Saturday, September 3, 2011

Respect

A good bit of my morning was spent watering and then trying to weed around some lamb's ear plants.  It occurred to me how lovely these plants are and as I stroked the leaves and felt the velvety texture I marvelled that such a seemingly fragile plant can be so very hardy.  Looking at the information on the different gardening websites, many of the descriptions were not very inspiring, calling this plant "invasive" and a "common ground cover".  In other words, they don't get too much respect. I finally found something positive written by Marcia Tatroe in The Herb Companion Magazine...

"Few silver-foliaged plants are grown more widely than lamb's ears.  Even the sophisticated gardener who has long since tossed out other beginner's plants still values this silver-gray beauty and the impact it has on other colors in the garden".

She then went on to say that one may dry the leaves and steep them for tea.  Also, children will take them and  put them on their scrapes and cuts and they act as a natural bandage.  I found that interesting  but I just like the way that they look and I am grateful that they can survive in this brutal heat that we call summer.  "In our busy lives, we need to stop and take take to appreciate all the natural beauty that surrounds us each day."  Someone left that comment at the very bottom of my blog and I agree!

These are the lamb's ears next to the Dutch irises that my brother gave us as bulbs years ago! This photo was made in April of this year and not long after those tall stalks had purple flowers on the top that the bees were crazy about.  We left the flowers on there as long as we could, just for the bees!




8 comments:

  1. Isn't it odd to categorize plants into "beginner's plants" and those for the "sophisticated gardener"? Of course I understand that some plants need more care than others, but they are all essentially kitted out quite well to survive in their natural surroundings. A modest herb growing on alpine heights deserves certainly as much respect as any well-looked after orchid in someone's living room.
    Love the irises! These are among my mum's favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes these gardening sites are a bit on the snobbish side. I have noticed that sunflowers seem to be more popular in Europe than they are here...and sunflowers are native to this country! Richard has flowers like gilardia and coreopis that a lot of gardeners find too "weedy" looking...but they do very well in Georgia. Oh, and tell your Mom a late happy birthday from me and show her my irises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very wonderful to hear from you, visit you and your garden, and to know that you too leave something just for the bees!

    I love these silver-furred plants and I love how the children always respond to them with love and excitement...just the way grown-ups should.

    All joys to you SKG from another S.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyful Sharon,
    Thank you so much for your comment! I just KNEW you would love lamb's ear too. Great respect for YOUR beautiful gardens and your beautiful books. Anyone reading this, please click on Sharon's link and read about her beautiful homes and gardens in California and Maine. What joy she conveys! Thanks again. (Sharon) Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather here is changing, my garden is starting to look dull. Plants haven't done well this year. With the extreme heat and rain, and hail etc!!!!!
    Love and thanks so much for commenting. I agree with you the card and squares are superb!
    I have quite a few of Kianies cards, she always sends with her squares.
    Bless her. bless you too for a great blog.
    Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    YOUR garden dull? Never! Not only do I love the squares that you receive, I love the way that you arrange them in your garden. You are an artist, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Westwood,
    Just read a book this summer that tells the true story of Dr. Henri Hekking who saved hundreds of lives with wild herbs from the jungle. The name of the book is Last Man Out: Surviving the Burma-Thailand Death Railway by H. Robert Charles.

    ReplyDelete