Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Keep Your Hands To Yourself





You might think that the title of this post could somehow be related to all the recent news of sexual harassment cases.  It is true that almost anything will remind me of a song but in this case it is because I saw a film and I heard a song during the final credits. The song was by The Yayhoos.  Turns out that Dan Baird has sometimes performed with The Yayhoos. Who is Dan Baird? Why, he was with the Georgia Satellites and their big hit was "Keep Your Hands To Yourself! 

Oh, I thought to myself, I wonder what he is up to these days...I looked him up and just this past year, he was performing with his band in England but became very ill.  His bandmates insisted on him going to hospital. (In England, you go to hospital...in the USA you go to THE hospital.  Don't ask me why this is said this way.)
Anyway, I was sad to learn that Dan Baird is now battling leukemia.   Interesting article about him just here.
Dan is quoted at the end of it by saying about his music, "Just go out there swinging as yourself."  I admire people who don't look at current trends or fads but just honestly perform their music as they want to do it, not how others think that they should.

(I still am working on my post about music, my friends.  Look out for it, prize winning stuff, I am sure!)

In the meantime, Keep Your Hands To Yourself!

Dan Baird, if you should somehow read this post, I am thinking about you.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all my American friends!  And happy Thursday to the rest of the world!




Sad news, I see that David Cassidy has died.  One of the main things I remember about him- he was devastated when a young woman died at one of his concerts as a result of trampling. Seems to me that the press can be very cruel.  I found a piece from a newspaper just here. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to have had that wild fame that he had in the 1970's and what it must have been like for someone like him to have to live up to his name for the rest of his life.  May he rest in peace.



.







                                                A u t u m n   C o l o r s !

18 comments:

  1. So many have died this last week. Montgomery Young of AC/DC, David Cassidy, Della Reese,Pete Moore of the Miracles, Mel Tillis. I know I'm forgetting someone. All big names in music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I had not heard of Pete Moore's death! I am so sorry to learn of it, I will have to do a post about him.
      He died on his 78th birthday.
      Della Reese, I always loved her!
      Mel Tillis, I was sad to learn of his death. He was also a songwriter, besides being a singer!
      Montgomery Young from AC/DC...so sad.

      Delete
  2. Admittedly, the names of bands and musicians in this post are unfamiliar to me, with the exception of David Cassidy. He was an idol for many who were older than I in the 1970s (I was only 6 in 1974, but a HUGE Abba fan!).
    Your header photo and the other pictures here are wonderful, I so love autumn colours (and autumn as such).
    And can you believe it - tomorrow night after work, I am going to meet my Mum in town... for the opening of our Christmas Market!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, David Cassidy was 67, so he was older than me and yet, I thought he was younger.
      If you are an ABBA fan, you should see the movie, "Muriel's Wedding". It was very funny and all about ABBA!
      Lucky you, with your Mum at the Christmas Market!

      Delete
  3. I liked David Cassidy too. I am glad that not so many well known people have died in 2017 as in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to lose those that we "know" so well from TV and the movies.

      Delete
  4. David Cassidy certainly knew the highs and lows of fame. RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fame must be a terrible thing, really. People are people, no matter how famous they are.

      Delete
  5. So many have passed away this year and we remember them fondly especially with the holidays approaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that those who have lost loved ones always have a hard time with those first holidays without them.

      Delete
  6. Love your new header. Know that song well, sorry to hear the singer is ill. I was too old to have been a David Cassidy fan, but it's always sad to hear of someone we know of passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I thought the same thing, that I was too old to have been a David Cassidy fan, but he was 67 when he died, so he is older than I am! That might be one reason he had such trouble being screamed at by teenagers if he really looked younger than he was.
      Thanks for liking the new header, by the way! It is at Stone Mountain Park and one of our favorite spots.

      Delete
  7. So much sad news, it makes me want to count my blessings.

    Happy Thanksgiving to your an yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let us count our blessings.
      Happy THanksgiving to you in Louisiana! x

      Delete
  8. Obviously, D.C. was a well known figure from my childhood but I had different musical tastes then growing up from the Velvet Underground, Curved Air and David Bowie to Melanie Safka and traditional folk music in my teens.
    What is perplexing is why all this sexual harassment discussion is coming out now as its been going on for many decades in the entertainment industry since the start. It's been very well documented in countless books I've read over the years and in various films, as a well established means to get to the top, or get noticed, especially in the 1930s to the 1990s yet its being discussed now as if its been a highly secret society and has just been suddenly revealed in 2017. Why pretend otherwise? Did the 1960's and women's lib even happen or was that just a dream? Everyone knew it was going on forever and they all went along with it, male and female, right back to the Evelyn Nesbit scandal and the 'Gibson Girls' of the early 1900s. That's a long time to keep a secret.
    I'm not condoning any wrong behavior by anyone just wondering why its taken so very long to come out? Even glaciers move faster and the suffragette movement led by powerful women had a bold and immediate impact on changing society's behaviour and injustice towards women in a much less tolerant and unenlightened age than this one. Just a thought...as I would have expected it to have occurred much earlier than this.
    Obviously, that's a male viewpoint and women are a complete mystery to me and always have been. For instance, although I admire high heels for the visual image created why would you willingly wear something that cripples your feet, limits where you walk,where you go, and what you can do in them. Is that not another form of control yet its accepted by society, and many women as completely 'normal behaviour'. I mention this because on TV news female presenters heels are getting noticeably higher as a general western trend as a symbol of 'powerful women'.
    Yours, sincerely puzzled :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, when I hear something on the news, I will say, "About time"...we all know that this has gone on FOREVER but men have just gotten away with it. Especially I know that this happened in Hollywood, David Niven wrote about it in one of his books. (I read them so much, I know segments by heart.)
      The TV female presenters...Richard and I cannot help but notice that over the years they have been positioned beside their desks in such a way to show off their legs! (Before anyone BLASTS me over this, I am not saying that they are "asking for it" or anything like that, just that it is a conscious effort on the network's side to raise their ratings. So, I think that everyone should examine their motives and maybe think of things in a different way- like treating all humans with respect, without regard to race, religion or sex.
      David Cassidy was older than me but I thought he was younger. Whenever someone dies, it is not what they did in life, I think of them as a person-they left behind loved ones who will miss them. There was a sweet tribute from Shawn Cassidy, his half brother on his Facebook today.
      My tastes in music... you will have to wait for that post!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! You know if we could sit down together and discuss the problems of the world, we could have everything all sorted out by the second cup of tea.
      And if you throw in some custard creams, that would make it even sweeter!

      Delete