Thursday, December 14, 2017

Happy 90th Birthday to Joan! Young At Heart!


This time last week, Richard was still not home from his trip.  He was flying home from England (and boy, were his arms tired! HA!) He believes that the whole trip from door to door, that is from his parents' home in Eastbourne to our home, took about 18 hours.  Thinking about it through, it was a good thing he didn't book his return flight for the Friday (Dec. 8th) as that was the big snow day and the Atlanta airport was a mess with tons of delays and cancellations.

Now, why in the world would I let him go to England without me?
It was his mother's 90th birthday celebration! I wasn't able to go and Richard couldn't get too much time off, but we were both glad that he could go!  Want to see some photos? Wait until you see her cake! Wow!



I asked Richard to take a few birthday decorations over from America. I sent the "Happy Birthday" banner along with some polka dot balloons. They were most likely all made in China, but hey, it 's the thought that counts, right?  Don't you love their solarium overlooking their pretty English garden? (They don't say "yard" in England, it is always the back "garden"!)

Joan got such pretty flowers...


The ones on the left are from her grandson, Christopher! And the ones on the right from her husband, Peter! (Richard got her orchids, he didn't get a photo of them, but they are lovely.)




Yay, there is one of my polka dot balloons! 
Of course, I had more that I wanted to send but Richard only took a few things.  I didn't want it to be too much over the top, not like Buddy decorated in "Elf"... but almost!  :-)







THE CAKE!  Isn't it exquisite?  It was made by a local bakery, The Cavendish Bakery, I think Richard told me.  What do you think, is it as gorgeous as I think it is?
Now, notice the color of the candles and the piping on the cake, do you think that Joan's dress will match?

Of course, it will!  Doesn't Joan look fantastic! That lace dress! It is lovely, isn't it?  And it looks so good on her! Look carefully at her necklace...that is one of the gifts that Richard and I gave her and I picked it out. Those are Mickey Mouse ears, in sparkly crystals! (Wish they could be diamonds, Joan!)  And guess what...Dec. 5th was Joan's birthday and she shares her birthday with Walt Disney! So, if any of you know how my mind works...you will see that this makes it more special!
Joan had on a different necklace but she wished she had something a bit brighter and then....Richard gave her the Mickey Mouse necklace!  I think it looks really pretty with the dress! 




Richard with his Mum and Dad...(I call them Joan and Peter.)  That is PeTe, the dog, looking on!


Richard is so sweet, he took another photo of the "Happy Birthday" banner that I sent over!  I hope it felt like a big hug when they looked at it!  
If you would like to leave belated birthday wishes for Joan, please do! I hope she will see this and know how good she looks! Joan is in good company, my Dad is 90 and hey, so is Queen Elizabeth!

Look! Here are my sweet in-laws posing with my giant hug that I sent to them.  They look like models! Pure elegance.






44 comments:

  1. She's a lovely lady for 90 years and I do wish her a belated Happy Birthday. How wonderful that your husband could be with her to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment! I hope that Joan will see this, it will make her day!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kay - Richard's mother and father are doing well - very good to see them .. and I'm so glad he was able to go and visit and spend a little birthday time with them. Glad the weather didn't disrupt more.

    Happy Birthday to Joan - nine days later ... lovely flowers, balloons and banner - fun ... cheers to one and all - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! Richard had one very good day and he took the BEST photos of the pier! They are so very good that I feel guilty using them on my blog, I will try to put one or two on there, I guess I will just feel guilty, LOL!
      Cheers to you and your Christmas time in America this year!

      Delete
  3. Yes, i wish your wonderful Mother-in-Law many, many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful get-together and gorgeous cake for a lovely woman who looks much too young to be 90 years old. Happy Birthday Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that your comment will be very much appreciated by Joan, so I thank you!

      Delete
  5. She does indeed look fantastic! Happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks she looks great!

      Delete
  6. Happy 90th birthday, Joan! Wishing you all the best!

    The flowers, the cake, the decorations, the dress, the necklace -- ALL GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I love those verdigris froggy musicians in the background of the solarium photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't you just love them? :-)
      You have an eagle eye!

      Delete
  8. I've said it before and I say it again, Joan is a real lady through and through - I don't know her personally, but from what you have written about her, I think I can say that.
    The flowers, her dress, the necklace, the decoration - it is all lovely, and I am so glad Richard could be there! You made the most of it yourself even though you could not be present (!) in person.

