Since I last wrote my post, England won their next match in spectacular fashion...and USA lost theirs in an equally spectacular way. As good as the English victory was to celebrate, the USA match was one that we should all forget. It was dismal. By the way, I cannot help but feel for the teams who have played extremely well and end up losing anyway. I mean, it truly looks heartbreaking. I am reminded of one of my favorite Peanuts comic strips. Let's see if I can share it with you here....
"How did the other team feel?"
That is what Charlie Brown says to Linus after Linus is so excited over his team winning a football game. (Just in case you can't see the cartoon.)
I also wrote about the joy of the English fans at the Atlanta Braves baseball game and how much fun they had with the outfielder, Michael Harris. Our son wrote about the very same thing in his piece for "The Last Word on Sports"! You may read it just here and I truly hope you will click on that and read it! It is so well written!
3 Braves Players Who Were All-Star Snubs
Braves Pitching Torched In Three Monster Games
TWO more articles above! Just click on the links!
By the way, when I said that the USA match was dismal, I am reminded that Chris Evert is not a commentator at Wimbledon this year. She is going through some cancer treatments, I believe. I really like her. What made me think of her in regard to the USA being bad, is that I loved it when she was speaking at Wimbledon and after a particularly unusual show of poor tennis play, she would say, "Well, that was just awful". Not in a mean way, just an honest observation-simple and to the point. Love that!
If England wins their next match against Norway, they will play July 15th in Atlanta against either Argentina or Switzerland. (I believe that is correct.) You know who I am rooting for! England last won the World Cup in 1966. Yes, that is correct! A lot of their football shirts have that 66 embossed upon them. Here is a photo of Christopher (our son) and you can see the 66 on there!
I think the English sports commentators are very good, by the way! Some of their statements are so clever and funny. I was watching a match years ago and I actually wrote two quotes down. (Yes, I collect things like that to make me chuckle.) "50 years of hurt is about to be extended". This was when the match was hopelessly lost and for whatever series that was for, it was obviously the 50th year since they had won it! And this: "It's as if everyone in a white shirt has decided to have the worst England game of their lives - all at the same time".
There, I hope I have not jinxed that great England team by sharing these quotes with you. I sincerely wish them the best and hope that 2026 will be coupled now with 1966 with England being World Cup Champions!
The English fans sing "Wonderwall" by Oasis after they win. I hope they will keep singing this song! If you want to sing along with them, I have the song here along with the lyrics.

Enjoy World Cup!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Only happens every 4 years, gotta enjoy it while I can! LOL!
DeleteExcellent comic strip. Cute son. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThanks, Linda! Don't you miss Peanuts? I do.
DeleteYes indeed, what does the other team feel like?
ReplyDeleteThat is also one reason why I find it ridiculous that people seriously PRAY to God for a particular team to win. As if God would make one team win and another team lose! It's the players on the field who win or lose a game, helped or hindered by their coaches, the referees and circumstances beyond their control such as weather, high altitude and so on.
But to expect God to influence a sports event of any kind is just against everything I believe God to be.
Yes, I know but there are truly some people who just live and breathe for sports. My Dad and I had such a good time with just about anything involving sports, so I have a great fondness for them. Glad you liked the cartoon! I have had it in my address book for years, glad to share it!
DeleteSorry but I feel it was poetic justice the the USA lost after someone interfered by talking to the head of FIFA about it. Shows he should have let it be. The Three lions are still there with sponsorship from Linx no less
ReplyDeleteThere was a LOT of ill will towards the USA after someone contacted FIFA. I felt it myself. Can't imagine what that must have been like for the USA team.
DeleteEnjoy the world cup I follow none of it but loved all the excitement of the Scott's in Boston.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Yes! That was fun but the English fans at our baseball game here in Atlanta were pretty good too! There was not as many fans there as at the Boston Red Sox game. For one thing, there were more Scottish fans but also, the stadium for the baseball team in Atlanta is miles away from the city of Atlanta, it is in Cobb County, about a 30 minute drive north of the city!
DeleteI have to be honest - I am not a sports gal of any kind. Glad you are enjoying the World Cup - my son and grandson love it.
ReplyDeleteOur son loves sports too but guess what, he got that love from ME! Tee hee, I loved sports because I loved spending time with my Dad. He was the biggest Braves fan ever!
DeleteI don't follow sports but am hearing lovely stories during the World Cup series...winner or losers - it seems like coming together with enthusiasm for the competition makes each team a winner :)!
ReplyDeleteIt is the WORLD CUP, so it should bring the world together! 🌎 Oh, if only that could be so!
DeleteI don't watch sports but it was fun watching everyone getting so excited for this.
ReplyDeleteNice to see people have some joy over something these days!
DeleteSome of the games have been so exciting. And heartbreaking. They pulled so many into feeling the sport. Right now I am looking forward to the All Star Baseball Game. My Tigers have three players selected. Plus Justin Verlander was selected as a "legend" player meaning he will be honored but will not play. And I'm guessing that Skubal will be chosen as a pitcher.
ReplyDeleteHey! The Braves have FIVE in the All Star Game! My son also wrote an article about that, including another article! I went back and added both links to this post if you would like to read them. I think you would like them! I know you love your Tigers! 🐯
DeleteChris Evert was always my favourite tennis player when she was playing. I used to watch a lot of tennis back then on TV, not so much now although I have seen bits of games recently. If the USA had got to the finals or won the world cup it would have put football/soccer on the map there in a big way, but sadly not to be.
ReplyDeleteI also loved Bjorn Borg and his matches with John McEnroe. I always wanted Borg to win! I think Bjorn Borg is also battling cancer now, I am wishing him and Chris Evert complete recoveries. I know lots of Americans only like sports if the Anericans are on top. I'm not like that.
