Thursday, April 28, 2016

You're Just In Love by Irving Berlin





Yesterday, Ted Cruz announced that his running mate would be Carly Fiorina.  (This is like me announcing what dress I will wear when I accept the Nobel Peace Prize but never mind!) Anyway, on TV I heard her warbling a bit of a song and was startled to realize that her off key rendition was her own lyrics  to "I Wonder Why-You're Just In Love" by Irving Berlin. (It was written for "Call Me Madam" and I have a clip for you from YouTube.)  Oh dear, this song deserves to be sung but the tune should not be butchered!   (Note-I have for you is not Carly Fiorina but a woman celebrating her 80th birthday. She sings and plays the piano at the same time and I thought she was good at it!)











Oh well perhaps it made people go to their computer and look up this song by one of America's best songwriters!  Irving Berlin....if you want to know the story of this great songwriter, you may read about him here!  It is believed that he wrote 1,250 songs. (Yes, that is correct, over twelve hundred songs. Many of his songs were in the seventeen scores that he wrote for Broadway musicals.)
  
Here is a quote of his that I love: "It's the lyric that makes a song a hit...the tune is what makes it last."  He also had a lot to say about melody which seems to be lost these days...






I love songwriters but then, if you have read this blog for any time at all you will already know that.  Irving Berlin is great but my son is my favorite songwriter.  I think Irving Berlin would understand!





By the way, I think I would like   LESTER HOLT to be the next president of the USA! (Click on his name if you don't know him!) If he should ever decide to run, we need someone like him...besides being very well spoken and obviously intelligent, he also plays bass guitar. Good enough for me!




2012 Lester Holt by US Army (cropped) 2.jpg
image from Wikpedia

24 comments:

  1. I hope we get to hear one of your son's songs one day.

    Ted and Carly, bahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that my sweet followers will know my son when he makes it big! Fingers crossed! :-)
      BAHAHA, indeed!

      Delete
  2. I'm of the believe that people who can't hold a tune...who sing out of tune (and I'm included in that group) should keep their off-key warbling to when in the shower and/or their cars....alone in each event.

    Irving Berlin would definitely understand your preferred songwriter. :)

    By the way, Kay...I've just put up a post and a YouTube video about David Hackworth....as a follow-up to your response to my comment on your post the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post on David Hackworth! Anyone reading this comment, click on Lee's name and check out her post!

      Delete
    2. I apologise for my typo...I meant to type "belief" not "believe"; I believe you would've known that to be so. :)

      Delete
  3. The best comment I read on the Ted Cruz / Carly Fiorino "ticket" is that it's like attaching a broken wagon to a dead horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is about right...in Carly's case, she is the broken wagon with a very squeaky WHEEL (voice!) HA!

      Delete
  4. I've not heard of Lester Holt before, but seeing you would endorse his running for president, he must be well worth checking out. I shall do so after I've had my shower - waiting for my new settee to be delivered today, and need to be ready from 7:00 onwards (very early for me!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lester Holt is one of our news announcers but that does not mean that he couldn't be a good President! :-)
      You should find the video of him in Paris after the attacks, we need someone caring like that, I think. x

      Delete
  5. What fun - I remember that song, which is a great duet. Good old Irving Berlin, who I love too. Your politics must be a lot more fun than ours - I could never imagine a candidate doing a song act like that here! Have to admit I was impressed she was both playing and singing, not easy to do. I have done it a couple of times in public years ago, but would not try it now. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH sorry, Patricia, I am sorry I forgot to mention...I don't have a clip of Carly singing that song (or trying to) the lady singing and playing the piano is a woman who was celebrating her 80th birthday, I think it was.
      It was a clip I found on YouTube and thought it was good!
      I need to do my posts when I am not so tired! :-(

      Delete
  6. This is the worst election cycle I've ever seen and I'm old. I actually think I'll skip voting, I'd be embarrassed to say I voted for any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have heard a lot of folks say they are sick and tired of it all. Can't blame us, we hear it 24/7.

      Delete
  7. Almost anyone who is intelligent and can do the job would be better than anyone running now.

    Love Irving Berlin, and i also hope i get to hear your son has a hit song someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hit song from our C. That would be lovely!

      Delete
  8. I too love Berlin songs. That was a great time for music wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ted Cruz is...entertaining :)

    How about your son for president!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son would push for more vacation time for Americans. Hey, maybe he could win! :-)

      Delete
  10. It's a shame that a good melody really is missing a lot these days. I admit that modern songs are pretty catchy but far too many of them don't have a great melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! More melody! Get to work on it, please, you know you want to be a famous musician! (Hope my son reads this too!)

      Delete
  11. I enjoy and admire Irving Berlin but (and it can be no surprise) I've never heard of Carly Fiorina. Your primaries seem to have faded from our screens. As you will know DT's mother hailed from the township next to the one I came to when I arrived on Lewis in the 70s. Despite that all I can hope from an international point of view is that DT doesn't become your president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faded from your screens? You lucky thing!
      This presidential election is a bit scary and all the sensible folks I know are just ...bewildered by it all.
      I LOVE Irving Berlin! "You're not sick, you're just in love". GOTTA make you smile!

      Delete
  12. what a great blog you have love that lady slipper below, looking forward to reading all about your adventures, thanks for visiting my blog, I added you to my blog list; tell your papa I had ramp potatoes and ramp pesto today and they were delicious

    ReplyDelete