    Belated Happy Birthday wishes, dear Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: What you call solarium, Kay, my relatives in England call a conservatory. My mother-in-law has one :-)

      Delete
    2. As always, you are perfectly correct. Joan IS a lady AND that the room is really a conservatory, that is what they call it too! You must remember, even though I am married to a Brit, I am still American! LOL!
      Thanks for the good wishes for Joan, she will be well chuffed! (There, I hope I got THAT expression correctly!) HA!

      Delete
  9. Wow!!! They both look great for their age and she is just precious in her lace dress with her special Mickey necklace! How wonderful that Richard was able to go visit for her birthday. That must have just warmed her heart.

    Her cake is just beautiful-simple and sweet and matches her dress perfectly! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! Don't they both look just wonderful? They are the SWEETEST couple, wish you could meet them, you would love them, and you would have a good old "natter" with them both! (You know I do!) xx

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to your MIL! How wonderful she looks. Too bad you couldn't go but I'm sure she was glad her son could be there for the special occasion. Not everyone gets to celebrate their 90th after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, 90 is special, and I was glad that Richard was able to go. She had two parties, and I say, good for her!

      Delete
  11. Kay, Happy Birthday to Joan. They do have a pretty view. How sweet that your hubby went to spend his time off with them. I am sure Joan knew you were thinking of her. Blessings to all of you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, you sweet Susie! I did get to speak with Joan on her birthday, I forgot to say! I spoke with her at 6:30AM our time, which was 11:30 AM in England! That is great love, you see, I am not a morning person! LOL!
      Blessings to you! x

      Delete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday to Joan! May all of her birthday year be filled with happiness....Kay, I've been admiring that new header you have and I think it even more lovely now that I know what it is...Joan is so beautiful in these photos. That dress is elegant and the Mickey Mouse Ears are delightful. And the cake! Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so glad that you love the flowers, Joan's dress, the necklace and the cake!
      Joan will see this post and I know she will be delighted. x

      Delete
  13. Oh how superbly wonderful!! What a celebration and what a lovely, lovely couple! Yes, I want to be like Joan when I 'grow up' -- a lovely, elegant, smiling woman surrounded by those she loves. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A lovely, elegant, smiling woman surrounded by those she loves." I loved your words so much, I am repeating them here for Joan!
      Thank you for your lovely words!

      Delete
  14. These are wonderful photos, Kay! Richard's mum and dad sure are looking good. I have Sinatra's song in my own collection...great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul!
      How lovely it is to see your comment here! You have made my day! Joan will be even more thrilled to know that she and Peter are being admired from the other side of the world from them! Cheers to you in New Zealand! God bless you!

      Delete
  15. How wonderful it was for Richard to be with his mother for her birthday...a cherished time and memory.

    Terrific pics.....reminders of a loving, happy time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were both grateful that Richard would go, but of course I wanted to go too, but I was there in spirit!
      Joan will be tickled that there is a comment here from the Land Down Under! :-)

      Delete
  16. Greetings from the UK. You sound like a caring person.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrew! Thank you very much for your comment!
      You are a poet! Good for you, we need more in the world.
      Happy Christmas to you in the UK!
      Peace and Joy.

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday! Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I was hoping for an ALOHA from Hawaii for Joan! You have made my day! x

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday Joan! Your dress is so beautiful but your smile really makes it extra lovely! How wonderful that Richard still has both parents living a long life and looking so fabulous. I'm so glad he was able to make that trip and I'm sure his Mum was thrilled. You picked out the best gift and decorations..and that cake was perfection! Thanks for sharing this special birthday with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your observation that Joan's smile makes it extra lovely! Thanks very much for the best wishes for her!
      I will be very pleased to hear what Joan will say about all these wonderful comments here. Thanks very much for yours, my friend!

      Delete
  19. Well - happy birthday, Joan! Hope I look that good (relatively speaking) if I ever get there..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Here's to 90! If you make it to









      Here's to 90!

      Delete
    2. I was trying to type this: If you make it to 100 in England, you can get a card from the Queen! I think that is great!

      Delete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday to your beautiful mom-in-law, Joan!!
    God bless her beautiful heart eternally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless her beautiful heart eternally...how perfect that you wrote that comment.

      Delete