Sunday, September 24, 2017

Yellow Daisy Time!









Want to go on a nature hike?  Sure you do!

  If you have read my blog before, you know that this is the time of year to see the lovely Yellow Daisies!  Just look at them all, aren't they something? Keep in mind,  these are native wildflowers, they were not planted and tended and fussed over, they have come up from seed from the year before...isn't that wonderful?  We have observed these for many years on Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain and Panola Mountain...and we have never seen so many, and not just in the small amounts of soil on the rock but also under the trees and on the forest edge. I found some great info on the Yellow Daisy for you, you may read it just here.
All conditions must have been just right for the Yellow Daisies this year, an early spring with lots of rain is my guess!  But hey, enough of my wonderment and amazement over these beauties, you want to see more of them, right?  
Many of the trees and bushes have died on the mountain from the drought last year...I wonder if this is what happens every decade or so and there is a cycle of death and renewal.  The trees die and then, other plants thrive but then the trees take root and grow again.  There is something comforting to me about that thought, that life works itself out in the best way and everyone benefits.
Yes, that is me talking again and I wanted to show you photos...

Richard, stand over there and let me get a photo of you slightly out of focus! Good man!  (Wait, close your eyes, I won't notice! I only have eyes for DAISIES!)
Richard has been informed that he may only take photos of me from a good distance away...he is a good man and a good photographer!


Look at the close up of this eight- petaled beauty! (Some of them might have only seven petals, but I won't hold that against them, aren't they gorgeous?) And the fragrance is lovely too, if you just take the time to notice.

Not only do the Yellow Daisies bloom at our local mountains and rocky outcrops...but did you know that you may also see them on some of the roadsides? (They only grow within a 60 mile radius of Stone Mountain, Georgia.)  I wonder, do you think it is possible that some might grow in my yard?  What do you think?

These are Yellow Daisies In Our Front Yard!
Please note, no seeds were taken from any of our local mountains for the flowers that you see in the photo above!  It is most important that all the flowers are left to drop their seeds so that we may enjoy this lovely floral display next year and the year after that and so on and so on.  You get the picture!

(There was a sale this past weekend at Stone Mountain Park from the Georgia Native Plant Society. I wasn't able to go but I know they had some Yellow Daisy Seeds for sale!  I would love it if we could fill the Metro Atlanta area with these native wildflowers.)

More photos to come of the Yellow Daisies. Hope you love them as much as we do!


Stay straight in life and if possible, have the beauty of wildflowers beside you!


29 comments:

  1. I don't need to tell you how much I love the yellow daisies, Kay, do I! :-)
    I should keep your post bookmarked specifically to look at on a grey, rainy day!
    Sorry you could not go to the sale. Couldn't your favourite ranger save you a small packet of seeds until your next visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meike! My favorite ranger is at Arabia Mountain (Robby!) and I will have to let him know that we have grown our Yellow Daisies from seed in our own yard!
      I hope to make that native plant sale next year and get some more beautyberry, also native like the Yellow Daisies.

      Delete
  2. I love daisies...and I love yellow...so how could I not love yellow daisies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pictures of those lovely daisies. They are just beautiful! Hope you can get some seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I will have plenty of seeds from my own yard and will have some to give away! My meaning was that others would buy seeds and have these yellow flowers blooming all over in September, I have them already in my yard! :-)

      Delete
  4. Do they still have the Yellow Daisy Festival?
    Love all the photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they still have that festival at Stone Mountain, but it really should be the flowers that we should celebrate, not just a place where people have booths to sell things! I know folks love the festival but it amazes me that they go to it and don't even bother to look at the flowers. x

      Delete
  5. It's so much nicer to have native wildflowers growing along the highways and byways of an area than to try to force things to grow that just don't belong. Or worse, plant more plain ol' grass that has to be mowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or about this...chop down all the native flowers when we could enjoy them AND it would stop erosion! There was a gentleman who worked for the state of Georgia and was in charge of the Wildflower Program along the interstate. He died (I read his obituary in the paper-see one of my last posts) and I wondered how it would affect the flowers.
      After his death, I have not seen any wildflowers along the interstate. Talk about one person making a difference!

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is all so beautiful! I am so delighted you shared all these photos and am looking forward to more to come. It makes me feel so happy so see this beauty. I hope you get some seeds and soon! I think they would be happy at your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE happy at our home! Sorry, I didn't make that very clear in my writing here but the MAIN thing I wanted to impress is that the seeds should be left alone to re-seed themselves! We had some in a pot last year, and we have quite a display from the volunteers that came up in our back yard! (We have them in pots and in beds in our front yard.) I will show you more in another post!

      Delete
  7. I've never seen so many daisies in one place in my life! Simply stunning! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wish you could see them AND smell them!!

      Delete
  8. My goodness, Kay, those yellow daisies are something else. What a privilege to be able to see them! I think you must feel about them like we do about bluebells. Something so magnificent in all that brilliant colour spreading across nature for a short couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your bluebells too, some of your native beauties!
      See the photo of me in the upper right corner of me amongst the bluebells? I only saw them that one time but honestly, it was one of my favorite memories ever. x

      Delete
  9. Kay, Glad you and your husband got out to the mountains to enjoy those lovely daisies. So pretty. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie! We try to see them every year, we notice the seedlings in the spring and watch them grow and grow and we eagerly await the blooms! xx

      Delete
  10. They are so beautiful! I imagine these ring in the Fall season for you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so great to see these blooms in September and even into October. It is really more like a continuation of summer, our Fall is more like a November start! :-)

      Delete
  11. A lovely display and splurge of vivid colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a distance the bright yellow can look like giant patches of sunlight, much like a field of rape does in England.

      Delete
  12. They even have a festival named after them. I don't go to Stone Mountain often anymore, even though I live a short distance from there - it's gotten so crowded. I would like to visit Arabia Mountain sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should let me know, and I would meet you at Arabia Mountain! Stone Mountain has gotten very trendy and is therefore very busy, but I can still find places that are fairly quiet! The Yellow Festival...they have it when the flower is in bloom, it is very popular!

      Delete
  13. Glad you can see this from my post. The photos are not as good as seeing them for real!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The yellow daisies are glorious, Kay! I didn't know that they only grew within a 60 mile radius of Stone Mountain. They must bring you wonderful memories of hikes in your mountains when you see them blooming in your yard!

    ReplyDelete