Friday, September 9, 2011

A Gluten Free Talk

Absolutely there are more gluten free items available now. Also, there are some brilliant women and men who have such positive energy with their gluten free websites and blogs that they have been a powerful force for the advancement and improvement for those who have celiac disease or other gluten free issues.  Oh, and some of those "gluten free" foods?  They cost about 3 or 4 times more than I can afford to pay for them...and even if you do buy them, oftentimes, they taste terrible!  More people should know about foods being gluten free, but I fear that many just think of it as a "trend" and not a real health issue. My celiac husband usually just tells folks that he is allergic since that is easier for people to understand. When he was in the hospital recently, the nurses tried to give him wheat crackers to take with his medicine! Luckily, he was awake enough to tell them he couldn't eat them.  I was able to go to the vending machine and buy him peanut M&M's (they are gluten free) and the nurses LAUGHED at me, they were highly amused by it.  Even though I tried to explain celiac disease (to nurses!) I still don't think they understood. Oh dear, it all comes down to respect, doesn't it..  I think if someone told me that they could only eat purple foods and only on a Tuesday, I think I would call the store for them and make sure they had eggplants, grapes and plums on the Monday before! 
Many good foods just happen to be gluten-free.  There is nothing magical about it...it just means, the foods should not contain wheat, barley, rye or oats.  (Yes, I know it is possible for oats to be gluten free but my husband still does not trust them.)   I am very thankful for those stores that now have gluten free lists for their products and also for those brave companies willing to put those wonderful, beautiful words on their labels: GLUTEN FREE.

7 comments:

  1. Kay,

    I don't trust oats either. I know a lot of other people can tolerate them ... but, I am still wary.

    It is alarming when medical professionals don't know what celiac disease is. Or even worse, when they can't safely feed you when you're in the hospital!

    Love the face your son made. :) Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tina!
    I wish I could use oats for him...I can make the BEST granola!
    Can you tell that I am still upset by my encounter with the nurses? Not only that, but when he was ADMITTED to the hospital and even though it was in the record that he needed to have everything gluten free... the nurses told me "It says REGULAR diet". The doctor told me later HE was the one who had ordered that... he was most concerned to get Richard eating again (He had lost 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks) that it was HIS fault...perhaps others don't have this kind of trouble, maybe we are just unlucky...but just remember, you MUST be diligent in finding out what you are eating and that goes for ANYWHERE, even hospitals!
    On a happier note... my son is glad that you like his face made of food! He is a big strapping lad now in college, but he will still do something like that...and photograph it! You see, our boys will always be our boys...don't forget it!
    Thank you for your comment! Hope I am not TOO negative!
    :-) Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and my fruit jello-mold is a Tupperware mold and it is from my dear mother-in-law from England! As is the dear little navy blue polka-dot dish beside it! THANK YOU JOAN!!! In 2010, I was able to stow that in my carry-on luggage back from England, and the dishes fit PERFECTLY inside that jello mold (or jelly mold, as it would be called in England.) I love that mold and I love those dear little plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a terrible experience you had when your husband was in the hospital. It underscores the need for more doctors and nurses to be educated about celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.

    I love the face, and the jello reminds me of the many jello molds my mom has made over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda,
    It really was an unsettling experience. What surprised me was that I would have expected that reaction years ago, but NOW that gluten free issues are so much better known? Anyway, you can be assured that there are a few nurses at our local hospital who won't be laughing at ME anymore! (Hey, I wasn't too terrible to them, but I think I made my point.)
    And I am very glad that you like my son's artwork with his food. And doesn't that jello look so cool and delicious? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your husband's hospital story, Kay ... as appalling as it is. It incenses me, but I'm glad you shared it. I always think about the people too ill to be aware they are getting gluten or small children who may not know better. Really appalling. I truly do not believe that many folks who are not gluten free understand what it means, and sometimes that extends to even medical professionals who should know, whose business it is to know.

    Love the face! But hate Jello! LOL, but true.

    Hugs,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shirley!
    "Who should know, whose business it is to know", amen to that sister! And yes, it is hard for folks to understand but we are doing our best, aren't we, Shirley!!
    C. will be thrilled that you love his face too!
    Oh, and you should try cranberry juice or some of your lovely POM juice instead of water in the jello, makes all the difference in the world! (This came from my Fannie Farmer cookbook).

    ReplyDelete