Saturday, January 20, 2018

I'll See You In My Dreams! (Another Fine Film Recommended by ME!)




I wish I could write a film review!  If you want to read a good one, I would advise you to read this one!  A few weeks back, I saw that they were showing a film based on the songwriter, Gus Kahn and that the movie starred Danny Thomas and Doris Day.  I recorded it and I am so glad that I did!  (Songwriters...you know I love them and their stories.)
"I'll See You In My Dreams" was a big hit in 1952 and was directed by Michael Curtiz. (Pronounced "Cur-TEEZE").
(You should know his name, many of his most famous films are:
Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Kid Creole and...I'll See You In My Dreams!)  All of those that I have listed are EXCELLENT and if you have not seen them, go and do so right now!  You will thank me.

I have always loved Doris Day, both for her acting and singing but also for her work with animals.  I only remembered Danny Thomas from the TV show "Make Room For Daddy" and I only vaguely remembered that one.  I also knew that he was a co-founder of the famous hospital in Memphis, Tennessee...the St. Jude's Children Hospital.  After looking him up, I was amazed at his story...someone should make a movie about HIS life!  Honestly, I wish I could!   READ THIS   If you click on that link I gave you and read about the life of Danny Thomas, you will be glad that you did!  



Hey! When snow falls and you can't get out and your birds are out of suet...make it yourself!  You know I did! These photos are from Wednesday of this week when the low was 14 degrees.  Today is Saturday...and the high was 64!  And we thought that we would only be seeing high temps in our dreams! 







17 comments:

  1. I have seen the movie. It's been many years but I remember it. Danny Thomas did have an interesting life. He made the promise to St. Jude that he would build a hospital if he got a part in a movie. It was going to be the last time he tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've seen the Michael Curtiz films "Casablanca" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" -- love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked Doris Day, too. Not sure whether I have ever seen the movie; I might have done, as there was a time in my early teens when many Doris Day films from the 59s and 69s were shown on German TV, and I often watched them with my Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice photo of a woodpecker. I used to run away from Doris Day films as fast as I could yet still managed somehow to see them all on TV during the 1960s and 1970s as my mum was a big fan. Still have nightmares about Calamity Jane threatening to burst into a song! Ruined proper Westerns for me as after than I always expected John Wayne to start singing from his horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Thomas’ story does deserve a movie of its own.

    That was so nice of you to make your own suet for the birds, i know they appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that movie years ago and should watch it again. I have read Danny Thomas's story and he was an AMAZING man. I am thrilled that his daughter, Marlo, has carried on his legacy.

    I hope you have a blessed, wonderful Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did see that movie and it was good. St. Jude hospital is a favorite charity of ours. Danny Thomas was a great person. I like the photo of the woodpecker. They do love suet cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even heard of the film :) But I'll take your word for it that it's good. Wonderful images of these cute birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a little older than you are and being from Ohio, I'm aware of Danny Thomas, but there were many things in that article which I'd never known. He was a very talented and very generous man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I had watched all those movies - I must have missed this one - I never knew Doris and Danny were in a show together! I always liked those two actors. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hellooooo! Thanks for popping by my little bit of the Internet! A lot of people tell me they laugh out loud at what I write but it's purely unintentional on my part. Interestingly, I read your bio, and I write to my USA pen pal for nigh on 20 years. From primary school. We did get romantic through those tricksy teen years..he even rang me up once!! AnywY we lost touch but then got back in touch via fb. We never got married though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Doris Day and Danny Thomas very well and admired them both, Kay. I enjoyed seeing your feeder with its homemade suet and birds. We used to decorate a bird tree at Christmastime with homemade suet, cranberries, and popcorn. We've got snow and cold today. I hope that it has warmed up in your area. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kay, I remember make room for daddy. :) I saw Marlo Thomas on the Today Show last month...she spoke of St Jude Hospital. Love the suet cakes for the birdies. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just checked and I can buy or rent it at Amazon prime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was fun, can't remember if I have seen the movie, but I knew most of the songs. I remember Doris Day and Danny Thomas very well, and enjoyed most of her movies back in the day. Well done making the suet for the cute birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree. I saw that movie recently also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never seen the movie, but love the song - ever since Joe Brown did it at the Concert for George - here's one link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWERLNXIZGc

    ReplyDelete