DeleteI remember reading that comic originally in the newspaper. It struck me then and stuck with me all these years, I always remember the fans of the losing team are not feeling so great. It’s one reason I cannot stand when a losing team goes home with no points at all on the board, it makes the trip home seem even longer and worse, at least to me.
ReplyDeleteYour son is an excellent writer.
Thank you! Our son makes his living as a writer and editor. You know we think he's great too! The World Cup has really made me think of that cartoon. Argentina won their match recently, but it was only in the very last 12 minutes or so of the match.
DeletePretty sad news about Chris Evert. I am praying her cancer treatment works and she can get on with her life. I always loved Charlie Brown. My brother used to call me Lucy sometimes. lol. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteThere is a documentary about Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, about their long friendship and both of their battles with cancer. I started to watch it but when it got to the cancer bit, I just couldn't watch anymore. I will go back and see it but man, I just like them both so much . Oh, and you know I have been called "Lucy" a time or two, I even had the same puffy dark hair!
DeleteThat Peanuts strip perfectly captures the bittersweet side of sports, because watching a team play their hearts out only to face a gut-wrenching loss is always tough to see. I am definitely crossing my fingers that this tournament breaks the long streak of heartbreak so the fans can blast Wonderwall all the way to the final. Christopher's piece on the Braves sounds fantastic, and having his work published like that must make you incredibly proud. Sending so much love to Chris Evert during her treatments; her classic, blunt honesty is sorely missed on the broadcast, especially when a game goes entirely sideways.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment! My fingers are crossed for England too! 🏴 We were there once during the World Cup and the England flags were everywhere! I have a fond memory of buying a World Cup cake from the bakery at Sainsbury's. Best cake I have ever had, no kidding! Melody, have I told you how much I like your way with words?:I really do! Take care! Will be thinking of you, hoping you can sing "Wonderwall" all the way through also. I even have the lyrics for you but you probably know them.
DeleteYour Peanuts comic strip really does make you think. You often forget the other side when ecstatic about your own wins.
ReplyDeleteYour Christopher is such a cutie and has such a sweet smile.
Thanks, Kay! Wish I could show you a photo of our granddaughter! Her smile is so much like Christopher's! And so many of those comic strips by Charles Schultz were like that, fun for kids but very much for adults too. Aloha!
DeleteThe Peanuts quote captures the bittersweet side of sports so well. England’s fans singing Wonderwall must be unforgettable.
ReplyDeleteAnd how wonderful that Christopher’s writing is being published, that’s something to celebrate right alongside the matches.
Christopher is not only a writer but also a magazine editor/writer! He writes about music too for Audio Phox! He has lots of interests! When we visited London when he was 16, he had a list of all the museums he wanted to see. AND you know he was thrilled with England winning against Norway yesterday!
DeleteChristopher looks great in his England shirt and thanks for the video. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the stories surrounding the World Cup. Happy for England but sad for Norway. They have all entrenched themselves into our hearts these players, from all the countries, the fans too. Talking about hearts, Chris Evert is certainly in mine. I enjoyed your cartoon, says it all!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Denise! Now, it's on to Wednesday when England will play Argentina! Wimbledon is over now and honestly, it just didn't seem the same without Chris Evert. Glad you liked the cartoon too! x
DeleteSo often when watching sports I'm left with the feeling that nobody deserves to lose - people train so hard and play with their whole heart - but I still enjoy watching :-)
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Hey! It was heartbreaking to watch England lose although we knew to expect it with Argentina. It has been fun to have the World Cup here, especially the ones so close to me in Atlanta!
DeleteHi, Kay! England lost. 😭. I was cheering for them, as was my family in England. Oh well, life DOES go on. I'm going to be cheering for Spain on Sunday! I have really enjoyed the World Cup competition. Love to you!
ReplyDeleteHey Louise! Sob! Yes, England lost but we have to keep calm and carry on. I was surprised at how closely I followed the matches but then, I do enjoy sports. Love and hugs to you, sweet friend. Stay cool in Colorado! xx
DeleteAlas England lost yesterday ... but I hope they win 3rd place at the weekend ... we shall see.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Yes, it was sad to watch England lose but that's how it goes. Lovely to see your comment here, Jan. Take care!
DeleteI was born in England so I have been following their games. So sad when they were knocked out.
ReplyDeleteYes, very sad. I am not Engliish but married to a Brit, you know I have that Engish heart! x
DeleteHi Kay - I can't get excited about it ... but understand others' interests ... sad we didn't get to the final ... will we be third or fourth? I suspect the latter as they'll be playing France tomorrow. Spain just might win ... we shall find out!! Cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteHello to you in lovely Eastbourne! Wish I was there, walking on the seafront with a honeycomb ice cream. Then, I would pop into the RNLI Museum for a cold bottled water. I know it's hot but you have the sea breezes! Atlanta was one of the host cities here in America so it's been fun to see that. Cheers to you! x
DeleteHello to you in lovely Eastbourne! Wish I was there, walking on the seafront with a honeycomb ice cream. Then, I would pop into the RNLI Museum for a cold bottled water. I know it's hot but you have the sea breezes! Atlanta was one of the host cities here in America so it's been fun to see that. Cheers to you! x
DeleteLook, I said that twice!! LOL.
ReplyDeleteHi Kay,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say how much I love your photos on your sidebar!
Thanks very much, Linda! My husband is a great photographer. He took all those photos except the one of himself with our son. LoL! I did take that one!
DeleteI agree, dear Kay! I think both of you are good photographers. The photos are lovely. :)
DeleteThank you, sweet Linda! Wish I could gave gotten photos of the baby skink on my porch but it was just too quick.
DeleteAnd that is typed correctly, a skink not a skunk!
ReplyDelete