Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Free Ryan Ferguson Based On Actual Innocence


If you have not been reading my blog for very long, you might not have read my post about Ryan Ferguson who I wrote about back in February.  You may read that post here.   If you get the chance, please look at this video.  It is from "Good Morning America" and was just telecast this morning.

Ryan Ferguson is currently serving a 40 year prison sentence for murder.  He was convicted sorely on the basis of two people who identified him as the killer.  Both of these have come forward and admitted that they lied.  No other evidence links Ryan Ferguson to this murder.  NOTHING ELSE!  Today, an Appeals Court in Missouri heard testimony regarding the Ryan Ferguson case and it is with high hopes that this case will be heard and that Ryan Ferguson will be given a full pardon.

If you go to this website  www.freeryanferguson.com , you will see that there is an address to write to the Govenor of Missouri and to respectfully ask for a full pardon for Ryan Ferguson based on Actual Innocence.  I know that this must be a legal phrase, but all I know is that those two words just made me think...what must it be like to spend NINE YEARS in prison for a crime that I know that I did not commit?  And what must it be like for his parents?  Bill Ferguson, Ryan Ferguson's father, is going around the country just now, speaking to church groups and civic organizations, calling it the "Free Ryan" tour, to draw attention to his son's case.

If you look at the following Facebook page, there is a note from Ryan Ferguson. It is very touching.
https://www.facebook.com/FreeRyanFerguson 

 

12 comments:

  1. I remember that post, Kay. That is just such and awful, awful thing. Sometimes our justice system does NOT work the way it should. I am so sorry for this young man- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana.
      You know, I find that sometimes people don't want to face hard truths, but I think it's very important to right wrongs, if at all possible!

      Delete
  2. I, too, remember that post. Things like that leave me outraged. It should not be possible in a country that calls itself "land of the free".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "When guilty men escape, the law has merely failed. When an innocent man is condemed, it creates the very evil it was to cure, and destroys the security it was made to perserve."
      Sir Samuel Romilly from the speeches in the House of Commons-1820.

      Found this quote on one of the websites for Ryan Ferguson.

      Delete
  3. How awful. You get the feeling he is still there because those in authority are too pig-headed and don't want to lose face. I have signed the petition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have read on this, once a jury has given a verdict, it is very difficult to get the judgement reversed.
      Hopefully, the Appeals Court will do the right thing.

      Delete
  4. The Guv'mint can't admit it was wrong, and it's sad. Let's hope he's free soon, and not just free, but his conviction overturned and he has a totally clean record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that he will be freed and that he will be able to come to terms with having spent so many years in prison as an innocent man.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting about this again, Kay. I've written a respectful email to the governor of Missouri and hope it will be a tiny part of the influence that will bring justice for this man.
    Who wants him to remain in prison? The prosecutor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for doing that.
      It's interesting you ask that last question. The prosecuting attorney at Ryan Ferguson's trial is now a JUDGE! In fact, he was asked to be the commencement speaker at a college in Missouri! As he was speaking, a plane flew overhead with this banner: FREE RYAN FERGUSON.
      I was glad to see that, nothing at all about the judge, just those three words on a banner.

      Delete
  6. I remember your February post on Ryan Ferguson very well, Kay. And I've visited all your links above. I just read that Ferguson was denied a new trial. It felt like a gut kick. I can't imagine what Ryan felt when he heard the news in his cell. I don't get why our "justice" system balks at righting its mistakes. Tragically he is not the only one wrongly imprisoned. Thank you for continuing to help his cause. Take care!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and well wishes for Ryan!
      I am hoping that this will result in a new trail, being brought before this Appeals Court.

      Delete