see that one. It was at the Monastery. Hey! Tell your Mum about that website! See what words came about the year that she was born too!
DeleteBeautiful pictures !
ReplyDeleteWatched some Antique road show too ;)
Take care !
Anna
I really love the Antiques Road show! We have it in our country too but the places they have the shows in England are so much more interesting!
DeleteAs much as I love the beach, I wouldn't go it it was cold out, it is made for hot weather. We're having days over 100 degrees right now and a beach trip would be the perfect thing. I do know many things and words have changed, I''m over 80 and have seen many. I do agree there is nothing wrong with the word bird at all. Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing ! Sorry about the poison ivy, it is painful and itches like crazy. Take care and stay away from those leaves of three from now on.
ReplyDeleteI can't say I have ever been to a beach in cold weather but I promise you, in cool weather, it is so delightful! If it is hot and sunny, I have to take great pains due to my fair skin! LOL! You should look at your birth year, MA, and see what words came about when you were born! x
DeleteThis was fun. I was going to give you my favorite word from each letter of the alphabet but decided against it. No need to be cruel.
ReplyDeleteAh, you have reminded me of something. Our son had a Sesame Street headboard as a young child with the alphabet. I would make up stories with each letter of the alphabet. Once he knew his letters, I invited him to do the same. His stories were better than mine! This is a way to show when a child is truly gifted, I think!
DeleteI miss the beach. I haven't been back to California in many years and I do miss the beach.
ReplyDeleteThe closest beach to us is about 250 miles away. Wish I could get there after it cools down.
DeleteBeautiful photos, Kay! I love being in and/or near the water!
ReplyDeleteMe too! Even a small lake makes me happy.
DeleteI have written a lot about Eastbourne this week in my blog, a beach I loved to visit when we lived in the UK. As much as an Australian can love NW London and Herts for a few years, I was dying to move back to a house fairly close to a beach.
ReplyDeleteHels
Art and Architecture, mainly
Hello there! Thanks very much for your comment! Please tell me your blog name, when I click on your name, it does not take me to it. Now, I love Eastbourne! My in laws lived there for almost 40 years and I loved to visit them. Please, tell me your blog name and visit me again. Best wishes,
DeleteThe Beach picture is nice, even if you weren't there. Until about a week ago, we've been hotter than normal too; but some folks still say no to science and refuse to admit we have global warming. Great Butterfly picture. I actually knew the blue dots meant female. My nephew told me that. He's pretty knowledgeable about butterflies in general; but raises and releases both Monarch and Swallowtails. If you know you've touched poison ivy, the trick is to wash as soon as you can to get the oils off....you can keep from getting it sometimes.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
Thanks, Sandy! I came inside straight away and washed and washed my hands! I guess it could have been worse but it's been pretty bad. And global warming, I just dont see how people can say it doesn't exist. It is real!! Take care in your part of the world, Sandy! x
Delete