Friday, June 15, 2012

4th of June, 2012


We were pleased to have this smoked salmon luncheon prepared for us...with champagne for our anniversary!  Joan and her good friend, Betty made this for us.  It was a wonderful and delicious surprise!  Thanks to you both!
And these creamy roses were to die for in this flower bouquet that Richard's parents had for our anniversary.  Thank you, Joan and Peter!

June 4th was also  the night of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert in London and also the night that beacons were lit all over the United Kingdom in honor of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.    There was to be a beacon lighting in Eastbourne and I had no idea what to expect...we saw where the beacon would be...it was near the Wish Tower in Eastbourne, and it had a little fence around it.  When the time drew near, we heard drummers coming, so we hurried to the sound... I found this clip from You-tube and would you believe it, I am just behind that last torch-bearer.  Wow, that was some fire, let me tell you!
 This was the big screen that had the concert next to the beacon!

We left the crowds in front of the TV screen and walked along the seafront.  The sun was setting and the light was golden upon the clouds and the water.  Very peaceful and quiet... we could just hear the concert in the distance... 


Did Queen Victoria really ever say "We are not amused"?  I hope that she did...somehow, I wished that Prince Charles would have said that too...instead, he thanked the comedians for their "jolly good jokes" and I think he was being politely sarcastic because maybe I missed something, but listening to the concert in a big crowd, I didn't hear one funny thing from any of them.   Oh well, as long as Paul McCartney sings in a concert, that's all it takes for me to remember it forever!
I did sing "God Save The Queen" along with the crowd but I only know the first verse.  The funny thing, the crowd only knew the first verse too!  When I mentioned this to my father-in-law, it amused him to read this same observation in The Daily Mail the next day!



28 comments:

  1. That luncheon, those flowers and the walk along the seafront....sounds like a divine way to celebrate an anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very memorable anniversary! You would love all the flowers along the seafront too!

      Delete
  2. The more you share, the more glad i am for you that you got to be there.

    Agree with you about the concert -- if McCartney was in it, it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi,
      Sir Paul can sing for me anyday!

      Delete
  3. How lovely to celebrate your anniversary like that, I am so happy for the two of you! Those roses look wonderful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meike,
      Those roses!! They were the most beautiful creamy color and they bloomed out beautifully, it made such a nice contrast with the dark purple. I wish I could paint and capture that color forever!

      Delete
  4. The beacon parade looks like a lot of fun. What a lovely surprise you had with the champagne lunch, and your flowers were gorgeous.
    We'll have to agree to disagree about Paul McCartney, I wish he would retire gracefully, along with Cliff and Elton!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Elton John. And I know folks make fun of Cliff Richard but I like him, even though his voice might not be the same. But Sir Paul! Tracey, Tracey, the man is a gift to to the world!! He was easily the best one during the concert for me. Kylie with her gyrating dancers and Grace Jones with the hula hoop..."we are not amused" should apply there too!

      Delete
    2. Grace Jones was very odd, as always, although obviously very fit. My friend's mum used to go to the Cavern Club in her lunchtimes in the early sixties, and saw the Beatles many times.

      Delete
    3. My sister and I loved the Beatles. We had the Beatles figures with the bobbing heads. Our mother left them behind when we moved. Typical! They are worth quite a bit of money now.

      Delete
  5. Looks so lovely! I love smoked salmon. It's one of my favourite things to eat. And those flowers are gorgeous. What a nice surprise all that must have been. Your in-laws seem like such nice people. You're lucky to have them. But they're also so lucky to have you! The beacon parade looks like fun. I'm so glad you had such a great time.

    And I do hope Queen Victoria said "We are not amused". It's one of my favourite expressions. I use it often jokingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This was the first time I have had smoked salmon in my life! :-)
      I also say "We are not amused"...and it seems there are a lot of times lately to say it! (Especially when watching TV).

      Delete
  6. I only know the first verse too. I just did a poll. Nobody I asked knows the second verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Eastbourne, everyone just kind of hummed the second verse and then sang "God Save The Queen" at the end!
      I wrote out the second verse for my inlaws and told them they have to memorize it. Yes, I really do things like that!
      We stole the tune for "My Country, Tis Of Thee"!

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary! How lovely to celebrate it in England along with the Queen's own special occasion! Thanks for popping by my blog and yes, "Debra" does mean "honeybee" in Hebrew. "She Who Seeks" is a more interpretative translation of the same concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! It was very nice of the Queen to do that, just for us! :-)

      Delete
  8. It sure sounds like you had a jolly good time ;p I really think the phrase "jolly good" is severely underused! Love both pics of the seafront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the pics of the seafront, we have about a million more! :-) Jolly good!

      Delete
  9. Awe, Happy Happy Anniversary! Looks like a wonderful day, filled with love. **blows kisses** Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah! It was very nice and I hope you and your husband are enjoying each and every day!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely anniversary treat! And how utterly amazing to go to Youtube and find yourself unexpectedly on it in a celebration. That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, if only they had lingered a bit...you would have seen me in the blue coat that I borrowed from my mother-in-law!

      Delete
  11. With regards to the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, I tend to agree with Tracey's earlier comment that he should retire gracefully. I did, however, rather like Madness on the palace roof and my favourite comedian, Peter Kay.

    Best wishes on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bryan!
      Thanks for your comment! Yes, I think I liked them too! Were they the ones that sang "Our House" and then had the different houses displayed on Buckingham Palace? Brilliant! I must have missed Peter Kay, but I like his last name! :-)
      My father in law recorded the concert in full for us, and we saw most of it but skimmed through it since we were going out and planned to watch it in full later. After we got back, something went wrong and all that he had recorded was gone, the concert, the flotilla...everything! Oh well, such is life!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful post! Glad you shared your amazing day with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not often people get the chance to sing the rest of God save the Queen. I wonder if the Royals even know it haha.
    What a wonderful week it was though. Very nicely done. I loved Charles kissing her hand.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janice!
      It was a great week and I was happy to be in England during the Diamond Jublilee Celebrations!

      Delete