Monday, December 9, 2013

Morse/Lewis/Endeavour- Great TV Shows, Outstanding Music!



 "Inspector Morse".  That is one of the British shows that I enjoyed watching for years with John Thaw playing Morse.  We have also watched  "Inspector Lewis" ( with his sidekick, Lewis as the Chief Inspector now.)  We loved both of those shows.  A few months ago, I was really happy to watch "Endeavour", which is the prequel to "Morse".  It tells the story of Morse as a young man just starting out...if you get the chance, please do NOT miss any of these shows!

Now, besides the great acting and the beautiful background scenery in Oxford, I really appreciate the music of all of these shows!  Do you remember the music from Inspector Morse?  Can you recognize that the opening notes have a background of what sounds like MorseCode?  It's true! It spells out "MORSE" in Morse Code!   Isn't that incredibly clever? The composer, Barrington Pheloung is from Australia but studied music in England and now lives there.   I notice that he also did the music from a rather disturbing TV series called "Red Riding" which I have to tell you is so very intense that at times I simply could not watch it.  However, the music was excellent.

In my last post I gave you a name of a lyricist, Haven Gillespie, that I bet you have never thought of...now, I have given you the name of a wonderful composer, Barrington Pheloung.  See the things you learn from me?  (Oh, and if you ever need to know this- if you are ever locked up somewhere in a room and you can't scream for help, you can use Morse Code and tap out S-O-S. You do this by three short taps, three long knocks, and then three short taps.  That should do the trick. I think that is right and my computer is so slow, I can't look it up right now. If that isn't right, well, I hope you are never in an emergency when you are with me, you would be OUT OF LUCK! HA!)
 
Hey! This time last year, Richard and I climbed Panola Mountain!  Not this weekend or today, we have had a lot of rain and a lot of gray, overcast days.  It could be worse, at least we don't have snow!
Stay warm and dry everybody!






 

 

22 comments:

  1. I've only seen one episode of Endeavour: the first one. I enjoy Lewis rather more than I did Morse though I'm not quite sure why. You are correct the Morse Code for SOS (Save Our Souls) is ...---... ie dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot. I wonder how many people know that these days though. One might be tapping for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can just picture it...one poor soul tapping away and no one understanding his Morse Code! And that reminds me, on ships and planes, all the people aboard are referred to as "souls". I wonder when it came to be that people were referred to in that way?
      Morse, Lewis and Endeavour...I loved them all, and in Endeavour the young actor did such a great job, he even did John Thaw's walk, although in a very subtle way, typical Brit!

      Delete
  2. We watched Endeavour too and enjoyed it, especially the episode with the killer who left opera clues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Endeavour! It was so very well done! I loved them all!

      Delete
  3. It was almost spring-like yesterday. No more snow (yet!) since that first time of this season when I showed pictures of it on my blog.

    I have not watched more than a handful of episodes of "Morse" but did enjoy "Lewis"; isn't that the one set in Yorkshire? The only series I watch regularly nowadays is Midsomer Murders. That one has a beautiful waltz as the title music, and when I watch, I get up and twirl around my living room each beginning and end of the show :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few shows filmed in Yorkshire but Morse, Lewis and Endeavour are all in Oxford, they are supposed to be there anyway!
      Midsomer Murders! Oh, we love those too, although, we laugh since there are so many murders in such a tiny village! ;-) Now, when I watch one, I will think of you waltzing around the room!

      Delete
  4. We just got through watching all the episodes of Foyle's War and are having withdrawal symptoms. We've liked Lewis also and have watched just about all of those too. Morse? Hmmm... We shall have to check that out along with Endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You have not watched Morse or Endeavour? Watch them! You will thank me!!
      I adore Foyle's War! The actor who plays Foyle does such a wonderful piece of acting, perfectly suitied to that role, in my opinion!

      Delete
    2. Ditto to all of the above! Though we felt that the newest season of Foyle was not quite up to the standard of the older ones ... somehow WWII was more compelling than the Cold War as a background for Foyle's abilities. Michael Kitchen is superb in that role.

      May as well go on and leave my comment here: We too love Inspector Lewis and really enjoyed Endeavour. We've only just started watching Morse on Hulu.com and are several episodes in ... very interesting to see the character development.

      Barrington Pheloung, in addition to being a super-talented composer, has the coolest name! :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Sue! Yes, Michael Kitchen is wonderful, could not think of his name as I was typing the comment!
      Very often, I notice the background music in British TV shows and truly appreciate it. And you are right, that is one name!! (Of course, when you have a name like "Kay", any name sounds cool!) ;-)

      Delete
    4. Darn! Endeavor is not on Netflix, but I'll look for Morse.

      Delete
    5. Endeavour is very new, I think, so look out for it... I am sure that it WILL be on Netflix in the future! :-)

      Delete
    6. Oh! And we watched it on PBS, so perhaps you can look and see if it is repeated anytime soon?

      Delete
  5. The whole idea of Lewis, and then Endeavour is just plain genius to me. And both so well done. I hope E. goes on and on. One could happily watch those three shows forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are such great shows! Casting is everything to me and all the actors who play the leads in these shows are perfect!
      Oh, and Nan, I didn't leave a comment but I LOVED Trixie Belden books too!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kay, I love those shows, I've watched them all on PBS. I think Inspector Lewis was my favorite. I loved the scenery at Oxford and around that area. The story line was always interesting too.
    The rain has passed here, now its getting COLD, I think it's coming your way!
    Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dorothy!
      Yes! That is where I watched them on PBS, I LOVE public television!!
      I have never been to Oxford but maybe one day! In the meantime, I enjoy it through these shows.
      And you are right, the COLD is here this morning, BRRRR.
      Hope you have a happy Christmas too! Pat your little dog for me!!
      xx

      Delete
  7. You are right about SOS, and i hope you stay warm where you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really show know SOS, all the survival books I have read where they actually have done this!! What the heck, this is the South! Where did this darn cold COME from?! ;-)

      Delete
    2. I really SHOULD know SOS. Doggone it, I don't know how I don't see mistakes until I hit PRINT!!

      Delete
  8. I too loved Morse. John Thaw was such a brilliant actor - I miss him. Endeavour has been on one of the "repeats" channels and I have thoroughly enjoyed that too. Another one you would probably like very much like is Doc Martin. Have you seen any of the episodes, I know it is on in Georgia 'cos Sandy watches it - avidly. I think she was English in a previous life!! I am looking forward to your repeat of Stone Mountain as your "Header". Will it be anytime soon?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat!
      John Thaw was wonderful! I must tell you, Richard and I just saw the last episode of Morse, and we had no idea that Morse died in the show! Oh dear, I know it is just a TV show, but I wish they would have let him go off to Australia with his lady friend, I really do like happy endings!
      Oh, I love Doc Martin too! So funny and such beautiful scenery! It reminds me of Eastbourne a bit. I know it was filmed on the west coast, but still, the cliffs and the sea are close enough to make me want to jump on a plane!
      Oh~ I will have to look back and find a good photo of Stone Mountain, look out for it! xx

      Delete